Note that this thread was started 1220 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

Thread: Canned Coffee in America too sweet!

先輩 Male
    Join Date Apr 16, 2005
    Location Minnesota
    Posts 154
    United States

Canned Coffee in America too sweet!

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

I just have to rant here... Am I the only one that thinks american canned/bottled coffee drinks taste like they are over-sweetened by 10-15x?!! Its nigh undrinkable. Maybe its just indicative of over-sweetening in american cuisine as a whole.

Does anyone know of any unsweetened or lightly sweetened coffee products in the USA? I tried trader joes canned coffee (they got the 8oz can size right) but even that is very very sweet.
    後輩 Male
    Join Date Aug 24, 2009
    Location Arlington, Texas
    Posts 7
    United States
    Hills Bros. is the best one I've found, doesn't have that god awful after taste like Folgers
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Apr 16, 2005
    Location Minnesota
    Posts 154
    United States
    Ah- I mean THIS kind of canned coffee!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canned_liquid_coffee
    Hell's Finest Daughter Female
    Join Date Jul 15, 2004
    Location Naraka
    Posts 1,702
    USA - Illinois
    The only canned coffee-esque beverages in my area are those nasty Starbucks drinks, none of which are black coffee or bitter for that matter. It's awfully obnoxious for me as well, considering I dislike sweet drinks.

I drink my coffee black, and with my pinky up!
    In the tower above the earth, There is a view that reaches far. Where we see the universe, I see the fire, I see the end.
    -Sufjan Stevens
    今日もよくたれています Male
    Join Date Sep 17, 2005
    Location 南部
    Posts 4,834
    United States
    And people wonder why everyone is getting obese...

They now sell sell bottled green tea in America, too. But I challenge you to find some that isn't sweetened.
    -Insert signature here-
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jul 17, 2007
    Location Sendai
    Posts 913
    Japan-Miyagi
    They now sell sell bottled green tea in America, too. But I challenge you to find some that isn't sweetened.
    ...or tastes like green tea.
    "If you wish information and improvement from the knowledge of others, and yet at the same time express yourself as firmly fix'd in your present opinions, modest, sensible men, who do not love disputation, will probably leave you undisturbed in the possession of your error."

-Excerpt from The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
    Hell's Finest Daughter Female
    Join Date Jul 15, 2004
    Location Naraka
    Posts 1,702
    USA - Illinois
    They now sell sell bottled green tea in America, too. But I challenge you to find some that
    isn't sweetened.
    I know, right? I was at a Dennys earlier in the morning, and they have this absurd and disgusting promotion called "Baconalia" occurring. The dishes offered are heavy on the bacon. It's almost as though they weren't aware that obesity is a problem!
    今日もよくたれています Male
    Join Date Sep 17, 2005
    Location 南部
    Posts 4,834
    United States
    Things like this don't bother me per se, but I am quite alarmed how mainstream these things have become.

There's sugar or some kind of sweetener in almost everything here. I think it kind of crept up on people and they just got used to it without much thought.

Things like bacon...there's always been a kind of bacon undercurrent or subculture if you like, but the way people sometimes talk about bacon, you'd think it was true ambrosia or something. When it gets to the point that people don't think of O.D.'ing on bacon as a rare indulgence, but rather as a matter of fact, I think there is a problem.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Apr 16, 2005
    Location Minnesota
    Posts 154
    United States
    I think the sugar problem is pretty well documented, with corn syrup being in everything- even savory dishes.

I've been reading a few things about over-consumption of sugar and sugar as a physically addictive substance, with people getting withdrawls going on a no-added sugar diet. Maybe I'll try it and see what its like