What's new

More than half of Yayoi were from coastal China (Jiangsu)

newd

後輩
8 Nov 2008
Evidence from Y-markers
According to Xue et al: Male demography of east Asia: Contrast in expansion times

Japanese have 23% haplogroup O3a5, which is Chinese specific haplogroup

While, for Koreans (counting both north and south), the frequency is only 18% and for Tungusics, it is around 10-20%.

Evidence from mtdna-markers
Here is a genetic study in 2005, done by NHA (Japanese genetics association)

Biggest contributor to DNA sequence is in bold

Korean DNA sequence is made up of:
40.6% Korean
21.9% Chinese
1.6% Ainu
17.4% Okinawan
18.5% Unidentified

Japanese DNA sequence is made up of:
4.8% Japanese
24.2% Korean
25.8% Chinese
8.1% Ainu
16.1% Okinawan
21% Unidentified

Chinese DNA sequence is made up of:
60.6% Chinese
1.5% Japanese
10.6% Korean
1.5% Ainu
10.6% Okinawan
15.2% Unidentified
Evidence from DNA base markers (autosomal DNA)

In recent years, more archaeological and genetic evidence have been found in both eastern China and western Japan to lend credibility to this argument. Between 1996 and 1999, a team led by Satoshi Yamaguchi, a researcher at Japan's National Science Museum, compared Yayoi remains found in Japan's Yamaguchi and Fukuoka prefectures with those from early Han Dynasty (202 BC-8) in China's coastal Jiangsu province, and found many similarities between the skulls and limbs of Yayoi people and the Jiangsu remains.[8] Two Jiangsu skulls showed spots where the front teeth had been pulled, a practice common in Japan in the Yayoi and preceding Jōmon period. The genetic samples from three of the 36 Jiangsu skeletons also matched part of the DNA base arrangements of samples from the Yayoi remains.

Chinese have big nose holes, that is not the case of most Japanese people.
That's only the case for some Chinese. Chinese have big lips, darker features, which are common in Japanese living in Honshu, Kyushu, Shikoku.

Go in Google and search for

mtDNA Polymorphism in East Asian Populations, with Special
Reference to the Peopling of Japan

This will link to an actual study by Satoshi Horai.

Umm, in my opinion it is hard to define all encompassing trait(s). So I think it is really hard to make a solid argument for who has mostly what traits etc.. I mean i guess without doing a proper scientific study on the traits (looks) themselves (which would be really hard to do I think). You can swap pictures and give examples all day, but it will not amount to any real solid definitions on appearance.

Back
Top Bottom