What's new

Chinese Food vs. Japanese Food

Which do you perfer? Chinese Food or Japanese Food?

• Chinese!

Votes: 50 19.5%
  • Japanese!

Votes: 77 30.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 127 49.4%
  • I hate both... -.-

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
Both are good, with one exception: the gf made me okonomiyaki for the first time a week or so ago, she put some sauce on it and all was good. However, she then took out this packet of fish powder with the intent to sprinkle over the top. I said "hey wait a minute", sniffed the contents of the packet, and my head promptly exploded.

Both are ok!
I can never tire of eating Japanese food. But chinese food has so many varieties too. Of course it is a little more greasy, but there are tons of stuff that are not so greasy or greasy at all. Chinese food is huge in terms of their history so you can never truly finish all of them.
I would say eat a combination of both for your daily dietary regiment!

Ami said:
What's better Chinese Food or Japanese Food? I choose Chinese Food! 😄

There is no accounting for taste, but since you asked, French cuisine.

Genuine Cajun cooking ain't bad either, gang. And Portugese sea food stacks up pretty well with Japanese, except that they cook it.

There is a lot of variety if one gets beyond Mickey-D's and KFC--both of which are amazingly popular in Japan.

I could eat soba and tempora until they come out my ears, but I never enjoy sushi, despite its trendy popularity. For one thing, I do not like kelp. You can keep bento, too. To each his own.

since I'm half chinese I LOVE chinese food than japanese, I mean I don't eat that much japanese food anyways, but I don't mind trying some food dishes as long as they are not hot and spicy.

^_^.

I must confess ... I tend to agree with Shooter 452 .... French cuisine is awesome ... ! (Please don't beat us up too badly ... !)

However, when it comes to Japanese or Chinese - the choice is not so easy, is it ? In many ways, they're quite different.

I have had much more contact with Chinese cuisine (from both sides of the cooking stove) than Japanese - which I am just starting to cook and appreciate. Notwithstanding its diversity, I find Chinese food a little "heavier", rich, ...much stronger on flavours, whereas Japanese has a lighter, more subtle quality to it. I like it very much - it is more challenging to the consumer.

I would say that, if I want a Bacchurnalian feast of Oriental food, with all sorts of flavours and sauces to delight the stomach and make me feel "pigged out" - I would go Chinese.

On the other hand, if I wanted to present or enjoy a sophisticated dinner party with an Oriental flavour, in order to appreciate dishes, textures and flavours to delight the eye and my tum-tum .... definitely Japanese!

....but I still like my fish and chips ..... !

Regards

I am indifferent towards Chinese food. But I do get cravings for Japanese food.

I prefer Japanese food to Chinese food in Japan, but I prefer British Chinese food to both of them. Does that make sense?
Chinese food in Japan is much more orderly than British Chinese food, and that's not the point of Chinese food to me, that's what Japanese food is for!

Both americanized Chinese and Japanese food is gross- I didn't even think you could americanize Japanese food until I went to Sushi Boat Town and 75% of the sushi there is deep fried with creamcheese and mayonnaise all over it- yuck! I'm sure if I tried real Chinese food I would like it, but I never tire of Japanese food. I have made fresh Japanese food everyday for the past 8 months- I'm that obsessed. :)

I prefer Japanese food over Chinese for one reason...authentic Chinese food is hard to find. Every Chinese restaurant around here is either take-out or buffet. Not that that's a bad thing, sometimes I have a craving for Asian food, but I'm in a rush, or I want alot of it. But I'm picky (bordering on anal) over the quality of Japanese food. I don't eat at the little shops in the mall (one place is owned by an American dude), and I'm skeptical about any of the typical Japanese "Steak Houses" also. Ant place that claims to have "authentic Japanese staff" or "Certified Japanese Sushi Chef" draws immediate suspicion. There's only two places near me that I will go to eat for Japanese cuisine, and that's it.

Hey Jadrien...how many ways can you prepare Udon or Soba noodles? :LOL:

I know this is a Japanese board so I'm not surprised to see so many people defending Japanese cuisine.

However, Chinese is the best. Infact I would go so far as to wager that the Chinese are quite possibly the most acomplished chefs in the world. This isn't just a personal opinion but one that is held by many professional chefs. Generally speaking the top three "best" cuisines are always ranked as such:

1) Chinese
2) French
3) Italian

However for all you Japanophiles don't be disheartend. Japan usually comes in towards the middle of the pack (top 10 that is!), which when you consider how many different styles of cuisine there are - isn't that bad.

Obviously personal taste differs (probably even more so on a BBS devoted to all things Japan - ha!) but if you ask most professional chefs you'll probably see the top three listed as I said.

I'm a bit of a food nerd - so sue me.

Hey Jadrien...how many ways can you prepare Udon or Soba noodles?

Eh, not that many ways unfortunately. I don't entirely love noodles, but I occasionally have some nice soba with a dipping sauce. I usually just make dishes revolving around rice and miso soup (and satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) since their still available now and I am crazy obsessed about those), which you'd think would get boring after so many months, but it doesn't for me :). I try to be as traditional as possible (I too hate those "Japanese" wanna be restaurnts), but I hope to pick up a bunch of origional recipes when I go to Japan.

My problem is that I like food in general, authentic, americanized, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, greasy, fatty, anything I can get to. Spike's in San Gabriel not only serves sushi, but also teriaki bowls and pastrami cheese burgers.

If I don't stop eating I will die soon.

The word "Chinese food" reminded me some sentences on my English textbook: If you hear someone say "I love Chinese food", he or she is taking too much for granted. As a matter of fact, there is no such simple thing as the so-called "Chinese food".

The word "Chinese food" reminded me some sentences on my English textbook: If you hear someone say "I love Chinese food", he or she is taking too much for granted. As a matter of fact, there is no such simple thing as the so-called "Chinese food".

Most people simplify Chinese cuisine into one entity, but of course people who are serious about cuisine consider there to be four major regions of unique Chinese gastronomical delight.

These are generally considered to be (in no particular order):

1) Canton - Generally considered by gourmets to be Chinas overall best cuisine. It's typified by being diverse with subtle seasoning that strives to bring out the natural flavor of the dish. This is typically considered the type of cuisine that when exported gets made almost completely wrong.

2) Mandarin - Mandarin is an Occidental term that refers to the region that surrounds Bejing and is not commonly noted as such within China. The cuisine refers originally to dishes that were specifically prepared for the elite members of the Imperal court, but has grown to include many of the regional dishes as well. It is typified by being delicate and refined.

3) Shanghai - This could be more aptly named "central coast cuisine" since that is the area of the country it embodies. It is more seasoned than Cantonese cooking, yet less so than Mandarin. Generally it is typified by dishes with high fat content, liberal use of sugar and rice wine vinegar. Typically Shanghai chefs will cook their dishes to a degree that would shock a Cantonese chef.

4) Sichuan - Typified by a daring and spicey flavor. The climate in this region is humid and hot which helps produce its signature chilies that feature prominately in many dishes. A common misconception by non native chefs is that the quality of the food is judged by its hotness - this is not true. Overall quality is measured in the composition and texture of the chefs sauces and weather they compliment the ingredients of the dish. A typical Sichuan banquet will feature multiple dishes ranging in hotness from mild to very hot. (This is my favorite type of Chinese cuisine).

Anyway, I hope I have not offended your provincial sensibilities by being overly familiar with various forms of Chinese cuisine. :D

Mal said:
These are generally considered to be (in no particular order):

1) Canton
2) Mandarin
3) Shanghai
4) Sichuan
Where did you get this information?
As I know the four principal culinary regions should be:Canton, Sichuan, Shandong(Beijing food is within this realm), Yangzhou(Shanghai food is included in this realm).
To be honest, I know nothing about cuisine, I just got the above infomation from my book.

As I know the four principal culinary regions should be:Canton, Sichuan, Shandong(Beijing food is within this realm), Yangzhou(Shanghai food is included in this realm).
To be honest, I know nothing about cuisine, I just got the above infomation from my book.

This is fairly common knowledge of anyone who has a familiarity with world cuisine. Don't let the names confuse you, the conventions are old. For instance you refer to the region around Beijing as Shandong - We call the same cuisine Mandarin. It's a purely Occidental term that survives as an anachronism to this date. Needless to say when I refer to Mandarin cuisine and you refer to Shandong, we actually are talking about the same thing even if we don't name it as such. The same thing goes for what you refer to as Yangzhou cuisine. When I say Shanghai, I am actually refering to the area that makes up the central region of the eastern coast and extends for some miles inward. If we had a map I could probably draw all these areas for you actually, I remember them fairly well.

Suffice it to say, what you understand and what I understand are exactly the same, even if we have different names for them ><

PS: Do you honestly think I would proclaim that Chinese chefs are the greatest on a Japanese board without actually knowing what I was talking about? :D

Last edited:
Mal said:
PS: Do you honestly think I would proclaim that Chinese chefs are the greatest on a Japanese board without actually knowing what I was talking about? :D
I didn't think so much, actually I didn't read the posts carefully since my English isn't good enough. 😌

I never had japanese food before.

I voted for chinese food coz I haven't had japanese food before, but isn't it about the same thing?

hmm my approach would be

Japanese food: It has style. Eating it has style. The less you eat of it (=> small portions) the more you can appreciate it's taste (for example in sushi). And that's NOT
because it tastes bad. More soy.

Chinese: Chinese food is very colorfull in view of it's spices. The taste is rather obvious and solid (i mean solid like ... hm a spicy meatball with chilli is a solid taste. or a piece of chocolate)

hmm

But: I like both. I LOVE both. And right around the corner here there's a chinese ALL YOU CAN EAT buffet. of course its american and its buffet so it's not even close to real chinese food but i LOVE it (i eat 5 plates. american size). They allso carry sushi (even though its japanese) but that stuff would be an offense for every japanese and even I can tell its crap. Theres a pretty good sushi place in my town in germany (its good enough to please my spoiled western taste :) ).

I wonder why asian people allways win all-you-can-eat-competitions.

I'm pretty sure that this has already been posted...demo gomen I'm a bit lazy to read through the entire thread...but Chinese and Japanese share similar dishes, but yet vary so much in ranges. For people that prefer a lighter meal I think osushi would be the favorite amongst everyone; however, Chinese food also have a lot of delicate dishes that are not popular to the masses...both foods are wonderful and can offer plenty of flavor for the new palate.

pretty hard to decide really. i like both. probably in equal amounts. maybe chinese has the edge, slightly, for me. it's all about dim sum!!! mmmmm...prawn cheung fun, har gow, thai style fung chow, fung chow in black bean sauce, and siu mai...mmmmm. perfect! and if you're not satisfied yet...order some siew ap and char siu :D

quiet sunshine said:
Yes, i think you correct about the category.
I think in Beijing now, Businessman and officials prefer Yangzhou, becuase its taste is not too strong.
However, most people still like Sichuan and Shandong.

I love Japanese food more than Chinese food......however, I also adore some Chinese food like stir fry and other Chinese dishes.

Back
Top Bottom