Note that this thread was started 1348 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

Thread: Eating Japanese food without fish?

y Female
    Join Date Jan 9, 2011
    Location Almere
    Posts 28
    Netherlands

Eating Japanese food without fish?

ی𗬃p[eB[
    Tokyo International Party

There is something I like to know. If I look in most Japanese cook books is see mostly fishy foods. It seems the food is mostly fish.

Is it possible to go out and eat at (semi )a traditional place and not get loaded with just fish and just one or 2 not fish related foods. *our any thing ells that lives partly under water.

Its not that I mind the fish I was wondering about it. Do have a big variety on non fish related foods?
    Because it seems to me if its not just fish is something like fish flakes or so you will find in your food.
    JREF Resident Alien Male
    Join Date Jan 19, 2005
    Location Goodlettsville, Tennessee
    Posts 1,831
    USA - Tennessee
    Yes, it is possible to eat out in a Japanese restaurant and eat meals that do not include fish. There are many Japanese dishes that include pork, chicken, beef, vegetables, pasta, etc. They may not be what you are accustomed to, but they have a Japanese flavor to them.

The books you are looking at are probably traditional Japanese cuisine that, yes, do include fish, but Japanese cuisine today includes a variety of meats and vegetables as mentioned above.
    Do What You Love And You'll Never Work Another Day In Your Life!

]N Male
    Join Date Feb 23, 2008
    Location London
    Posts 1,084
    United Kingdom
    I agree with Pachipro. As a person who loves and tries to cook Japanese food, yet can't afford to buy fish much (quite expensive here), I can say that many Japanese meals don't have fish in them.
    Resident Realist Male
    Join Date Aug 8, 2005
    Location All Over
    Posts 4,289
    USA - California
    If you just don't like fish, it's not that hard to avoid, but fish products do make their way into a lot of dishes (fish broth is quite prevalent).
    y Female
    Join Date Jan 9, 2011
    Location Almere
    Posts 28
    Netherlands
    Thank you all for replying to my question. I’m happy to learn its not to so hard to avoid it.
    Because here in Holland if I want to avoid ham I know how to deal with it. *I’m get red spots in my face if I eat it.
    My BF will not and shale not eat anything that lives (partly) under water. It could be a bit of pain in Japan. Do any of you know any books that have conmen non fish dishes you can also order in most (semi) traditional restaurants?
    he hates eating the same food a lot too. I can’t keep him happy with witch rice + meat or ramen *He is picky, I know. So I would like know more about the possibilities sins there more things he won’t eat.
    Plus knowing him, he will forget to look into this sort of thing. *giving a book too him will help.
    Any books you can recommend? Most shops here are will give you a sushi book. They don’t have a lot of books with non fish dishes *I won’t buy 1 book for just 3 recipes.
    i think he dossen't mind the fish broth. *i think its more because he dos not know.
    Last edited by Sabrina miew; Jan 14, 2011 at 00:12.
    ]N Male
    Join Date Feb 23, 2008
    Location London
    Posts 1,084
    United Kingdom
    I've never heard of a fish-excluding Japanese cook book to be honest. If your bf can't have anything associated with fish at all, then it could be a problem, because many dishes although may not have fish in them, do have something known as "dashi", which is a stock consisting of dried seaweed and bonito (type of fish) shavings. There is dashi which is just with the dried seaweed (konbu), but I think the one with bonito flakes is more common, though I'm not sure.
    Mona Female
    Join Date Jan 16, 2011
    Location Canada
    Posts 20
    Canada-Ontario
    what about ramen??
    Sailing away... Male
    Join Date Aug 3, 2007
    Location NW Wisconsin
    Posts 413
    United States
    As Pachipro and Jericho Desu have said there are a lot of dishes that don't have fish or other seafood in them. I am not a huge fish fan so I usually avoid it when we are in Japan (though I have had some fish and seafood there). I get things like miso soup, omurice, mabotofu, pumpkin soup, avacado pasta (not sure if its Japanese though), okinomiyaki, yakisoba, ramen (real ramen not that fake instant stuff you can get in the US), sukiyaki, coroke (spelling?), and lots of dishes with pork, beef, chicken, rice, eggs, vegetables, etc.

It can be difficult if you don't know what your ordering but just keep a look out for the example dishes at the entrance. They helped me out a lot!

As for cookbooks, I agree that you likely won't find one that excludes fish but you can probably find one that gives a lot of other dishes as well. Also have you tried looking on cooking sites on the internet? Thats where my wife and I get a lot of our recipes from.
    Last edited by Petaris; Jan 17, 2011 at 04:42. Reason: adding a few more foods that I forgot about
    --------------
    - Petaris

"The World is Open. Are You?"
    Just me Male
    Join Date Aug 20, 2003
    Location Hokkaido, Japan (American)
    Posts 3,425
    Japan-Hokkaido
    But this book:

What's What in Japanese Restaurants
    y Female
    Join Date Jan 7, 2011
    Location Wilmington
    Posts 18
    USA - North Carolina
    Yes it's definitely possible for your boyfriend to eat Japanese food, but he just must be careful. You can ask for "no fish flakes" on any dish, or make sure that it doesn't have oyster sauce or fish stock in the liquid of the dish. Japanese food is too delicious to be passed up on!
    y Female
    Join Date Jan 9, 2011
    Location Almere
    Posts 28
    Netherlands
    Thanks every one
    Sorry for the late reply *I have exams this week.

*Jericho. He is ok with dashi. I donft know he has some bad experience with fish and it smell.
    I donft really know because he wonft really tell me. He fine with dashi and me eating the fish and prawns. * I think he hefs ok with dashi because he canft really smell and see the fish.
    So far he never complained about it. Ifm guessing he knows what it is.

*Kwaii95
    Ramen is fine I think. He will just pas me the fish cake and order it with pork or something I just think he will get sick of it if he has to eat for 30 days or so.

*Petaris thanks for the examples. It helps (plus Ifm getting hungry). Ifll keep your tip in mind to look out for example dishes.

*Glenski. I Think you struck gold with what I meant. Thanks Ifll go look up the book. That will really help.

*Ginkgoo
    Thank you I will keep that in mind too.

On a side note its not like he is allergic to fish. Sins you pointed that out and Jericho about the dashi. I did ask him if he is allergic and I do use oyster sauce. He is not allergic.
    Beef made in oyster sauce he will eat and love. It just the confrontation of smelly fish as for as I can tell. I think its something mental between him and fish *it sound stupid I know but I donft really see the point in forcing him. Besides as long as I ale to eat it its fine.
    Itfs the same with pork *but I do get spots if I eat it. Not that bad but just a bit of a anionsf to hace red spot al over your face.
    y Male
    Join Date Jul 18, 2011
    Location New Hampshire
    Posts 25
    USA - New Hampshire
    good question. I love the taste of everything japanese....except for the fish...