What's new

am I going to die in Japan?

peach

後輩
1 Oct 2006
not literally! :p I'm just not a HUGE fan of stuff like miso soup, sushi, or the taste of really salty stuff like teriyaki. I am a real texture person. If something has a really good taste, but a weird texture, I gag, and cannot swallow it. It drives me nuts because I wish I could try so many different things, but I can never swallow them! I know there is a lot of different foods in Japan, I'm just not familiar with them. Since I will be staying with a family and they provide two meals a day, what can I expect to eat? What is the typical food eaten at home? I do love rice and ramen etc. ( I tried to make my own dango yesterday, they tasted good, but the texture freaked me out and I couldn't swallow it. I don't think I made them right...anyways...) For people who have been to Japan and stayed with a family, what did you eat/what sort of foods did they provide you with? Maybe I can get used to eating a lot of different Japanese foods before I go haha. I am not going to NOT go just because I don't like some of the foods, I don't want that to ruin my plans! Thanks in advance!

A fussy eater also.

Boy did I suffer in Japan for 2 years. I hated tea, fish, vegtables, rice, noodles, and about everything Japanese ate. It was expensive, but I survived by going to American style hotels that served American style dishes. I also found a small resturant near my apartment that the cook was willing to TRY to cook down home style. When I was broke, I could always go back to the military base where I worked to eat. I will say I left Japan pretty skinny, but a chance to see Japan is worth any suffering you might endure. Good luck and enjoy!

Frank

:)

"I am a real texture person. If something has a really good taste, but a weird texture, I gag, and cannot swallow it."

Might want to avoid konnyaku then. I like it but it's an acquired taste. :cool:

What is Konnyaku and Shirataki? Are they really Miracle Noodle?

A lot of homestay families I know like to make "minievents" at mealtime. Gyoza parties, tempura parties, yakkinikku parties, you get the picture. Expect lots of fried foods and simple fare like okonomiyaki, sushi, curry, etc. Chances are if you are only with them for a couple days they may insist on taking you out to dine somewhere. Either way, enjoy your stay.

You didn't mention where in Japan you'll be staying. But if you are in a big city (or even a medium-sized one) you will be able to find the North American food without any difficulty. Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds are everywhere and there's other western food outlets. To like some foreign foods amounts to an acquired taste. You should train yourself to start eating Japanese before you go and you just may end up liking it. I know I do.

Thanks for the replies! I will be staying right in the middle of Tokyo, I'm pretty sure. And I will be there for 4 weeks or longer. However, I don't want to always eat american restaurant foods like KFC or McDonalds or anything like that. And I wouldn't want to offend the host family by not eating the provided meals. I guess I'll have to train my gag reflexes, lol, so I can eat the food.

Do you like meat? You can't go wrong with yakiniku (grilled beef / pork etc) ---the DIY style of eating where you cook the meet / vegetables in front of you on a big grill. You can even just point, and order ;)

Also, I'm a big fan of yakitori, if you like (all parts!) of the chicken... There are even Japanese-Style "Western-Style" restaraunts, if that makes sense...

Don't worry about these little things like food... I'm sure you will be fine, there is plenty to eat in Japan, though I'd say a lot of it is, Nihon-centric...

And don't feel bad about eating at KFC (except for the price maybe, yowza...), sometimes you just want a really fast hamburger. ;)

Good luck, have fun.

I actually can't think of a better demise than stuffing yourself until you burst at a yakiniku restaraunt with a few talll mugs of draft beer...

God if you're listening, this is the way I want to go.

My main hinderance to alot of Japanese food was just not knowing what the hell I was eating above most other considorations.

I wont say I was a hardcore Japanese foodie, because far from it, but I think I could eat enough variety that I wouldnt entirely starve if I was aught miles from a western style resturaunt.

thanks for all the replies everyone! Lately i've been tasting a variety of japanese foods, but I'm guessing that japanese food here may be quite different than what it actually is (or tastes like) in Japan. I won't be gone for long anyways, I'm sure I'll survive! 🍜

My main hinderance to alot of Japanese food was just not knowing what the hell I was eating above most other considorations.
I think my main problem with Japanese food was the lack of diversity in it... I know that I lived in the sticks, but still, "konnichiwa Italian diner" does not (and did not) exactly exude foreign influence.

What's the answer to the question, "What's the best place for a pizza while in Japan?", ---- "The bin...".

peach said:
I know there is a lot of different foods in Japan, I'm just not familiar with them.
You should try to go to a supermarket with your host mom when you get a chance. You will have fun seeing a lot of nicely displayed strange looking stuff.
Don't be afraid to try a new thing, the worst you can do is not liking it.:)

They have really good bread over there in Japan. Hmmm...

Japan has excellent variety of Japanized western foodstuff of all sorts you can find at local supermarkets.I've tasted a few Japanese imitations,they were original and good quality.

I had a similar problem since I hate fish. I found a lot of great alternatives like yakisoba and curry rice. Just experiment, there has to be something you like. I'm proud to say I never had to go to McDonalds..

Strangely though,I pig out on Japanese " fish cake " no matter how it's processed or prepared.However,I often throw up ( since childhood ) on strong fish smell or one small bite of steamed fresh fish.

Boy did I suffer in Japan for 2 years. I hated tea, fish, vegtables, rice, noodles, and about everything Japanese ate. It was expensive, but I survived by going to American style hotels that served American style dishes. I also found a small resturant near my apartment that the cook was willing to TRY to cook down home style. When I was broke, I could always go back to the military base where I worked to eat. I will say I left Japan pretty skinny, but a chance to see Japan is worth any suffering you might endure. Good luck and enjoy!
Frank
:)

haha, for sure,japanese cuisine can kill american! I remember japanese individuals recommended me the wiered combinations of the western and eastern foods in family restaurant. They eat ANYTHING with soy sauce, even steaks, and chips!

Back
Top Bottom