What's new

Comfort food / food for sick person?

kov

先輩
24 Oct 2003
My wife has a baad, bad cold and is pretty miserable. I keep asking her what Japanese food she can eat and she just says "shiranai!" (yeah, gets cranky when she's sick ;-)). I've tried udon with vegetables, and I've been warned that she hates O-kayu, doesn't want anything with miso in it (ruling out miso-shiru, neko-meshi, etc.).

Any other ideas? I'm thinking something with egg might work. Tamago-yaki okay for sick people?

okayu is plain, just with a bit of salt, but how about zosui? Adding veges or perhaps a bit of chicken? like a very runny risotto? my Japanese husband makes me that when I'm sick or just plain okayu....

by the way, you are so sweet to be cooking for her while she is sick! ;)
Can you ask her Mum or sister what her favourite comfort foods are?
Mine is chicken soup (real stuff, not canned) with fresh bread and a boiled egg with a soft centre and dipping bread with marmite in the egg - yummmmm......

Also ginger tea. Does she like that and do you have any around? My husband used to always make that for me when I was sick and it helped me.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, she does okay with chicken soup, but I'm looking for something else she can eat (I'm assuming she must be getting sick of it some time).

What's marmite??? I'm imagining a beast that's a combination of termite and marmot (animal kind of like an otter). Please let it not be something like the evil, evil vegemite!

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Also ginger tea. Does she like that and do you have any around? My husband used to always make that for me when I was sick and it helped me.

Well, we've got ginger. Just brew it up, no? Or is there other stuff in "proper ginger tea"? Any ideas on solid foods?

Thanks for the tea idea.

Just wanted to say the Zosui was a success! It's actually pretty good, sort of like Oyako-Donburi that's half asleep. I sprinkled green peas on top because I thought it needed some veggies, but my wife said it's better without.

How about corn soup like the stuff that's popular in Japan? Or ramen (the real stuff of course).

I think marmite is the same as vegemite isn't it? Ugh.

I'm glad she enjoyed the zosui ;) I hope she's feeling better!

marmite is a yeast spread. Perhaps it's an aquired taste as I don't know many (just one actually) Japanese who like marmite. My husband only eats it to prove he can eat anything but I know he really doesn't like it.....

Back
Top Bottom