What's new

Korroke

spicytuna

後輩
25 Nov 2008
I've always wondered why Korroke isn't a popular dish out here in North America.

The Japanese restaurants over here have integrated stuff like curry rice and tonkatsu into their menu's but why are the korroke's left out? :?

I know it's basically a croquette (which isn't too popular either) but how can westerners resist mashed potatoes and ground beef deep fried in bread crumbs?

Someone needs to show the N.Americans that these things taste awesome with rice and tonkatsu sauce... or doused in curry sauce.

Or better yet, how about some kani-cream korroke curry?!?!

I've always wondered why Korroke isn't a popular dish out here in North America.
The Japanese restaurants over here have integrated stuff like curry rice and tonkatsu into their menu's but why are the korroke's left out? :?
I know it's basically a croquette (which isn't too popular either) but how can westerners resist mashed potatoes and ground beef deep fried in bread crumbs?
Someone needs to show the N.Americans that these things taste awesome with rice and tonkatsu sauce... or doused in curry sauce.
Or better yet, how about some kani-cream korroke curry?!?!

Could it because meet is too cheap in the US? In Japan, it makes sense for restaurant to make korokke because meat is relatively expensive. But, in the US, meat must be too cheap, since korokke takes a way more time to prepare than katsu or tempura.

I think it is because korokke is "just" a Japanese version of the Western croquette, therefore, not "original Japanese food".
I do not think that people would pay and eat korokkes in a Japanese restaurant in a foreign country if the guests can choose among dishes such as soba, sukiyaki, sushi, sashimi, teppanyaki and the sorts.

Korokkes are very tasty (I love it with ketchup), but it is not an original Japanese dish compared to the ones we know.

Croquettes are very popular in Holland (we call them kroket!).

We even have the MCkroket, which is my favorite "burger" at Mcdonnalds.
DSC00525.jpg

The first time I ever heard of them was when my wife decided to make them for supper soon after we got married. I came away with the impression that they must be fried mashed potatoes with the appearance and consistency of scrambled eggs.

It wasn't until some time later that I actually saw them for the first time....elsewhere, of course.

We have them fairly regularly here. Though I am not sure if I have seen them on the menu at a Japanese restaurant here. We buy the vegetable style croquette at the Asian grocery store that we often go to. I will say that they are not quite as good as the ones you can get practically anywhere in Japan though.

I always order korokke if it is on the menu of a restaurant. I love it but I can never make it at home because it's too fiddly :D

You don't see them that often in Japanese restaurants in the UK, but you can get pumpkin korroke in sushi bars as a vegetarian option.
In the UK potato croquettes (very non-Japanese!) are sold frozen as an alternative to oven chips - not that popular though.

Back
Top Bottom