What's new

Career in underwater archeology

You're an undergraduate now, right? I suggest you first look into what universities, both in Japan and in the US, are well-known in that field. Your aim would be to get a PhD place somewhere highly respected; if in the US or otherwise outside Japan, ideally from somewhere with a "big name" people will recognise (e.g. if you were in the UK I'd say go for Maritime Archaeology - School of Archaeology - University of Oxford ), then make the right contacts during your PhD.

Although I know some people who are or have been researchers at Japanese universities, my understanding is generally that it is extremely difficult, nearly impossible, for them to get permanent jobs and be promoted (at least in part this is a language issue - inability to take on teaching and administrative duties). Much easier to base yourself in the US/UK/wherever and apply for travel grants and similar to do joint work with Japanese researchers.

I am finish my undergraduate at the University of Florida. My major will be a history degree and plan get a minor in Japanes. But these are long term goals. I hope having Japanese as minor that I can speak fluenty Japanese. Then plan on getting a grad from a good university where I can study feudal japan. For my PHD I don't know yet. I want to archeology on the Japanese islands or at sea. I want to make a career out of this and doing research on Japan. I know it's a big dream but I believe you need a dream so, you can fight for it. I would love advice that can help get more information or feedback. Yes, am not a good writer so, no bashing. I am trying to improve heavily on my writing skills. So, be nice.

I didn't say anything about your writing skills - but that is something you will need to polish up if you're going for an academic career. See if your university offers classes on academic writing.

I didn't say anything about your writing skills - but that is something you will need to polish up if you're going for an academic career. See if your university offers classes on academic writing.

It not you nekojit. It other people. I am doing classes to polish my writing.

I hope having Japanese as minor that I can speak fluenty [sic] Japanese.
Not the least likely unless you are a savant.

From history in a narrowly defined era to archaeology under the ocean in a specific location in the world, you sure no how to pick exotic and out of the way jobs. What are the odds of finding such a job (and making a lifelong career out of it) in any one place in the world where they speak English? Answer: slim. As for doing it in Japan? Slimmer. You will need a reputation to get funding for such expeditions, and that means very competitive applications for government grants, too, written extensively and with great minutia in Japanese. I'm on a grant now and know from experience.

Adding to what nekojita wrote, if you manage to get the right PhD, have sufficient credentials to get hired, you are going to have to publish extensively and substantively to gain that reputation. Moreover, you can't just have a research job; you will have to earn more of your living by teaching at the university. Courses in areas you seek will have to be taught only in Japanese.

Writing grants in English is bad enough, the thought of having to do it in Japanese sends chills down my spine.

There are opportunities like those offered through JSPS for researchers. They are all short term and intended to be (the fellowships are two years, other programs are for shorter visits) - they don't and aren't intended to lead on to permanent posts.

Back
Top Bottom