What's new

Hot sushi rice?!?!

Anohito

No Longer Active
24 Dec 2006
"Some L.A. sushi chefs serve rice that is almost hot, saying it is the Tokyo style, but no book or non-L.A. expert I checked had ever heard of that, so maybe it's local shtick."

I have never heard of sushi made with rice that warm, but then, I have never actually been in Los Angeles (just passed through via the airport). Has anybody else heard of sushi rice that warm?

Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar | Mikuni

That's a new one for me - everything I know suggests that the chef makes a concerted effort to cool the rice as much as possible to or just below ambient room temperature. As a matter of fact, all literature/chefs that I have come across suggest cooling the rice as quickly as possible (with assistance from an electric fan for example) because this way the rice develops an attractive sheen.
Plus it would be uncomfortable forming rice that is still hot wouldn't it?

The only place where I get warm sushi rice once in a while is at the discount kaiten sushi in Shibuya, where a plate with 2 nigiri sushi costs 100 yen. But even there it is cold most of the times so I believe it is just bad preparation. I don't like it when I get warm rice. At all other places here in Tokyo I have always gotten cold rice. Next time please ask him where in Tokyo this style can be found...

I've never heard of it either, but probably anything goes in CA, considering my initial shock decades ago seeing avocado slices on top of sushi rice... 😌

Sushi rice should neither be warm or cold. The right temperature is room temperature, while the fish should be cold - unless it is grilled.

Last edited:
"Some L.A. sushi chefs serve rice that is almost hot, saying it is the Tokyo style, but no book or non-L.A. expert I checked had ever heard of that, so maybe it's local shtick."

I have never heard of sushi made with rice that warm, but then, I have never actually been in Los Angeles (just passed through via the airport). Has anybody else heard of sushi rice that warm?

Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar | Mikuni

Yes. The rice that comes out of the huge rice cooker is "warm". But, when it combines with the cold fish and other items put into sushi it becomes cold. I guess warm sticky rice is easier to deal with.

Speaking of which, i am going out of sushi next paycheck. :)

it better if your rice of your sushi would be as you wanted, some people have a warm mouth some have a chilly mouth :p

no but serious i don't like if sushi is too cold and rice too hot.

like han-chan saids room temperature, would be a good idea.

nope. I am not japanese.
I am malay from malaysia.
Working at Japanese Restaurant.

normaly we use calrose rice ( USA)

Sharing is Caring
see my video at myblog..
thanks

owh wow we use Basmati rice.😌
Dear Herbal Shin

Basmati rice is long grained and it is fine for curry, but for sushi they are no good! You will get a much better result by using "japonica" rice. I don not think it is so important if they are from Japan, USA, Thailand or Spain, but it has to be short grained "japonica".

Last edited:
yup its correct..

Better one is Nishiki Rice from japanese,,
But the price little bit higher and to difficult to buy..

Interesting. I've had sushi once (I liked it pretty well) and it was definitley more like room tempeture than totally hot. Maybe the chef liked it warm and thought others would too or something.

My father runs a few restaurants. Rice should not be hot. It should not be cold. After the rice is cooked it is put into a large "bowl" mix with the restaurant's vinegar(mixed with salt and sugar). And cooled down with a huge fan. Some places use an electric fan. Kept around room temperature(maybe slightly warmer).

Back
Top Bottom