What's new

anyone got recipe for yakitori?

superblur

後輩
9 Mar 2005
any people know what nice things to grill for yakitori beside the normal stuff.....also how to make yakitori sauce? plz help...thks

The best part of chicken for Yakitori is leg or thigh. Meat is more juicy than breast part. Chicken livers, skin, minced chicken balls and wings are also delicious. You can grill Japanese long onion, peppers, or mushrooms with besides chicken.

<Yakitori Sauce>
7 tbs sake
3/4 cup dark soy sauce
3 tbs mirin
2 tbs sugar

Combine all the above in a pot and bring to a boil to eliminate alcohol.

Personally, I like Yakitori seasoned with salt better, but it's tasty with sauce, too.

OOOO yakitori is one of my favorites. Thanks for the recipe Misa. I also like to sprinkle some ichimi on the yakitori just before I eat it.

One of the things that I had forgotten about until the first time I ordered yakitori during our recent trip to Japan, is that a lot of people like to eat it with the chicken just seered on the outside, but raw in the center.

I ate one skewer and then quickly handed the other two back to the shop owner, smiled and asked yoku yaki kudasai. The shop owner laughed as I quickly downed my beer to wash down the raw chicken that I had just eaten, and brought me another beer along with some well done yakitori.

superblur,

Cup used in the sauce recipe is a measuring cup. :)
3/4 cup would be 213 milliliter. You can adjust the amount as you taste it and decide how much of everything you want to use.

Bob in Iowa said:
OOOO yakitori is one of my favorites. Thanks for the recipe Misa. I also like to sprinkle some ichimi on the yakitori just before I eat it.

One of the things that I had forgotten about until the first time I ordered yakitori during our recent trip to Japan, is that a lot of people like to eat it with the chicken just seered on the outside, but raw in the center.

I ate one skewer and then quickly handed the other two back to the shop owner, smiled and asked yoku yaki kudasai. The shop owner laughed as I quickly downed my beer to wash down the raw chicken that I had just eaten, and brought me another beer along with some well done yakitori.

Really? Are you sure? I don't think the Japanese LIKE to eat yakitori raw in the center. If they do at such places, I think they don't want to bother the cook by asking once again or interrupt the fun. (Quite a few Japanese think that way.) With the bird flu threat and all, I won't eat undercooked chicken!! 😲

Personally, I think such yakitori shops should wise up or shut down! (I don't frequent yakitori shops but on the rare occasions I have, the chicken was well cooked.) :cautious:

epigene said:
Really? Are you sure?

You know, I'm not really sure. I should have stated that I was making that assumption based upon my past experience of getting yakitori that had not been thoroughly cooked. I assumed that since this was a common experience for me that it must be the preferred way of eating it, or perhaps I just give the appearance of one who likes to eat raw meat -- LOL!!!

Come to think of it, the Japanese certainly want to keep chicken juicy and walk the fine line of cooking "just right," just a slight shade above being undercooked. That's mastered with training, I think.

Anyway, you were right to ask to have it cooked again. I think more Japanese should do that. Many don't say it in the face of the cook and simply never come back.

I'm just glad that you and your wife came home in good health. 👍

thanks alot....bro n sis....

thanks 4 all the suggestion n reply....any bro n sis got more ideas wat is easy to make n sellable......hehe

superblur said:
any people know what nice things to grill for yakitori beside the normal stuff.....also how to make yakitori sauce? plz help...thks

I don't know how authentic it is - but you're not truly "stuck" with chicken.

Just for a change, I've tried rustling up Quail [テェG(窶堋、窶堋ク窶堙ァ)uzura] - "Yakitori Style" (?)

... and very nice it is too! It also looks great in presentation (leave the birds - poor little things - whole ...) - give it a try!

... and Misa J's sauce is right on the button with my own preference - give or take a teaspoon or so !

Bon Appetit!

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

Sensuikan San said:
I don't know how authentic it is - but you're not truly "stuck" with chicken.

Just for a change, I've tried rustling up Quail [テェG(窶堋、窶堋ク窶堙ァ)uzura] - "Yakitori Style" (?)

... and very nice it is too! It also looks great in presentation (leave the birds - poor little things - whole ...) - give it a try!

... and Misa J's sauce is right on the button with my own preference - give or take a teaspoon or so !

Bon Appetit!

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?彈/QUOTE]
Yes, John's suggestion is good!

Although yakitori is associated popularly with chicken, it traditionally was not. If you go to top "yakitori" restaurants here in Japan, they serve other poultry, too. I have eaten quail and sparrow in the past. Quail is very good. Sparrow--it has so little meat you can never tell how good it is... 😌

Today, yakitori has been expanded to include pork on skewers as well -- eaten with yakitori sauce or salted (and sprinkled with lemon juice, depending on the ingredient). Creativity is the trend in Japanese cuisine today, so there might be other alternatives I have not seen yet... :p

John: BTW, I love your sig!! 👍

... So ... I guess if you had a grill and skewers big enough ... Ostrich wouldn't be out of the question ?

Sorry ... it's the week-end! (And it makes a change from all the fighting that goes on on some of the other threads!)

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停? :D

epigene said:
Really? Are you sure? I don't think the Japanese LIKE to eat yakitori raw in the center. If they do at such places, I think they don't want to bother the cook by asking once again or interrupt the fun. (Quite a few Japanese think that way.) With the bird flu threat and all, I won't eat undercooked chicken!! 😲

Personally, I think such yakitori shops should wise up or shut down! (I don't frequent yakitori shops but on the rare occasions I have, the chicken was well cooked.) :cautious:

It's chicken sashimi.. I've been to two yakatori places and have had it in both... really nice texture to chicken when it is raw and thinly sliced in that way.

One of my favourite new dishes in Japan so far!

Also I like quail egg yakatori, and ginko nuts (not sure if I have spelt ginko correctly)... top eating!

Back
Top Bottom