What's new

can Joe be a japanese name too?

gunblade007

先輩
11 Mar 2005
hey everyone,

it's me again. i was wondering if Joe could be a japanese name? i know ken can be a japanese name too. that means ''healthy,strong'' in japanese. i do notice there's alot of japanese names and words that go with Joe. like jo a 4 foot long wooden staff used in some japanese martial arts and the garment worn by shinto priests is called Joe and there's some anime and video games characters with the name Joe. like champion joe and crusher joe and viewtiful joe and katsuya jonouchi (aka joey wheeler) from yu-gi-oh! but i think they don't use the ''E'' on joe so they go by JO. which here in the usa is a female version of Joe. well talk to you later.

sincerely,
-Joe:)

I believe the wooden staff you're referring to is called a Bo, not a Joe.

The composer Joe Hisaishi romanizes his name as "Joe," though it would be Jou under a standard romanization scheme.

The Bo staff (棒) is longer than the Jo staff (杖), which is generally 3-5 feet long, though I've never seen either used in a name.

Fact is, [Jo:] is a sound that exists in native Japanese pronunciation, and there are many kanji that can be read that way, but I'm not sure if it's anyone's complete name, and as Jimmyseal said, it would be romanized "Jou" or "Jo" unless the person purposefully wrote it as "Joe."

Odagiri Joe

Actor Odagiri Joe is another famous Japanese guy who spells his name with an "E". However, I was told most guys with such a name don't do that. They just spell it in romaji as "Jo", but in katakana it's "ジョウ" (Jyou or Jou)。

Odagiri Joe

thanks jimmyseal,nice gaijin,and dogen z,
i know there's different styles of writing beside kanji and they all different meanings i guess it's how you write that gives it that meaning. i want to learn japanese myself. i'm just curious if joe would have any meanings? i know another name that's popular in japan that's also american name and that's sari. someone told me they think it means "to exclude," "to narrate," "slowly," and "equal."

Practically any name can be a Japanese name.....if a Japanese decides to give it to their Japanese child. My children are Japanese citizens and have names you probably would not think of as "Japanese".

Can "Takashi" be an American name?

well mike cash maybe not but some names have more then one origin and might have different meanings. like shun it's mostly a japanese name but it's also a chinese name too. Joseph is a hebrew name use in the bible but people who aren't jewish has that name. by the way i'm kind of curious how you pronounce the name jou?

well mike cash maybe not but some names have more then one origin and might have different meanings. like shun it's mostly a japanese name but it's also a chinese name too. Joseph is a hebrew name use in the bible but people who aren't jewish has that name. by the way i'm kind of curious how you pronounce the name jou?

I pronounce it 窶堋カ窶堙・窶堋、

NG and I know a hearty chap named Joe. He's American; therefore, Joe cannot be a Japanese name. However, that might change if he ever ends up getting married someday to a bonnie Japanese lass.

Until that day, NO, Joe cannot be a Japanese name. Your dreams of being named after a stick will have to remain as such.

i know there's different styles of writing beside kanji and they all different meanings i guess it's how you write that gives it that meaning. i want to learn japanese myself. i'm just curious if joe would have any meanings? i know another name that's popular in japan that's also american name and that's sari. someone told me they think it means "to exclude," "to narrate," "slowly," and "equal."
Basically, the meaning depends on the kanji you use for "jou". The kanji you mentioned here ("to exclude," "to narrate," "slowly," and "equal.") would be 除, 叙, 徐, respectively("Jo/Jou" as "equall"??). They are "jo(short-voweled)", not "jou(long-voweled)". A kanji dictionary I have has 116 kanji for "jou." Plus, it also has 23 kanji for "jo", 43 for "u". Thus, theoretically, 989 compounds can be made for "jou". Furthermore, since Japanese Family Registration Law doesn't have any clauses regarding the readings of kanji for names, you can give ANY kind of meaning to the name "Jou", in theory.

Joe can be, and is, a Japanese name. While I lived there I spelled it in Japanese as ニ淡ニ停?。ツーツ and I spelled my full name Joseph as ニ淡ニ停?。ニ短ニ稚 which I used on my official hanko along with my last name.

thanks jimmyseal,nice gaijin,and dogen z,
Just for the record, the kanji used in both Joe Hisaishi's and Joe Odagiri's name is ツ湘キツ、which means "to yield or give."

In Digimon Adventure the name of the character Kido Jou (ツ湘ゥナ津仰 ツ湘、)ツ is translated to English as Joe.

I think they're still two different names with close pronunciations and people use the English Joe when romanizing because it's popular. :)

Many languages have names and words in common so it tends to get confusing sometimes :?

Back
Top Bottom