• Never had Japanese Food

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
Bastard said:
Almost.
Nabe 「鍋」 itself means "pot" or "pan"
casserol is mushiyakinabe 「蒸し焼き鍋」

musu is "to steam" and yaku is "to fry"

So nabeyaki udon is something like udon fryed in a pan. I think... Haven't had the privilege of eating it, so I'm just translating it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

It would help if you've eaten it first.

Nabeyaki Udon comes in a pot instead of a bowl and it's a noodle soup with all kinds of ingredients. Restaurants serve this dish with all kinds of vegetables, fish cakes, tofu, chicken, etc. and topped with a shrimp tempura.

Also probably the most expensive Udon on the noodle shop's menu.

Donabe

Mine looks exactly like that one in the bottom picture. It's actually an earthenware pot that you set directly on a hot plate on your table(or stovetop) that you cook everything in. Well, the site above explains.

For lunch today, I went to Little Tokyo and had "Katsu Curry."

It's a breaded and deep-fried pork tenderloin (Tonkatsu) on a bed of rice (extra rice for me) with curry sauce over it.

However, I had my curry sauce on the side and used it as dipping sauch instead of Tonkatsu sauce. I love the taste of Japanese curry but I go easy on it because I don't think it's all that healthy. I once read the ingredients on a box of House Vermont Curry: beef fat, pork lard, white flour, etc. (it's the same for any other brand of curry unless it specifies that it's made with vegetable fat). Not every popular food in Japan is all that healthy.

Golgo_13 said:
However, I had my curry sauce on the side and used it as dipping sauch instead of Tonkatsu sauce. I love the taste of Japanese curry but I go easy on it because I don't think it's all that healthy. I once read the ingredients on a box of House Vermont Curry: beef fat, pork lard, white flour, etc. (it's the same for any other brand of curry unless it specifies that it's made with vegetable fat). Not every popular food in Japan is all that healthy.

You are right about "house vermont curry" isn't that healthy, though home made curry sauce in which the onions and the other vegetables are used to thicken the sauce is rather healthy with lots of spices. It's good for your digesting systems, too.

misa.j said:
You are right about "house vermont curry" isn't that healthy, though home made curry sauce in which the onions and the other vegetables are used to thicken the sauce is rather healthy with lots of spices. It's good for your digesting systems, too.

Just about all Indian type food is good for the system. 😌

misa.j said:

Yes! 👍

NOt just the "House" brand curry but all the Japanese packaged block curry basically have the same ingredients.

There are also placed where they deep-fry croquettes (Korokke), tonkatsu, etc. in melted lard. Great taste, yes, but I prefer vegetable oil for frying.

Not to mention it's loaded with MSG. Instant soups, curry mixes, any ready-made sauces are packed with MSG.

For example: S&B Golden Curry (mild) has 990mg of sodium (41% daily value) in 1 serving, which is only 1/12 of the package.

Buddha Smoker said:
But Curry is still good though...won't stop me :p

I just had it for lunch; I made my own curry sauce 2 days ago, as you know, left overs taste always better.
Especially curry increases the heat gradually while it's sitting in my dutch oven.

misa.j said:
I just had it for lunch; I made my own curry sauce 2 days ago, as you know, left overs taste always better.
Especially curry increases the heat gradually while it's sitting in my dutch oven.

Just like chili...they longer is lasts the better it is. :D

curry

History and recipe

More on history:
• 「 The first restaurant in Japan serving curry, based on written records, was Ueno Fugetsudo back in 1877.
• 「 Fukujin-zuke, the essential relish for Japanese curry, was invented circa 1885 by Seiemon Noda XV of the pickle shop Shuetsu.
• 「 Yokosuka city has recently been trying to attract tourists with curry as local speciality, naval food since the Meiji era.
• 「 Catlea is the bakery where curry doughnut was invented in 1927, by Toyoharu Nakada.

The story of Nakamuraya mentioned in the Nipponia article is to be posted in a separate message below...

カツカレー

Golgo_13 said:
For lunch today, I went to Little Tokyo and had "Katsu Curry."

It's a breaded and deep-fried pork tenderloin (Tonkatsu) on a bed of rice (extra rice for me) with curry sauce over it.
There are two theories about the origin of katsu-curry:

a.
Kintaro Kawano, the founder of a tonkatsu place Kawakin put tonkatsu on curry bowl in 1918 and called it Kawakin-don.
Reviews say that curry tastes too mild (typical curry-don,) and shredded cabbage is in the bowl too. Not quite real katsu curry.

Kawakin
2-3-15, Shitaya, Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0004
phone: +81(3)3873-5312

b.
The late baseball star Shigeru Chiba made a special order of curry rice and pork cutlet at once, back in 1948 at Grill Swiss.
Reviews say that they serve two types, "regular" and "original Chiba style."

Grill Swiss
2nd Shimada bldg. 1st flr., 3-5-6, Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061
phone: +81(3)3563-3206

Last edited:
lol...it's funny...two of my favorite foods while I was on Okinawa aren't on the list, and probably few people have even heard of them.

A favorite of alot of us was: Taco Rice and Cheese (TRC). An excellent take-out meal consisting of ground beef seasoned with Taco Seasoning, on a bed of rice, and topped off with shredded cheese. Excellent with Ketchup and Mayonnaise, or not. Also an excellent food when out drinking for the evening.

The other favorite of mine was the Chicken Teriyaki Burger. It was just a chicken breast marinated in Teriyaki, grilled, and put on a bun. That's it.

I also enjoyed Octopus balls...not what you think. It was a peice of octopus served inside a golf-ball sized ball of a bread-like substance, and topped with your choice toppings, like Pizza, Cheese, and alot of other toppings I can't remember (it was back in 1992-93)

I can also remember a dish I had at a restaurant that changed my taste towards spaghetti for the rest of my life. It was regular spaghetti noodles, with a white Alfredo-like sauce, served with Bacon, Clams, and Mushrooms. The absolute BEST plate of spaghetti I have ever had.

新宿中村屋

bezz said:
The story of Nakamuraya mentioned in the Nipponia article is to be posted in a separate message below...
Rash Behari Bose (1885-1945,) a revolutionary

1885 Born in Bengal, British India.
1914 Escapes to Japan after the Ghadr party's Lahore revolt plan is leaked. The founder of Nakamuraya bakery Aizo Soma provides a hideout in his shop's backyard atrium.
1918 Gets married with Toshiko, Aizo's daughter.
1923 Becomes a naturalized Japanese citizen.
1927 Introduces the first authentic Indian curry in Japan at Nakamuraya.
1942 Organizes Indian Independence League, holds general conference in Bangkok.
1943 Hands over IIL leadership to "Netaji" Subhas Chandra Bose at the Singapore conference.
1945 Deceases, rests in Tama cemetary.

More information on his life can be found at Google.

Shinjuku Nakamuraya

Last edited:
I could eat Japanese food everyday. I could not, however, stomach meat and potatoes everyday. Oh yeah, another thing, Indian food kicks ***!

I'm always in the mood for ramen :)

But today I think I'll try to make some curry rice,
put it in a box for quick heating the next several days.

Back
Top Bottom