What's new

Buy a traditional futon mattress

alex23474

Registered
12 May 2014
Hello I want to buy a traditional japanese futon mattress! I have googled and can not find the real thing. 100% cottonbatting etc. Can anybody give some links?

By the way, what's the aprox. price for a twin size if you buy it in Japan?

It just occurred to me that this is probably one of the threads where I am thought to be mean or unhelpful, since on the surface it appears to be nothing more than a "Go google it!" sort of reply.

A few points:

1. His trouble googling a source for the futon online was probably due to using the wrong search terms. I gave him search terms which I know will yield sites selling futon online, because I went and googled it myself before suggesting the terms to anyone else. He asked for links, and the terms I suggested will yield more links than he can shake a stick at. Where are the links from the rest of you?

2. I post from my truck, via my iPhone, and I wasn't about to go wading through all those sites doing a needle-in-a-haystack search for a merchant who will accept overseas orders. I helped to the extent that it was practical for me to do so, given time and equipment limitations.

3. I will point out that of all the people who thought my reply mean, rude, or unhelpful, not a damned one of you made even the slightest effort to help. So if you don't like the way I try to help or find it inadequate then STEP UP and do better. Same thing in the thread where I suggested calling or visiting the ward office as an easy solution to the poster's problem. I caught all sorts of crap on that one for being mean and callous. Yet not only was it the most surefire and responsible answer to the problem and in no way burdensome to the poster, it was another example of everybody griping about me being "mean" while NOBODY else suggested anything AT ALL.

Well, so far all the mean negative people on the forum have tried to be helpful. Wondering when all the my-sh!t-don't-stink friendly positive people are going to help out. I won't be holding my breath.

alex23474
What type of floor does the room have? If it isn't tatami then "the real thing" won't function the way it was meant to, due to ventilation and room microclimate. Although you may try to achieve necessary conditions with wood flooring.

We use ours for guests in a room with hardwood floors that has a rug on it. No complaints from the J guests, but perhaps there is nothing one can assess in a short-term arrangement such as that.

Made in Maine futon.

Years ago I bought a "futon" here in Maine. It is 6 inches thick and weighs a ton and feels like it is filled with beach sand , hard as a rock , but good for my bad back. No idea why they called it a futon.

Uncle Frank

😊

Hello all,

I too have recently (a couple years) been wanting to get a futon mattress.
To save space. I don't want a bed frame and have been using this 'futon couch' that
came with the apartment for a couple years now. Plus I have too much stuff already.
I sometimes lay down blankets on the floor because the futon couch isn't the best, anyway.

I've found two sites so far in my short search.

I do have (at least) one question on these if anyone has knowledge.

This might be a superficial question, but...

One site has a picture with the futon rolled up (the first),
one with it folded (the 2nd site).
Is one design better?
Or is it just they way to chose to do the photo shoot
and all futons can be stored either way?

Also, the 2nd site offers a slightly longer version.
I'm barely squeak into the regular length futon of 75 inches.
Maybe the one or two inch leeway isn't too much of a deal?
I have little experience in sleeping so opinions on this latter question would help a lot. :LOL:

Seriously,
I'm not connected with either of these stores,
I'm interested in a futon, in the US, and am just starting my search.

Shiki Futon Mat | HaikuDesigns.com

Japanese Shiki Futons - J-Life Shiki Futons - Shikibuton - Shikifuton Japanese mattress

Back
Top Bottom