What's new

Good, Solid Japanese Song

pookaloe

Registered
30 Sep 2014
Hello,
I am a musician and my female vocalist and I have been tasked with performing a Japanese song for Japanese dignitaries visiting in the United States.
It's in our best interest to perform something that is a proud piece of Japanese Culture-something that is timeless, but not necessarily old, and would make someone from Japan feel at home when they listen to it.
Some good American examples would be Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash, Landslide by Fleetwood Mac, or a pop tune by Michael Jackson or Bruno Mars.
Basically, something any Japanese person would recognize and appreciate.
I realize that this is a really loaded question, but any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

"Ue o muite arukō"

I thought about that one. It's a beautiful song. Everybody knows the song; it was even a hit overseas.

But everybody in Japan knows that Sakamoto Kyu died in a horrible airliner crash. I thought it might not be so good to remind people who have a flight in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about choosing out of a Japanese famous female singer?

"Hibari Misora"
Kawa no nagare no yō ni (ツ静ャ窶堙娯?板ャ窶堙ェ窶堙娯?堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙? 1989)

"Momoe Yamaguchi"
Ii Hi Tabidachi ("Leaving on a good day", 窶堋「窶堋「窶愿コ窶板キ窶板ァ窶堋ソ, 21 November 1978)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another "drive-by" poster who doesn't even bother to come back and check for replies....

People expecting others to take their problems more seriously than they do and to put more effort into solving them than they do annoy me no end.

Another "drive-by" poster who doesn't even bother to come back and check for replies....

People expecting others to take their problems more seriously than they do and to put more effort into solving them than they do annoy me no end.

Thanks everybody for the replies!
Sorry for not replying sooner-I was notified on the first post but not on any of the following ones.
I think that we are going to go with the Aoi Sanmyaku song as performed by Masako Mori.
Thanks again, this has been a huge help!
Mike

Happy to have been of help. If you video the performance, please share it with us.

Back
Top Bottom