What's new

JET Applicant

Masamune_74

先輩
3 Jun 2007
I am starting the long process that is the JET (ALT) application/interview/etc...I was just wondering from those of you that may have went through the process, what should I expect if I am selected to go on to the interview stage. Any helpful info you can give me, I am more than happy to entertain.

Although I haven't gone through it myself, a number of my friends have, and it seems to me that what they are looking for is someone who will a) experience extreme culture shock, and b) bestow a degree of culture-shock upon the students. A friend of mine who is perfectly fluent in Japanese got turned away from JET for that very reason--he was fluent. It appears that they want someone who is a blank slate who has no real knowledge of Japan so that the person will learn about Japanese culture wholly through direct experience, as opposed to someone who has second-hand knowledge (study, acquaintanceships, etc).

If you get turned down, there is always the eikaiwa, but they aren't always reputable (*cough, cough, NOVA, cough*). But you can also look online for recruiting agencies that will put you in small, local eikaiwa (be careful with these, though). And you can always google "Kansai flea market" and download their newsletter, which is basically a gigantic classified ad for English-speaking (mostly) foreigners who want teaching jobs, homes, etc.

You should ask your question in one of the plethora of JET Yahoo Groups - basically there's one for every prefecture - though they vary in activity and membership. Forget Kanagawa - all the JETs got canned from there (or current JETs are just working out their contracts - nothing new)

Try searching for 'naganojet' and/or 'Gifujets' first. They're both pretty lively and you'll be getting recent, first-hand advice. You may have to seek approval to join the groups but remember - the moderators are also JETs. Also search using the keyword: "AJET"

--

Back
Top Bottom