What's new

Easy recipes for everybody.

does anyone know the japanese name for a fried pork dish i ate while in japan?
it was very good, but i forget what it was called..

I think you are talking about "tonkatsu". Thick slice of pork, breaded and deep-fat fried.

Hai, I've been hearing everyone rave about tonkatsu on this site--I think I'll try making some this week...

...as for fried rice, I have a recipe I use that's pretty fast:

1 cup white rice
1-2 eggs1 cup of peas or stir-fry vegetables
1/4 cup of butter
Soy sauce

First you steam the rice and scramble the egg(s), seperating the egg into pea-sized bits with the spatula. Then you put the scrambled egg in a bowl witrh the rice and wipe out the pan. (so the egg residue doesn't burn on)

Then you melt the butter in the pan, and once it's melted you add the rice, scrabled eggs, and peas/stir-fry vegetables and some soy sauce and stir-fry it for a few minutes.

Lets keep this thread going! Here is my fiancee's fave japanese recipe (she's chinese and LOVES sweet and salty foods):

Oyako - don (I think it means mother and daughter)

You need a big round bowl for each person (we have these cool japanese donburi style bowls, about 6" across I'd guess)
small fry pan with a lid (glass lid is best, for seeing the food) - approx 6" across
Freshly steamed japanese rice
dashi (japanese stock, you can buy it in most supermarkets, smells and looks a bit like fish food, but tastes great)
soy sauce
sake/mirin
plain white table sugar
thinly sliced chicken (breast or thigh works well)
a couple of eggs, whisked together
thinly sliced onion
sliced green onion
shredded seawead/nori
sesame seeds

I cook this all by taste. So I can only give approx measurements. Adjust according to your preference!

First, I put about half a cup of water into the pan over medium-low heat. Then, I add the dashi soup base (the stuff I buy is dried little pellets) - this stuff is potent, you only need a little bit - half a teaspon or less usually. I let that mix and taste to ensure its not overpowering (if it is, add water and remove some of the stock for the next batch!). I then add about 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. Next, about 1 teaspoon of sugar. Add a dash of sake/mirin. Taste again! It should be pleasantly sweet but slightly salty - very cool taste.

Next, I add the sliced chicken to my boiling broth. I cover the pan with a lid for about 45 seconds to a minute while the chicken cooks. I then add the thinly sliced onions and cover for about 15-20 seconds. Finally, add enough mixed egg to cover the chicken and onions, put the lid back on until the egg is just set.

Then, take your bowl full of rice (did I forget to tell you to fill your bowl with rice? Oops! go do that and quick! You really dont want to overcook eggs! Ever!) and slide the contents of the frying pan all over the steaming hot rice. Sauce and everything. Top with the seaweed, green onions and sesame seeds (or none of these toppings... really depends on what you like).

Hmmm, I'll try and think of some other japanese food I cook at home. Curry has already been covered and thats my fave (nothing like oxtail curry!)

This is not really a Japanese recipe, but I often make it when I run out of my dinner ideas.

Stuffed Chicken with Garlic Rice
<Garlic Rice>
Cook ahead 2 cups of white rice.
Heat in a large pan over medium heat,
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cook until soft before changing color,
3 cloves garlic minced
Add rice and season with, and stir well.
salt & pepper
herbs you like such as basil, oregano
soy sauce

<Stuffed Chicken>
I like using broccoli for stuffing, but it can be substituted with any vegetables you like.
Cook in olive oil in a small pan until soft,
1 1/2 cups broccoli
salt & pepper to taste
paprika

Slit to make a vertical pocket from the narrow side,
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts fat trimmed
Heat the oven to 375 F

Stuff the chicken with,
cheese(chedder, motzarella, parmezan etc.), in a deep spot, so it won't melt out.
broccoli
Season chicken with salt & pepper and coat with bread crumbs, heat in a skillet and add the chicken to color on the outside,
2 tablespoons butter
Place the skillet in the oven and finish cooking for 20 minutes.
Check the temprature of the chicken using the meat thermometer, if it says 160 F, the chicken is done.

misa.j said:
I thought I would like to share my recipes since they are very easy to make.

I will post just two of them for today, but if anyone interested, I will keep posting new ones. I hope you enjoy! 😌

Easy, eh? Well, I guess that leaves me out! I'm just a hopeless, culinary challenged bachelor who considers nuking anything in a microwave as "cooking"!

:D

yummy

All your recipes sound so good! I was wondering if anyone has a fast and simple recipe using Japanese eggplants?

ニ弛ニ段ニ段ナ?ツェツ「Banana Rollsツ」,

This is easy to make and very delicious. It match with my ツ静??ーツェ窶愿コ窶怒窶卮陳「shizuoka teaツ」
Get yourself some cavendish and ツ春ナ?ツェ窶敕ァツ「Springrolls wrapperツ」 from nearest ニ坦ニ停?愴池ニ男ツ。
cut your banana into pieces, use half portion of banana for each rolls. Separate your wrapper, and wrap and roll each 窶敖シ窶「ツェツ「halfportionツ」 of banana.
Heat enough oil in the frypan, when its heated, drop in your rolls, wait until it reddened, take out and enjoy it with your tea.
窶敕シ窶督。窶堋オ窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「窶堋「ツ。

窶愿倪?罵

romiromi said:
All your recipes sound so good! I was wondering if anyone has a fast and simple recipe using Japanese eggplants?
Grilled Japanese Eggplant

The outside skin of Japanese eggplant browns beautifully while the sweet meat inside steams from the juices. This is a simple and easy delicious dish.

6 Japanese eggplant - 2 pounds
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Wash and dry eggplant . coat lightly with olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper. Place eggplant over direct heat Turn frequently during cooking. Eggplant should be done in about 5 minutes. Garnish w/ ginger right before serving.

Misa these are great!! Although I'm not that great of a cook, when I got to school in Japan, I will not starve!! and its all thanks to you!!!!

misa J can you not come and cook for me
Your recipe are great but I m not that great chef lolz

Dutch Baka said:
mmm this looks great! I think that we will be eating Curry this week :D

Katsu curry is great too......

Lunch is still a couple hours away but looking at that picture of the katsu set my mouth watering.:gohan:

mm No time to make that now, so I think I will eat some bread, and go shopping ( BARGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN) in Osaka today :D

( sorry for the Offtopic message haha)

WE ALL LOVE CURRY RICE!!! ( thank god my wife can cook so good.. MMMM)

Im starving...this thread certinaly isn't doing anything to make me anything but hungrier. =(

Does anyone have an easy recipe for Shrimp/Chicken tempura?

Vengeful Ronin said:
Ooh, recipies! I'll give them to my mom, I usually don't like what she makes cuz most of her recipes are weird health stuff that come out of magazines, and they never work. Now I can have her make real food! xD

Hey, Vengeful Ronin, r u known as Ronin on mIRC by any chance (if so u kno me on it, I'm DragonWarrior on there)

*sigh* I really wanna try ramen more than getting a ps3 when it comes out here in Canada, but the recipe takes too long and is hard.

DanielH. said:
Hey, does any1 have any easy recipes for ramen??? I badly wanna try it, but the recipe I found takes 4 hours
Hey Daniel, you shouldn't get trapped in how long it would take to make it because you don't have to do anything while you are making the soup which takes the longest.

Here are some threads with ramen recipes and other related links that can make you drool.😊
For those of you who love RAMEN.
How can I make Ramen from everyday ingredients?

Back
Top Bottom