What's new

Can not view Japanese symbols

jeri

後輩
15 Mar 2002
I have tried everything and still can not view japanese symbols. I am using IE 5.5.

Please help.

Thanks

Hi Jeri,

IE actually offers excellent language support. Have you already downloaded all necessary language support components? if you open your IE browser, select "Tools" and head for the "Windows Update". Just check all Japanese language tools and start the download.

Basically, IE offers the following Japanese language encoding (select "View" > "Encoding"):

Japanese (Auto-Select)
Japanese (Shift-JIS)
Japanese (EUC)

Here some excerpts from Microsoft's support pages:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOM
When you have the Japanese Language Support component installed in Internet Explorer and you view a Japanese-language Web site, the text may be unreadable.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if Internet Explorer cannot automatically detect the character set used on the Japanese Web site.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, manually select the appropriate language in Internet Explorer:

Internet Explorer 4.0, 4.01, 4.01 Service Pack 1
On the View menu, point to Fonts, and then click Japanese (Auto Select).

-or-

Right-click a blank area on the Web page, point to Language, and then click Japanese (Auto Select).

Internet Explorer 5+
On the View menu, point to Encoding, point to More, and then click Japanese (Auto Select).

Additional query words: garbled illegible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helped you a bit! :)

Btw, we have added a new section dedicated to Japanese language processing on non-Japanese systems:

Hi, to view Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana you can go online to a site ,www.kanjisite.com to learn to read, and write in Japanese . It is the program I am using and I highly recommend it !

Koji chan

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Koji
Hi, to view Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana you can go online to a site , www.kanjisite.com to learn to read and write in Japanese . It is the program I am using and I highly recommend it !

It seems the URL doesn't appear to work when I tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found a sweet shortcut around not being able to see Japanese characters on your browser...

http://web.shodouka.com/

This site turns the garbage into images... A little intense on memory, but well worth it.

Thanks for the link, John. Shodouka is a great page, these guys are already online since 1995.
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom