What's new

Question on train fares for students.

Kirirao

Lost in the maze of life
18 Sep 2004
Hi.
Well starting from this year April I'll be going to a Senmon Gakkou here in Tokyo. Since until now I've been only riding my bicycle to my language school I dont have any idea on how the 窶凖看?w窶凖ィナ?テコツ湘ヲナステ版停??tsugakuteikijyoushaken) works here.
定期乗車券 - Wikipedia

I do have experience on how to buy it but the main question I wanted to ask it how much discount does it give. The normal pricing I got is from the site below, but I cant seem to find the student discouted price on the net. <possibly my searching skill sucks pretty bad> So is there any other way to get the pricing info on the net without going to the JR office and ask them? (Since we dont know where we're going to live yet)
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.html
乗換案内、時刻表、運行情報

The reason I asked is, I wanted to budget my living cost and start searching for a new apartment. I'll be living with my friend, and wanted to find the cheapest "apartment cost + commuting cost". Either living far away from tokyo like hachioji for example/chiba/kanagawa/saitama <1 hour+ commuting> (hoping to find a 3man en or less house> or staying near the school and cycle to school <housing cost like hell>

Well It wouldnt be much of a problem if we arent that picky about the house. Trying to find a 1DK or 2K+ with a bath and toilet separated, and those kind of houses cost more then 6man en <the cheapest I can find, probably already gone by now> here inside tokyo. And the cost for apartment with 30mins+ commuting time from tokyo is 3man en, <still rare for 2k but it exist>. If we were to commute from hachioji the commuter pass would cost around 20,000 en per month but with the student pricing its around 8,500 en according to my friend <Not sure about it> 2man en is a killer with the time wasted.

Anyway, I hope anyone would have any info or knowledge that they could share with me since I've no idea how the pricing system works here in japan with so many different lines with different companies. Plus I dont want to stay at the school dorm since they cost 100,000 yen per month and you cant share -_-. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking your time reading this.

Hello Rio Lee~~! Long time no see!! >_<
How've you been doing? I hope everything is going well for you.

As for your question on price for the "student commuter pass" or tsuugaku teiki, maybe you could try Ekinet.
It's in Japanese only, but hope you can use it...
You select the a)starting day, b)the kind of pass you want(ie, high school student/college student), c)departing point(station name) and d)destination(arriving station name) and search, then you can get the fare for 1 month, 3 months and 6 months respectively.
But please note that this works only for the JR lines, but not available for buses, or private railroads. (how useless, eh)
But still, it may give you some idea how much discount you can get. According to Ekinet, price for 1 month commuting pass from Hachiouji to Tokyo for instance:
-High school student: 9,340yen
-University/College student: 10,380yen
-Regular price(Adult):21,330yen

Also, I advise you first to ask your Senmon Gakkou if they are a designated school by JR/other railroads, because JR doesn't issue the school pass to some Senmon Gakkou students, depending on how many classes/hours per year you take. (Well, I believe most schools are designated, but just to be safe.)

When you purchase the commuting pass for student, you'd need 2 kinds of certificates issued by your school(student ID card and a paper to certify your departure point and destination, that is), so you could ask your school staff if they issue those certificates if they do not understand what I mean by "designated". Or, simply, "tsuugaku teiki wa tsukaemasuka?" in Japanese.

I understand it's a hard decision whether to live close to the school(pay more for the rent and less for transportation) or to live far away(pay less for the rent and more for transportation). But riding on a packed train during rush hour would be a pain if you're used to going to school by bike. ^^;

Anyway, hope that helps,

Cue

I'd be glad to try to hunt up the details for you, but it would help if you gave us the two stations (and line) you're using.

Ekinet kicks btw.... ahhh Too many good sites for that.... now I just need to find a widget for my mac that i can do searches from my dashboard...

Because there are an apartment and a guest house for foreigners, please try to look for it here.
A Sakura house seems to have many apartments in Tokyo.
外国人ハウス・ゲストハウス - 東京 大阪 神奈川
When you borrow an apartment in Japan,
When you enter an apartment,
Because you must pay a deposit and a recompense and a rent,
Enough fund preparations is necessary.

Thanks for the info. I'll take it into consideration :) But I think gaijinhouses is more expensive then normal apartment in my opinion. Plus you cant share with your friend and the fees written there is for one person. Reasonable but if possible we wanted to make it more cheaper.

窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、ツ。窶堙??堙?ツ、ナステ?窶堙坂?氾ァ窶ケテ?窶堙??「~窶ケテ?窶堙坂?禿「窶佚ィ窶堙遺?堋オツ。窶突?椎ス窶堙娯?堙吮?堋、窶堋ェ窶禿「窶佚ィ窶堙遺?堙ア窶堋セツ・ツ・窶啣窶扼ナ?テ藩?按湘」窶愿コ窶怒窶堙俄?堋「窶堙ゥ窶堙や?堙?窶堙ィ窶堋セ窶堋ゥ窶堙ァツ。ニ狸ニ辰ニ淡ニ停?愴地ニ脱ニ湛窶堙坂?「ツ≫?凖岩?堙姑但ニ恥ツーニ暖窶堙ヲ窶堙ィ窶堙樞?堙≫?堙?坂?壺?堋「窶堙?スv窶堋、窶堋ッ窶堙?。ニ狸ニ辰ニ淡ニ停?愴地ニ脱ニ湛窶堋セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙ァ窶堋サ窶堙個鞘?倪?堋「窶堋ス窶板ソ窶ケテ?窶堙娯?「窶昶?「ツェ窶堙才?ェツ人窶堙娯?堙??堋オ窶堙・窶堋、ツ。ヒ??窶堋ュ窶堋オ窶堋ス窶堋「窶堙ア窶堋セ窶堋ゥ窶堙ァ2ツ人窶堙??「テゥ窶堙ァ窶堋キ窶堋ア窶堙??堙俄?堋オ窶堋スツ。

Hello Rio Lee~~! Long time no see!! >_<
How've you been doing? I hope everything is going well for you.
As for your question on price for the "student commuter pass" or tsuugaku teiki, maybe you could try Ekinet.
It's in Japanese only, but hope you can use it...
You select the a)starting day, b)the kind of pass you want(ie, high school student/college student), c)departing point(station name) and d)destination(arriving station name) and search, then you can get the fare for 1 month, 3 months and 6 months respectively.
But please note that this works only for the JR lines, but not available for buses, or private railroads. (how useless, eh)
But still, it may give you some idea how much discount you can get. According to Ekinet, price for 1 month commuting pass from Hachiouji to Tokyo for instance:
-High school student: 9,340yen
-University/College student: 10,380yen
-Regular price(Adult):21,330yen
Also, I advise you first to ask your Senmon Gakkou if they are a designated school by JR/other railroads, because JR doesn't issue the school pass to some Senmon Gakkou students, depending on how many classes/hours per year you take. (Well, I believe most schools are designated, but just to be safe.)
When you purchase the commuting pass for student, you'd need 2 kinds of certificates issued by your school(student ID card and a paper to certify your departure point and destination, that is), so you could ask your school staff if they issue those certificates if they do not understand what I mean by "designated". Or, simply, "tsuugaku teiki wa tsukaemasuka?" in Japanese.
I understand it's a hard decision whether to live close to the school(pay more for the rent and less for transportation) or to live far away(pay less for the rent and more for transportation). But riding on a packed train during rush hour would be a pain if you're used to going to school by bike. ^^;
Anyway, hope that helps,
Cue

Heya Cue-sama :) Long time no see. hehehe
Doing fine thanks. What about you? I've been busy lately trying to figure out either to enter kokuritsu daigaku or senmon gakkou >.< plus nouryoukushiken and nichiryushi. argh.. hahaha
EKINET!!!!!!!!! Thanks :) *puts into favourite*. I just wanted the basic idea for the commuting fees. That would help me alot thanks. Tho I wish I know the way how they calculate those. And yes I already asked the Senmon Gakkou and they say the tsuugakuteiki is available for the school. So no problem there i guess.... I guess. Maybe i should ask again just to be safe ._.

Yea, I know how it feels like to be inside a can of pack sardine. I was commuting with train the first 3 month when I was here. Thats why I decided to change to bicycle. 窶堙??堙?ツ、ナスナセツ々ツ幸窶堋ケ窶堙ヲツ〜 Packed train窶堙≫?堙 ;) hahahahahaha. :D

Anyway thanks for the site, It would greatly help. :)

I'd be glad to try to hunt up the details for you, but it would help if you gave us the two stations (and line) you're using.

Thanks Mr. Cash. I would gladly give the two stations but the problem is I only have the destination not the depature station. Destination : either Shinjuku, Oukubo, or Shin oukubo. Line : Yamanote, Chou-Sobu and other that I might not be aware of. I'm trying to search for a new place right now, so I havent actually got any specific place in mind yet but wanted to setup the budget for the house rent + commuting fees for each apartment that I will find and compare.

Thanks for the help and sorry to take your time on such a mundane(not sure if I'm using this word correctly or not) question :)

Newbie to japan :D
Rio Lee

JR seems to be offering the highest discount for 窶凖看?w窶凖ィナ?テコ.
(1) University students: about 70% off the normal fare
(2) High school studnets: 10% discount from (1)
(3) Junior high school students: 30% discount from (1)

窶凖ィナ?テコナ停? is available for one month, three months and six months.
For three months ticket is 5% discount from the one month, for six months 10% off the one month ticket.

I'm not sure about ツ静ェ窶禿・ナ?wツ校 such as language school you're going to, but I guess it should be something similar to the season ticket for university students.

Tokyo Metro offers the discount of approx. 65% off the normal fare.
In either case, if you use 窶凖看?w窶凖ィナ?テコナ停? 10 times x round trips a month, it pays off.

Thanks undretide for the info :) And thanks for the metro one too. They are harder for me to look on the net. Now I guess i can make a few guess on the train fare that uses metro. :)
and thanks Nagashima-san. That one nice site, better then the yahoo one. :) Thank you

Back
Top Bottom