What's new

chopsticks

BamaFan2989

c'est moi.
19 Oct 2004
Hey guys! I have a question. Do you eat everything with chopsticks? I was just wondering. Also, what is Somen. I would appreciate if there were any suggestions about chopsticks.

I know this post sounds noobish, but I was wondering.

🍜

Somen is:
A kind of noodles, thinner than Udon and Soba. Somen are eaten cold and is very popular during summer...it tastes good too! 👍

And to your question about chopsticks, no I don't eat everything with chopsticks (not western food), mostly when eating Asian food I use chopsticks, but NOT all the time...

About your question regarding "suggestions about chopsticks"... :? Well, my suggestion is: only use chopsticks for eating food....:D (I am not sure if I understood your question entirely...)

lol, I don't know what I meant either. I was just wondering if you used chopsticks all the time, when in Japan. Or if you are Japanese. Do they use it for all they eat? Is that I meant. Thanks for the Somen answer!

I use chopsticks for everything like okaeri, but not really because I like it..

I just feel I need to practice! You can always get better, you know? you don't wanna go to Japan and have all the kids laugh at you and call you noob, now do you?

Lina Inverse said:
I only use chopsticks for Japanese noodles :haihai:

HAHA..Lina, do you eat other Japanese dishes than noodles? :) :D You are a noodle lover, and you mention noodles numerously when talking about food. :D
I like noodles too, but other Japanese dishes can do aswell...

About chopsticks and noodles:
I don't have any problems with this combination and only eat noodles with chopsticks at restaurants - at home it is with a fork! :)
For some people, it can be difficult if they are beginners though...too slippery and can make a mess! :D

Real easy once you've getting the hang of it.
I don't have any problems with this combination and only eat noodles with chopsticks at restaurants - at home it is with a fork!

After getting used to eating noodels with Chopsticks I find that I can't use fork when eating noodles anymore :D, now it looks funnier when I eat noodles with a fork, than when I tried my way to learn using Chopsticks a couple of years ago.

But I only use Chopsticks for noodles, when I eat other japan dishes I'll still just use the good old western fork and knife :D

:) ナス窶樞?堙坂?吮??ツ坂?倪?堙姑椎槌湛ニ暖ニ停?ーニ停?懌?堙鳴行窶堋ュニ蛋ニ停?。ニ鍛ニ致窶堙娯?点窶堙ー窶慊セ窶堙ゥ窶堋ス窶堙淞。窶堋サ窶堙ェ窶堙ァ窶堙?9.0563 窶ー~窶堙??堋?窶堙ゥ,
ナス窶樞?堋ェツ住窶堙ア窶堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶堙??堋ア窶堙ォ.
As for me in order to obtain the chop-stick I go to the Chinese
restaurant. Those are 25 cent, where I have live.

I have eaten with chopsticks since I was a child and became fascinated with them. Most times I use chopsticks unless cutting something big, then I use fork and knife, then chopsticks.
However, I do not use chopsticks for eating soup.
:gohan:

I fall in Da Monster's camp. I never really learned the proper way to hold a knife and fork, so I avoid places with only knives and forks like the plague. I eat everything with chopsticks, and I have for some time.

Long chopsticks are good for cooking. They are good for grilling. Chopsticks can be good for cleaning drinking glasses.

Long live chopsticks!

I eat most things with chopsticks. Eating out I always use them, but I sometimes use a kife and fork at home.

Da Monstar said:
After getting used to eating noodels with Chopsticks I find that I can't use fork when eating noodles anymore
I don't like to eat noodles with a fork either--- I'm so used to eating noodles w/ chopsticks that it's actually much easier for me than using a fork...

The exception is something like pasta, where the noodles are a little different, and if my grandmother (rest her soul) saw me eating pasta with chopticks she'd whack my head.

One thing I really to this day still have a problem with is udon, if the chopsticks are too slick, I don't have the finger strength to pick up the noodles.. :/ ...

As for meat and things like that, most of the time it's cut, or I can cut it w/ two chopsticks, there are however a lot of Japanese people I've noticed who eat using western style utensils when eating at such a restaraunt--- Around the corner we have both a Denny's and a small independant steakhouse, and I always see people eating w/ knives and forks there...

I use them whenever it's appropriate, when I'm cooking western style food usually.

edit: Oh, one time I saw an adult woman using 'trainer-chopsticks' they had a sort of spring-mechanism--- Personally I don't think it should be embarasing to not know how to use a utensil you're not familiar with, but---

...this? That device is for children, but you get the idea.

yukio_neko^_o said:
edit: Oh, one time I saw an adult woman using 'trainer-chopsticks' they had a sort of spring-mechanism--- Personally I don't think it should be embarasing to not know how to use a utensil you're not familiar with, but---

...this? That device is for children, but you get the idea.

Actually I've seen people do the same thing, but with rubber bands holding the two chopsticks together.

I have tried and tried and tried to use chopsticks, but have never managed to master them, or at the very least avoid looking stupid when using them. Most frustrating! To tell you the thruth, I wouldn't mind having those training chopsticks like in the pic above. I'm just shameless enough to use 'em in public!
:D

I'm proud to say that I have no problem with chopsticks - prefer the Japanese ones to Chinese. The "pointy ends" seem to make them more versatile.
I also have some really large 'kitchen' chopsticks, which I even use now when cooking western food. Very handy!
I did have a problem once though, at a Chinese banquet. One of the dishes was a huge platter of crab (complete with shells 'gemixt'!). I had to quietly lean to my Chinese neighbour and ask for advice! It seems that - in some circumstances, fingers were invented before chopsticks!
ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

In Korea I used metal chopsticks for the first time, but I've never seen them in Japan... My favourite type of chopsticks are the raw wooden ones (not painted), with the little bevel at the end, because they snap apart so easy that they are "lucky"...
Have you read this? My friends have always told me that when you snap apart chopsticks if they come apart even they are lucky. We have a good deal of cheap chopsticks at home and it always spooks me out to break them apart because they stick together so that half-the time one chopstick's end remains on the other, and looks lopsided!
The coolest chopsticks I've ever seen were in a Japanese food magazine that looked as if they were carved from two sticks---

Sensuikan San said:
I did have a problem once though, at a Chinese banquet. One of the dishes was a huge platter of crab (complete with shells 'gemixt'!). I had to quietly lean to my Chinese neighbour and ask for advice! It seems that - in some circumstances, fingers were invented before chopsticks!
ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?彈/QUOTE]The same thing happened to me, my girlfriend and her brother, eating at a Chinese fami-restaraunt... One particular dish was vehemently not conductive to chopsticks, seemingly we all simultaenously gave up the futile attempts we were making.

Chopsticks are for picking up large objects like a chunk of meat/fish but I prefer the more sensible Thai way of Spoon & Fork when dealing with noodles or something wet and small. Think about it chopsticks are primitive!

the knife was invented last week! we're on the cutting edge!
anyone else feel a draft?

well, as for chopsticks, I use them whenever they're available and appropriate to use, namely with asian dishes that call for their use. Kind of hard to eat soup and okayu with chopsticks, though.

I had to use Hashi for lunch today, the spoon is fine for the ramen soup but those noodles needle chopsticks to deal with.
Im not sure how i feel about the japanese using wooden disposable chopsticks so much, i can only hope the wood is recycled, though probably not.
I eat alot of things here in japan with chopsticks despite having a knife and fork set bought especially for me prior to my arrival.
Most stuff here is tackled with either hashi or a spoon, i find it odd that you use hashi for gohan but use a spoon for most other rice dishes.
Forks are only used for cake here, really, though i guess i could use a a fork and knife for my japanese food it just doesnt seem to ever be what i use.
As for udon noodles i dont like them.
My favorate chopsticks are ones that are painted, but only at the top end, a light polish on the bare wood down the rest to the tip, and if it can be helped, slightly dug out rings on the food handling end.
I agree plain bare wooden ones are handy because they provide some friction to grasp the food, but since im worried the disposable bare wooden ones are like causing entire forests to get chopped down im trying to avoid them for more perminant ones.
Japanese definately haveツ no problem using knives and forks, but i guess since chopsticks are technically the harder utensil to use it makes sense its easy to just stab their food with a fork.

I like chopsticks so much i even spent a good while at a shop on the path from the main arch to asakusa temple, looking for the perfect chopsticks, i eventually settled for a polished wooden set, with green painted into notches on the top ends, very natural, and the main colour being green, my favorate colour.
I also bought a case for my chopsticks, a very nice looking reddish brown one.
I couldnt help it, everytime i used cheap throwaway chopsticks and my girlfriend used her own, i kept thinking of that episode of the simpsons when homer pulls a spoon from a velvet pouch, and i suddenly wanted my own tools for eating.
Yesterday i spent a while choosing my own rice-bowl and miso-bowl aswell, i dunno why but when im eating here in japan, i feel i want my own tools for eating. 😌

I have chopsticks back in my house at home, but their just things from chinese resturaunts, i prefer japanese chopsticks aswell, more....i dunno, they just feel and look better.

nurizeko said:
Im not sure how i feel about the japanese using wooden disposable chopsticks so much, i can only hope the wood is recycled, though probably not.
Japan has a pretty extensive recycling program for both cans and paper, but as far as I know the rest of the trash just gets burned somewhere--- at least that's what I'm told, "burnable trash" goes in the tan bags.

The disposable chopsticks are good for having people over, it sounds cheap, but we give the guests the cheap hashi! ...they don't care really, everyone is just happy to be eating food and listening to music and drinking beer.

The other thing though, about recycling, is that Japan seems to produce a lot of excess in packaging. You can often buy candy or sweets, crackers, cookies, that sort of thing and you'll find that sometimes each individual cookie itself is wrapped--- I thought this was genius for saltine-crackers, because they always get stale, but for that they ususally put them in pack of 5 or 6... still, a single individually wrapped cookie is a bit much.

Back
Top Bottom