Note that this thread was started 2404 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

Thread: Japanese Movie Recommendations

後輩 Male
    Join Date Feb 3, 2008
    Posts 2
    Lithuania

Japanese Movie Recommendations

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

Hey guys, so like I didn't find a thread like this after alittle work with the search thingy and since I wanted to ask for some recommendations, here it is =3

So like, I wanna watch somethin' that has a good story and is about modern japanese school life... Just not about how the main character's getting bullied... That stuff doesn't rly agree with me Anyway, I'd like the main character to be a guy and possibly badass... If not badass then just a guy who doesn't let ppl walk all over him Thx
    先輩 Female
    Join Date Sep 23, 2005
    Location England, Hampshire
    Posts 1,275
    United Kingdom
    You're probably more likely to see such a story line in an anime series, are there any other types of movies that you like? Martial arts, thrillers, old culture etc?

I've heard School Rumble is very good, its a high school type anime;

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/35149...1/Product.html

後輩 Male
    Join Date Feb 3, 2008
    Posts 2
    Lithuania
    Aw, is there seriously no movies about school life? Damn it, I wanted to see what it's rly like =p
    後輩 Female
    Join Date Apr 28, 2008
    Posts 9
    United States
    Aw, is there seriously no movies about school life? Damn it, I wanted to see what it's rly like =p

THERE SURE ARE DUDDDDDEEEEEEEEE

Hana yori dango
    Hana kimi
    the best perhaps: Nobuta wo produce
    Okama XD Female
    Join Date Mar 10, 2004
    Location Poland
    Posts 398
    Poland
    So like, I wanna watch somethin' that has a good story and is about modern japanese school life... Just not about how the main character's getting bullied... That stuff doesn't rly agree with me Anyway, I'd like the main character to be a guy and possibly badass... If not badass then just a guy who doesn't let ppl walk all over him Thx
    I've got perfect drama for you. My Boss My Hero. The main character is a yakuza boss' son, really stupid (in his late twenties). The yakuza boss said that if he can graduate from high school, he will be next yakuza leader. It's hilarious.

Dwelling in Here - a blog on living... currently in Warsaw, Poland.
    Economist in Residence Male
    Join Date Jul 1, 2005
    Location Chofu
    Posts 200
    Japan-Tokyo
    PERFECT movie: Blue Spring. (Though it's a mis-translation as it really is 青春).
    I love this film and the main character is that 'badass' you're looking for.

IWAI Shunji made a great film called All About Lily Chou-Chou (リリイシュ・シュのすべて).

Something that is more fun, is Waterboys, which is about a high school male synchronized swimming team - based on a true story. I have a friend who actually attended the high school that the story is about, and he says they still have a very good male synchronized swimming team.

I have tons of other great movie recommendations, but they're not about school life. And FYI, the reason why there are so many movies made about いじめ is that it truly is a big problem across Japan and many people can sympathize with the characters.
    継続は力なり Male
    Join Date Apr 30, 2007
    Location 千葉県
    Posts 1,125
    Japan-Chiba
    I recently watched Linda Linda Linda. I wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out to be a nice little movie about a band of highschool girls who play at a school festival and all the troubles they have and sub-dramas along the way. That would probably be a good look at school life in Japan, plus it was a pretty good movie.
    aka YOSUQUE Male
    Join Date Apr 23, 2007
    Location  Tokyo, Jpn
    Posts 1,035
    Japan-Tokyo

Ichi

I went to see Ichi today and I want to let you know that it's not Azumi. It doesn't rely on gimmicks as in Beat Takeshi's Zatoichi and she's not an undefeatable fighter as Azumi was. Actually, sometimes you feel frightened for her as she admits she is. "I can't see so I'm afraid." And in the end, you wish she would just take up an ordinary life of a schoolteacher or something.

I give it a solid recommendation: 4 out of 5 stars. See it if you get a chance (but it's entirely in Japanese in the theater).

A longer, better review can be found here:

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/sitg...8-ichi-review/
    後輩 Female
    Join Date Nov 27, 2008
    Location mALAysIA
    Posts 5
    Malaysia
    I've got perfect drama for you. My Boss My Hero. The main character is a yakuza boss' son, really stupid (in his late twenties). The yakuza boss said that if he can graduate from high school, he will be next yakuza leader. It's hilarious.
    i watch this "My boss My hero" last month ...
    very nice story and make me laugh most of the time
    "Crows zero" also great ... because i like action genre
    now i`m waiting for "crows zero 2" hahaa
    do anyone can suggest any action movie with great fighting scene ?
    or about yakuza ?