What's new

Japanese Cigarettes:

jread

先輩
Contributor
26 Mar 2004
Not sure if there are many smokers on here but I am wonder what some good brands of Japanese cigarettes might be?

I'm not a hardcore smoker but I like to on occasion (usually on weekends). My latest thing is trying cigarettes from different countries to see which ones I like. If anyone has some good suggestions, please let me know.

(P.S. I do not need nor want to hear any of the "smoking is gross" crap, so please do not post if you're one of these people)

Not a cigarette smoker myself, but I would like to point out that while Japan imports a lot of foreign (mostly U.S.) cigarettes, the quality of the domestically produced cigarettes isn't such that there is much clamor for them outside Japan.

I have yet to hear a foreigner have a kind word regarding the taste/quality of a Japanese cigarette.

i would suggest mild sevens. :D
mostly because you see anime characters smoking that brand all the time, so it must be decent. and because i'm a good child with not smoking i wouldn't be able to tell you that they have a mildly minty after taste and if your into lights then you may like those.

i too would like to give japanese ciggies a go!
i have had cigarettes from beijing...i think they were Great Wall...man, proper killer on the lungs! about 17mg of tar and about 1.4mg of nicotine!
ouchie!!!!

well...I did smoke, but I don't really smoke unless if I feel like it *giggles*

but I wouldn't mind trying japanese cigarettes, if they are any.

Indeed most of the Japanese people I know in Canada smoke Marlboro Light. Many will ask friends to bring them some when visiting the States. Nobody (not that I know) asks friends and relatives who go back to Japan to bring back Japanese cigarettes. So, maybe for many, American cigarettes taste better.

Wait .ツ… two months ago a friend did give me 6 packs of Japanese cigarettes, but I gave five away. From what I've remembered they tasted pretty okay, not as strong as Canadian cigarettes, and on the box it said something like "Made in China" in kanjis. I will post the brand when I recall the brand. ^_^

Cigarettes in Japan seemed pretty much the same as cigarettes anywhere else to me. But I can't really tell much difference between cigarettes anyway. The thing that got me smoking in Japan is that they're so cheap (compared to the U.S.) and they're sold in vending machines everywhere.

Brooker said:
The thing that got me smoking in Japan is that they're so cheap (compared to the U.S.) and they're sold in vending machines everywhere.
Yes, my father used to send me to buy cigarettes for him, knowing that I would have fun using a vending machine when I was little. As a result I started smoking as well. :eek:

I only smoked imported cigarettes, but Mild Seven is still popular in Japan; there are a couple of others I remember like 'Cabin' and 'Highlight'.

mikecash said:
Not a cigarette smoker myself, but I would like to point out that while Japan imports a lot of foreign (mostly U.S.) cigarettes, the quality of the domestically produced cigarettes isn't such that there is much clamor for them outside Japan.

I have yet to hear a foreigner have a kind word regarding the taste/quality of a Japanese cigarette.
Really? I had a few Japanese Marlboro Lights (produced in Japan) left over last time I came back, so I bought a pack here to compare and I honestly thought the Japanese ones were a bit better.

Mild Sevens are about the closest thing to a US cigarette I smoked... then again, it might be the only one. On a note -- most US brand cigarettes taste different there. They use funky filters. For the record -- Thailand had the worst Marlboro Light I ever had. Blech.

I found that Mild Seven brand accounts for about 30% of sales in Japan, followed by Seven Star and Marlboro brands. The two brands held 8.5% each of sales in 2003. Other brands held 8% or less of the market.

Don't ask me about taste--I don't smoke. 😊

Thanks epigene.

Now I remember. I was given Mild Seven, which, in my opinion, tasted better than most Canadian cigarettes like Du Mourier, Players, Rothman & etc.. However, my friend told me Seven Star tastes better than Mild Seven. Okay, at least one person recommends Seven Star which I have never tasted.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

It seems that Mild Sevens are fairly easy to get here in the U.S., so I will try to find some :)

IMHO ....

There are or have been only two brands of cigarettes, ever, anywhere in the world ..... worth smoking.... !

Gauloises... and Gitanes.... !

Smoking?...Kore wa ... "Vive La France !"

Sadly - the last time I found any - in Victoria BC - they were $140 per carton !

..... I bought 200 .... !

I have known several Japanese who buy Japanese cigarettes and stuff them in a Marlboro red carton, just to "look cool." Granted these are college-age men and women.

Sensuikan San said:
IMHO ....

There are or have been only two brands of cigarettes, ever, anywhere in the world ..... worth smoking.... !

Gauloises... and Gitanes.... !

Smoking?...Kore wa ... "Vive La France !"

Sadly - the last time I found any - in Victoria BC - they were $140 per carton !

..... I bought 200 .... !

Man, you're hard core. I smoked Gitanes once on a trip to Hungary when I was about sixteen and literally crapped my pants. Those things are strong.

Well ..... I guess .... there are men ........ and there are men !

Strangely, though - I once had the misfortune (one week before I married, in 1967 ...) to find myself in hospital with a busted lung. (There's a promotion for French smokes!)

My (...chain smoking, Australian ...) surgeon informed me that French cigarettes were actually much less likely to give rise to cancer than other brands ! It appears that they contained less sugar, which is one of the major culprits in all that stuff we inhale.

I found that they also deterred the approach of mosquitoes, dogs, small children and insurance salesmen too ..... !

Regards,

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

Sensuikan San said:
My (...chain smoking, Australian ...) surgeon informed me that French cigarettes were actually much less likely to give rise to cancer than other brands ! It appears that they contained less sugar, which is one of the major culprits in all that stuff we inhale.

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?彈/QUOTE]

But when he said, "sugar", what he really meant to say was arsenic and ground horse hooves. 👍

Learning something new.

m477 said:
Really? I had a few Japanese Marlboro Lights (produced in Japan) left over last time I came back, so I bought a pack here to compare and I honestly thought the Japanese ones were a bit better.

Wow! That's interesting about the Japanese Marlboro Lights. I bought a couple of packs in Tokyo last summer and I didn't notice any difference between those and the ones in the U.S.

I was with a Japanese girl in Roppongi and she was smoking something in (I think) a light blue package. Would those be Mild Seven?

when i was in japan, i smoked the cigarettes...lol...but i forget which. sorry. yea...they would say stuff about tar...lol...it was funny to read the packages

watch shina ringo stuff....she always has a pack of cigarettes laying around somewhere in pictures or videos...lol

Gotta love the Japanese smoking warning... "Smoking can be hazardous to your health, so be careful not to smoke too much." :)

Back
Top Bottom