What's new

Nomikai speech - what to say?

orca1

Registered
30 Sep 2014
Hi, I've been told that I will be expected to give a speech at my first nomikai with the company next week.
Could anyone give me some advice on what to say during the speech? Roughly how long should it be? Should I include a presentation of myself or should I focus more on how much I enjoy coming back to Japan?
All I know is that there will probably be around 50 people attending the nomikai, and that the speech shouldn't be "too short". (I went to an izakaya with my closest colleagues recently and there they suddenly wanted me to hold a speech (which I was not expecting). I tried to say a few words about how much I enjoyed coming back to Japan, and that I was looking forward to work with everyone. However, they were not so impressed and said that I better hold a longer and better speech at the "real" nomikai (which is next week))
I appreciate any help!

If it's the opening speech, the only real requirement is that it ends with kanpai! Don't sweat this. How would you expect another person to speak? Use that as an example.

I tried to say a few words about how much I enjoyed coming back to Japan, and that I was looking forward to work with everyone.
Depends on how well people know you by now. How long have you been working there? Will you know everyone? Tell them a little background that they don't already know. Don't make it staunchly serious. People will want to know who you are and when they can start drinking. Be yourself. I wouldn't make it run more than 2 minutes.

Should I include a presentation of myself or should I focus more on how much I enjoy coming back to Japan?
Both.

I agree, if they don't know you well, give them a glimpse into what makes you tick and what you're passionate about. a few sentences is too brief, but anything over a few minutes and they'll start looking longingly into their glasses. A hearty yoroshiku onegaishimasu and kanpai and you're golden.

Good evening. The advice given above sounds reasonable enough to me. I would add on that you can consider the purpose of the speech and why you were selected to give it. In my experience, the opener serves to put closure on a meeting or event that was held earlier (if there was one) and set the right atmosphere for the party. A related purpose might be to have the audience understand your appreciation for their hospitality. 1-2 minutes should be enough to achieve all of this. For some additional ideas, this website offers some useful tips:

Registered & Protected by MarkMonitor

All the best from Tokyo and kanpai!
- Steffen
http://yourfujidreams.com

Very kind of you to take the time to give advice, Steffen. Unfortunately the event already happened...and the guy was a drive-by poster anyway, who hasn't been back since the day after he posted his thread.

Back
Top Bottom