Note that this thread was started 2262 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

Thread: Where to swim in Tokyo?

nature's sweet success Female
    Join Date Apr 2, 2005
    Location Tokyo
    Posts 717
    Japan-Tokyo

Lightbulb Where to swim in Tokyo?

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

Hello everybody

hot and humid summer is here... I dont mind it so much to go to swim, but I do mind all stress that is been layering on my back lately... and idea of letting it go by swimming sounds just great...!

so simple as that... public swimming pools in Tokyo? preferably somewhere near me (I am in setagaya-ku, as far as I remember)...
    information, experiences, prizes, etc... please! お願いいたいします!

p.s. I was trying to find this info on google, and did found one site, but seems to be old, so maybe not accurate (even now when I think about it... nobody probably moved pool... but who knows.. this is Japan)

p.p.s. I was also searching this forum for similar threads... couldnt find any.

Japa'n vagyok Female
    Join Date Jan 18, 2006
    Location Nowhere - Now here
    Posts 3,532
    Japan-Tokyo
    Hi Alma san,

Yes, there's one in Setagaya-ku.
    It's run by Setagaya-ku, information in Japanese here.
    http://www.city.setagaya.tokyo.jp/030/d00004059.html
    (Could not find it in English section, though.)

Here's an old article on swimming pools in Osaka and Tokyo (from The Japan Times July 2001 issue - maybe this is the one you've found?)
    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0010701a7.html
    ---- quote ----
    Setagaya Kuritsu Sogo Undo-jo: Indoor 50-, 25-meter and children's pools, at 4-6-1 Okura, Setagaya-ku, reached by bus from Futako Tamagawa Station, Tokyu Denentoshi Line, or Seijyo Gakuen Station, Odakyu Line. Closed 3rd Mon. (2nd Mon. in July, open daily in Aug.; 400 yen for adults (2 hours June-Sept., whole day Oct. to May). Call (03) 3417-0017.
    ---- unquote ----

It seems that the swimming pool was newly built since then, in new premises.

Now it's located at:
    Funabashi 7-9-1, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
    Tel: 03-3789-3911
    (Its office is still at Okura.)

Access:

1. "Daito-gakuen" stop by the bus running between Chitose-Funabashi and Kibougaoka Danchi.
    2. "Asahi Shinbun Sha mae" by the bus running between Chitose-Funabashi and Umegaoka station or Hachiman-yama Station and Kibougaoka Danchi.
    3. "Houshouji" by the bus running between Umegaoka Station - Chitose Fuanbashi

4. "Chitosedai 6 chome" by the bus between Chitose-Karasuyama Sta. and Chitose-Funabashi Sta.

Open:
    9:00 ~ 21:00
    Closed:
    1st Monday of the month, End of the year (usually around 28-30th Dec.) and New Years holidays (1st-3rd Jan) and maintenance day (no specific dates mentioned)
    They don't close during August.

Admission:
    Adult JPY400, Child JPY150
    On Saturday, Sunday and public holidays during the months June - September the above fee is for 2 hours. Otherwise there's no time limit.

Oh, and the name of the swimming pool is Chitose Onsui Puuru (Pool).

It has a 25m course, you can swim while enjoying the nice view of green of the park next to the pool, according to the Setagaya-ku website.
    It also has a training room, pool for children, a jacuzzi, an excercise room, etc. (Actually I cannot tell of they have only one room for each or several rooms of similar facility...)

Parking lot is available (JPY100 for 30 min.)
    *I love undrentide by Mediaeval Baebes*
    And here're my bloggies (JP) & (HU)
    遠いから行きません Male
    Join Date Nov 25, 2004
    Location Tokyo
    Posts 1,205
    Japan-Tokyo
    I go to the pool at the Meguro Kumin Center. It's a decent walk (10 minutes?) from Meguro. They don't open until after the rainy season, and of course, they employ that stupid "sessions" rule either to make more money (why not just charge more?) or as they say, for safety. It's a huge pool though. Great for swimming laps.

Setagaya pool (in Mishuku) has pretty much every child in Setagaya there on the weekend. Good luck with that.
    Join Date Apr 2, 2005
    Location Tokyo
    Posts 717
    Japan-Tokyo
    thank you both!

I will check this undrentide and no, that is not web site I have found, so thanks once again.

GaijinPunch, sessions? and, I am free on some workdays, so that is why I considered going to swim
    後輩 Male
    Join Date Feb 17, 2008
    Posts 17
    Japan

The pool complex

in Kinuta Koen is wonderful- 50meters is rare, and more important, deep enough to make you feel supported by the water,
    but try to avoid it on weekends.
    Cards can be purchassed from the counter/machine and offer reductions.
    exact location:URLXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    some other places you might want to check:
    URL=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The following errors occurred with your submission:
    You do not have enough posts yet to add URLs to third-party websites.
    AH so?!! then how I can be really of any help?
    Join Date Apr 2, 2005
    Location Tokyo
    Posts 717
    Japan-Tokyo
    The following errors occurred with your submission:
    You do not have enough posts yet to add URLs to third-party websites.
    AH so?!! then how I can be really of any help?
    you are new to forum, so that prevents you from posting links for a while... (but cannot stop you from sending it to me by PM)

and welcome to the forum, btw! thanks for helping me out!
    後輩 Male
    Join Date Feb 17, 2008
    Posts 17
    Japan
    you are new to forum, so that prevents you from posting links for a while... (but cannot stop you from sending it to me by PM)
    and welcome to the forum, btw! thanks for helping me out!
    Thanks for the Welcome Alma
    I don't think a PM is the solution as the forum will loose its purpose, to benefit everybody,
    so here we go again:
    1. exact location:
    mapion.co.jp/c/f?uc=1&grp=all&nl=35/37/41.137&el=139/36/56.322&scl=25000&bid=Mlink
    2.check:
    tokyowithkids.com/entertainment/sports/swimmingpools.html
    3. check:
    ima-chan.co.jp/guide/submr100/sub10207/sub10207.htm

just add the http and www with the corresponding dots at the beginning ;)

I used to live in Setagaya, moved between Sanjya, Komazawa, Yoga, NikoTama, closer and closer to the river. It's a nice place.
    Don't miss the hanabi@Nikotama