What's new

Make your own takoyaki!

I have something very similar right here in the UK...It was a very-much-appreciated birthday present from my dear friends in Japan when I lived there, but I can't use it here for electrical reasons

breaks my heart...:sick:

If you're the seller, I highly recommend you should give the buyer a transformer for free unless you want the lawsuit from him/her.

If you're the seller, I highly recommend you should give the buyer a transformer for free unless you want the lawsuit from him/her.

Oh no, I am not the seller! I would not advertise my own items for sale on Jref.

I have something very similar right here in the UK...It was a very-much-appreciated birthday present from my dear friends in Japan when I lived there, but I can't use it here for electrical reasons

breaks my heart...:sick:

Most unfortunate! Isn't it possible to obtain an appropriate transformer? Or is it not possible to step lower voltage appliances up to 220 volts?

Last edited:
Most unfortunate! Isn't it possible to obtain an appropriate transformer? Or is it not possible to step lower voltage appliances up to 220 volts?

I've no idea, Anohito san, alas! I have a transformer for my Japanese Gamecube, but I don't think that'd work (I'm one with electrical knowledge at less than zero, unfortunately). I seem to remember running it past some slightly-more-knowledgable friends a couple of years back, and being told 'it'll be a nightmare to sort out' so I gave up...

I'll dig it out, and post details back here on this thread, if you don't mind? Nothing would make me happier than getting the machine running and churning out those little balls of heaven!!

To make takoyaki, a takoyaki grill pan which has many small cups is used. Takoyaki venders are often seen in Japan.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup flour
2 1/2 cup dashi soup
2 eggs
1/2 lb. boiled octopus chunks
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup dried sakura ebi (red shrimp)
1/4 cup chopped pickled red ginger
*For topping: bonito flakes, aonori (green dried seaweed), worcestershire sauce or takoyaki sauce, mayonnaise

PREPARATION:

Mix flour, dashi soup, and eggs in a bowl to make batter. Thickness of the batter should be like potage soup. Put oil inside cups of a takoyaki grill pan. Pour batter in the cups to the full. Add chopped octopus, red ginger, and green onion in each hole. Grill takoyaki balls, turning with a pick. When takoyaki become rounds and brown, remove them from the pan and place in a plate. Put sauce and mayonnaise on takoyaki and sprinkle bonito flakes and aonori on the top.

(its good really!!👍)
from the clumsy cook :p

I found a couple of links which seem to produce useful information about converting British electric current to a lower voltage for use by Japanese products.

Toroidal Transformer Range | Airlink Transformers

The first link addresses the issue of obtaining a converter/trasnformer that is appropriate for the number of watts an appliance draws.

The page at the following URL shows converters/transformers for going from US to Japanese current and vice versa.

Collections – Voltage Converter Transformers

Many thanks for the excellent links, Anohito, most kind of you!

Unfortunately, it confirms my worst, darkest, takoyaki-filled fears - that it'd cost me ツ≫??0+ to get my little takoyaki-maker up and running here in the UK 😭

I think the best option for me is to try to find a cast-iron takoyaki griddle that sits on a stove. I'll take a trip to Mitsukoshi in London next time i'm there, hope they have one! If not, I very much hope to be back in Japan within the next few months, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, then I have to work out what to do to find my tako here, in the land of the burnt sausage and greasy animal-based breakfast - taking up off-shore fishing as well may be an unwanted expense, but a most necessary one!!

Peace to all takoyaki-lovers of the world!

Hey Anohito did my recipe works out there with you? I hope it works :)

It was quite a nice recipe, I thought Kayo, (by the way, was it your own, or quoted from somewhere else??)

Also, how many delicious takoyakis would that recipe make? 1/2 lb of octopus sounds like a lot!

A search on Jref for 'takoyaki' throws up some very fine recipes too (both posted directly, and also as links)!

Check this thread out here

You're making me really hungry (and frustrated!) here guys! I think i'm gonna have to post a 'takoyaki London Jref party' on the board here, as my Japanese friends aren't in the UK right now - i'm missing those little bundles of batter-heaven more than the deserts miss the rain!

:(

Hey Anohito did my recipe works out there with you? I hope it works :)

Unfortunately, I cannot use your recipe for two reasons. One, I do not have a grill or a good substitute. Two, there is no good source of octopus in this area.:(

Many thanks for the excellent links, Anohito, most kind of you!

[snip]

I think the best option for me is to try to find a cast-iron takoyaki griddle that sits on a stove. I'll take a trip to Mitsukoshi in London next time i'm there, hope they have one! If not, I very much hope to be back in Japan within the next few months, so it shouldn't be a problem.
[snip]

You are quite welcome, made of stone.

You have access to a Mitsukoshi ?! I am exceedingly jealous! Even if they do not have a takoyaki griddle that sits on a stove (your Aga, of course!), they could probably order one for you. However, that would probably be expensive.

For any British people here who might remember the advert :LOL: i modded it slightly.

I feel like Takoyaki tonight like Takoyaki tonight like Takoyaki tonight :)

But I already have all my ingredients ready for Fried Chicken and Cashew Nuts, so too bad.

You are quite welcome, made of stone.

You have access to a Mitsukoshi ?! I am exceedingly jealous! Even if they do not have a takoyaki griddle that sits on a stove (your Aga, of course!), they could probably order one for you. However, that would probably be expensive.

Thanks, that's useful information once again (that they can order it in) :)

Yes, there's a Mitsukoshi near Piccadilly in London, the set lunch in the restaurant there's not bad value, and very authentic (mochiron!) The first time I went there it was really weird - no foreigners at all, and packed out with Japanese tourists, obviously missing a taste of home. It really was like being back in Japan, just two minutes after walking off a dirty London street...magic!

Owh =( i hope you will have a grill soon anohito! And i will check for some better and easier recipe's to make a mixture of my own takoyaki👍

This thread makes me drool over Tako!The ones they sell at my place kinda tastes lame.. I like the one they sell at Bon Odori!

I screamed "Takoyaki" when this informercial came on TV.
(I can't post URL, google "pancakepuff")
I picked one up at Bed, Bath and Beyond ($20), looks like it would work as Takoyaki grill.
Just have to find tako and it's hard since I live in land-locked city in US.

I've never tried it, but diced koya tofu (or koya dofu) might bring you some chewy taste.
I don't have my takoyaki pan, but I have koya tofu now and will put it when I cook okonomiyaki.
I'll tell you what it tastes like later.

Back
Top Bottom