What's new

Natto?

I'm not gonna even try Natto cuz. it looks disgusting! ugh! Just the image of Natto makes me feel sick~~! :mad:

Umeboshii is also good too, but I personally like the Curry Udon. Wow that stuff I can eat anytime.

Oh and Ami, by all means TRY Natto. So then you can decide if you like it or not.

I defend my argument earlier, still saying it tastes like puke.:)

Honestly speaking, when I first tried Natto I about lost it, but my Dad taught me to always try something 3 times before I commit myself to hating or liking something. It turns out that the third time I tried Natto (actually Natto Maki) I was hooked. I haven't lived in Japan for about 7 years now but I still eat Natto at least once a week.

hey good advice adam ;) I will bring myself to eat natto two more times and hopefully I like it.
I love umeboshii! It's great for your stomach too.

I guess I am in the minority here because I love natto.
I have it a couple times a week for breakfast, my favorite way of preparing it is with lots of karashi, raw egg yolk, katsuo-bushi and negi. I also add some chopped okra when I have it in the house.
I know some people who like it mixed with mayo, now that is disgusting!

I like Okura - people say if I like Okura I will like natto... so maybe I should try again. I plan to try another 2-3 times before I make a decision whether I like it or not. ;)

Natto is fermented soy beans. Umeboshii is pickled plums.

And I'm merging this thread in with the Natto thread that has already been in progress. Very interesting discussion there and a picture or two... ;)

Originally posted by Sgt. Wang
umeboshii................................................*drool*

Hmm.........can I say it again?

You might not want to mix up Natto (ugh) with Umeboshii (mmm...)

The first time I tried it I wanted it plain just to see what it "really" tastes like. So I didn't add any mustard, daikon, pickles, sauce, anything. And I was pretty unimpressed. I am a big fan of stinky cheeses, so I was expecting something, erm, "robust" like roquefort or gorgonzola. But natto by itself really doesn't have all that much flavor.

But once I started adding stuff to it I loved it. The cool thing is finding new stuff to add. However once thing marks me as an intransitive gaijin -- I cannot and will not eat natto for breakfast. Everybody has their limit, and mine is breakfast.

heheh i tried natto once...i can eat it but given a choice i wouldnt...

has anyone seen the unuseless inventions book...chindogu...that has a natto cutting stand? you pull it up...and cut the strand with the handy dandy scissors..ta dah! mess free natto!! :)

how funny

:sick: I've never tried it so I can't say anything about it. o_O looks interesting though...then again, I've eaten cow's tongue..it was good! :)

I can proudly say that I have never tried natto. But whenever the topic of natto would come up in my English conversation classes in Tokyo, I would always teach them the words "sticky, stringy, stinky."

Recipe's Please!

I keep Natto in my house.
I tried it once in some sushi rolls at a friends house. She warned me I wouldnt like it, but I do. Now Im curious to know some other ways of preparing it.

I have a 4year old daughter who also eats it if prepared in something. She wont eat it raw. But I dont mind it.
I was told its also very good for keeping the immune system strong.
In this bad flu season we are having, I thought it would be a good idea to beef up on some Natto a couple times a week.
However, Im very new to Japanese foods. But I DO have access to an excellent asian market here. Recipe suggestions or Links would be very appreciated!
Arigatou!
Heather

Back
Top Bottom