What's new

Mystery sushi

Anohito

No Longer Active
24 Dec 2006
While working on my diary, I encountered a passage that still has me stumped:

"They had a new type of sushi, which was bright red (not maguro) and resembled meat more than fish. It tasted pretty good. I still couldn't tell what it was, though."

It also was not chū toro. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

http://mytown.asahi.com/iwate/news.php?k_id=03000000703070001
窶堋、窶堙懌?堋キ窶堋ャ窶堙ゥツ!ツ 窶楼窶佚イ窶ケツ哉湛ニ弾ツーニ鱈窶ケ窶ケツ食
ツ ツ坂?壺?ケ窶ーヒ彗窶ケツ坂?堙娯?牢ツ坂?佝置ニ停?ーニ停?愴檀ツ、窶楼窶佚イ窶ケツ坂?堙姑湛ニ弾ツーニ鱈窶堋ェ窶啅窶愿コツ、窶ーナ督州ナスs窶愿?窶堙個渉ャナ?wツ校窶堙娯?ケ窶ケツ食窶堙俄?徙ツ湘ェ窶堋オツ、ツ「窶堋、窶堙懌?堋キ窶堋ャ窶堙ゥツ。窶堙「窶堙ュ窶堙ァ窶堋ゥ窶堋「ツ」窶堙?ス邃「窶慊カ窶堙ー窶佚・ナ?テャ窶堙鯛?堋ウ窶堋ケ窶堋スツ??ステ環真ツ。窶ケ窶ケツ食窶堙可「窶冢ナスY窶冢ツ湘?」窶堙ーツ催娯?堙ィ窶愿シ窶堙ェ窶堙ゥ窶慊ッナスs窶楼窶佚イ窶ケテヲ窶堙娯?堋ィナ?y窶堋オ窶堙昶?ケ窶ケツ食窶堙?、ツ債。窶扼窶堙??啗窶扼窶禿堋。窶慊ッ窶ケテヲ窶堙個渉ャナ?wツ校窶啖ツ校窶堙??吮??ナ?wツ校窶啀ツ校窶堙?ステ?ナス{窶堋ウ窶堙ェ窶堋スツ。
ツ ニ湛ニ弾ツーニ鱈窶堙債渉ャナ?wツ青カ窶堋ェ窶啜窶唹ニ丹ニ停?ーニ停ぎツ、窶吮??ナ?wツ青カ窶堙坂?啅窶唹ニ丹ニ停?ーニ停ぎツ。窶堋ア窶堙ェ窶堙家探ニ停?ーニ胆窶堙?、ニ端ニ椎?ツー窶堙姑断ニ旦ツーニ暖窶堙遺?堙??啜窶「i窶堋ェ窶堙や?堋「窶堋スツ。ナ?wツ校窶ケ窶ケツ食ニ短ニ停?愴耽ツー窶堙俄?堙ヲ窶堙ゥ窶堙?、窶堋ア窶堙娯?愿コ窶廃ヒ?凪?堋オ窶堋ス窶堙娯?堙坂?啀窶啌窶唹窶唹ツ食窶「ツェツ。窶楼窶佚イ窶ケツ坂?堙哉陳債ーニ湛窶堙??伉坂?氾岩?堙坂?禿ア窶啖窶唹ニ鱈ニ陳債。ニ湛ニ弾ツーニ鱈窶愿キ窶堙娯?儕窶ーツソ窶堙坂?啜窶唹ニ丹ニ停?ーニ停ぎ窶堙??啅窶啌窶唹窶ー~ツ。窶凖環湘ュ窶堙娯?ケ窶ケツ食窶堙娯?啌窶掉ヒ?按湘」窶堙??堋「窶堋、ツ「ツ坂?ケ窶ーテ倪?敕?」窶堋セ窶堋サ窶堋、窶堋セツ。

SUPER YUMMY! Maezawa beef at school lunch
The famous quality beef, Maezawa beef, was served at school lunch in Oshu city. Kids were delighted at the beef saying "Super yummy. Super soft."

The price was 630JPY, about 5USD/50gram.

I guess it was a fatty beef sushi, probably slightly grilled.

While working on my diary, I encountered a passage that still has me stumped:

"They had a new type of sushi, which was bright red (not maguro) and resembled meat more than fish. It tasted pretty good. I still couldn't tell what it was, though."

It also was not chū toro. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Does pipokun's reply make sense to you? I ask because I have seen a rather bright reddish colored, almost transluscent, sushi before. However it most definitely was maguro, a cheaper cut no less, but still maguro.

There are a few other "red" colored fish that are eaten as sushi, I am curious if you had a picture or not.

There is like pipokun wrote beef, or even horse meat sushi as well which are both fairly red in color, but you should be able to tell the difference between fish or meat when eating them.

Does pipokun's reply make sense to you? I ask because I have seen a rather bright reddish colored, almost transluscent, sushi before. However it most definitely was maguro, a cheaper cut no less, but still maguro.

There are a few other "red" colored fish that are eaten as sushi, I am curious if you had a picture or not.

There is like pipokun wrote beef, or even horse meat sushi as well which are both fairly red in color, but you should be able to tell the difference between fish or meat when eating them.

Sorry, I do not have a picture.

I'm certain that it was not beef. It was a rectangular slab, like a standard piece of fish used in nigiri sushi. It was not akagai, which I would have recognized. This was at Genroku Sushi, so it would not have been expensive horse meat (or even beef)! Perhaps it was the cheap maguro you mentioned. Or, maybe it was from a fish that had been frozen. Sometimes freezing fish can change the texture.

I guess it will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries!

Sorry, I do not have a picture.
I'm certain that it was not beef. It was a rectangular slab, like a standard piece of fish used in nigiri sushi. It was not akagai, which I would have recognized. This was at Genroku Sushi, so it would not have been expensive horse meat (or even beef)! Perhaps it was the cheap maguro you mentioned. Or, maybe it was from a fish that had been frozen. Sometimes freezing fish can change the texture.
I guess it will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries!
Did it look like this....? Or was it more reddish? That picture is of kajiki sushi not maguro. Just before I ate it:)

Last edited:
I found a very interesting webpage, a huge collection of sushi.
寿司図鑑 第1集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑 第2集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑 第3集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑 第4集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑(寿司ネタ図鑑) 目次 | 市場魚貝類図鑑

Click 窶佚ヲxxナ?ツェ on each page, and you can see five different nigirizushi with photo for each.

And here are some photos of different types of maguro.
鮪(マグロ)

Akami (red meat) of maguro from different kaiten-zushi (conveyer type of sushi-restaurants)
Maracas.net
Maracas.net
Maracas.net
Chuutoro
http://maracas.net/kaiten/dictionary/tuna_tyutoro.html
Ootoro
http://maracas.net/kaiten/dictionary/tuna_otoro.html

I didn't know there are so many of them...😌

This diary entry was from July 1983, more than 20 years ago, so I do not have a clear memory of what the sushi looked like now. However, I had been eating sushi since 1975 and had seen many diferent things, even if I had not eaten all of them!

pipokun,

I would have recognized katsuo tataki. I had eaten some by 1983.

obeika,

The supermarket section of Seiyu had whale meat, and I would have recognized it if I saw it at Genroku Sushi. There was very little fancy or exotic sushi at Genroku Sushi!

undrentide,

That is an interesting site. I will explore it further in the future. For now, my best guess is that the "mystery sushi" was some kind of maguro. Are the captions below the pictures the name of the shop where the sushi is sold?

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it very much.

I found a very interesting webpage, a huge collection of sushi.
寿司図鑑 第1集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑 第2集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑 第3集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑 第4集 | 市場魚貝類図鑑
寿司図鑑(寿司ネタ図鑑) 目次 | 市場魚貝類図鑑

Click 窶佚ヲxxナ?ツェ on each page, and you can see five different nigirizushi with photo for each.

And here are some photos of different types of maguro.
鮪(マグロ)

Akami (red meat) of maguro from different kaiten-zushi (conveyer type of sushi-restaurants)
Maracas.net
Maracas.net
Maracas.net
Chuutoro
Maracas.net
Ootoro
Maracas.net

I didn't know there are so many of them...😌
Am I the only one who experiences a pressing feeling on my heart when seeing these pics? 😌 I want to try all of them!!

Back
Top Bottom