What's new

Better; What Is Japanese Food

TuskCracker

後輩
17 Jan 2004
Everybody is assuming I know what Japanese food is.

My view of this is probably a stereotype
-> Sushi
-> Rice
-> Saki for drinking

So what is Japanese food, besides my "outside-view" of this ?

Japanese food is a lot of things...

It's gyudon. It's ramen. It's soba. It's udon. It's curry. It's mochi. It's kuriimu anmitsu. It's Pocky. It's sashimi. It's sukiyaki. It's tofu. It's fugu. It's okonomiyaki. It's shiitake. And more. Japanese cuisine is simply every food you can imagine, cooked, and prepared with an aesthetic, flavourful touch.

And it's healthy! :) 🍜 :gulp:

Traditionally it was rice as the main staple, tsukemono, seafood (anything from grilled fish to sashimi, sushi etc), miso shiru or other soups, somen or udon noodles....
Dishes such as Ramen (China) and curry (I guess India!) were introduced. The Japanese diet was traditionally very healthy. It still is but dishes with a lot of oil, sugar or processed ingredients have been introduced after Japan opened it's doors to Western culture.

Japanese food is healthy alright...
in moderation!

Some say Tokugawa I. died of eating too much tempura.... (a special kind of fried food) As I love tempura and eat it all the time, I just wanted to warn you. You might get fat.

🍜

What Is Japanese Food

An anology, what is American food

Potato's, Steak usually grilled, casseroles, spaghetti and meatballs,
casseroles, fried chicken, sandwiches, peanutbutter-and-jelly sandwiches,
deli-sandwiches, eggs-and-bacon, grits-and-butter with eggs,
pot roast, hamburgers, pizza and pizza (PAPA JOHNS, PIZZA-HUT exc. exc.),
home-made bread, Chili-con-carne (one of my favorites),
corn-on-the-cob, sausage

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
It's gyudon. It's ramen. It's soba. It's udon. It's curry. It's mochi. It's kuriimu anmitsu. It's Pocky. It's sashimi. It's sukiyaki. It's tofu. It's fugu. It's okonomiyaki. It's shiitake. And more. Japanese cuisine is simply every food you can imagine, cooked, and prepared with an aesthetic, flavourful touch.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Traditionally it was rice as the main staple, tsukemono, seafood (anything from grilled fish to sashimi, sushi etc), miso shiru or other soups, somen or udon noodles....
Dishes such as Ramen (China) and curry (I guess India!) were introduced. The Japanese diet was traditionally very healthy. It still is but dishes with a lot of oil, sugar or processed ingredients have been introduced after Japan opened it's doors to Western culture.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

What Is Japanese Food/Anology

Pizza in United States is not like Pizza in Italy.

Spaghetti in United States is not like spaghetti in Italy

And of course the curry in Japan is not like the curries in Thailand, Malaysia, or even India. Similarly, the United States' cuisine tried to borrow the same techniques from other nations, but we have our own palatial taste, so its not the same as in another country.

Japanese Food

What are these foods/dishes, are most rice based dishes
(i have never heard of these)

gyudon -> ?
ramen -> ?
soba -> ?
udon -> ?
mochi -> ?
kuriimu anmitsu -> ?
sashimi -> ?
sukiyaki -> ?
fugu -> ?
okonomiyaki -> ?
shiitake -> ?

_.

gyudon = beef bowl(beef on top of bowl of rice) Gyudon Crisis

ramen = Chinese noodle soup Konzak.com

soba = buckwheat noodles(my favorite) Soba Noodles

udon = thick noodles used in soup Udon Noodles

mochi = rice cake http://mothra.rerf.or.jp/ENG/Hiroshima/Things/61.html

sashimi = raw fish Sashimi

sukiyaki = a one pot dish with beef, tofu, green onions, konnyaku, etc. simmered together Beef Sukiyaki on the Grill Is a Traditional but Easy to Make Meal

fugu = poisonous blowfish http://www.destroy-all-monsters.com/fugu.shtml

okonomiyaki = Japanese "pizza"; more like a pankcake with various ingredients in it, for example, cabbage, onion, mushroom, chicken, beef, shrimp, etc. etc.; okonomi meaning "as you like" Okonomiyaki

shiitake = a type of mushroom Buy Domains - shiitake.net is for sale!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom