Note that this thread was started 3944 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

View Poll Results: Can you slurp your noodles?

Voters 153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can

108 70.59%
  • No, I can't

14 9.15%
  • I have never tried

19 12.42%
  • I think it's disgusting!!

12 7.84%
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  • Jump to page:
1 Likes

Thread: To slurp or not to slurp??

Male
    Join Date Jun 6, 2003
    Location Seattle
    Posts 338
    United States

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

The way I see it, slurping is pretty much mandatory as far as ramen goes. Slurping is the only way to eat it quickly without scalding yourself, and if you eat slowly it will get cold before you're done.
    Dog Youkai Male
    Join Date Jan 15, 2004
    Location Clovis, CA
    Posts 781
    United States
    I can slurp, havnt done it out in public yet though Should be interesting.
    "Kanpeki to chau, jinsei no shuushi
    Puramai zero da nanteba honto ka na?
    Shinu made ni tsukaikiru, un no kazu
    Semete, jibun de dashiire wo sasete
    "
    Hullu Male
    Join Date Apr 22, 2004
    Location Espoo
    Posts 3,568
    Finland
    There have been studies that when you are slurping you can taste the things you eat better...hehe...I'm brought up without the slurping...when I do..I just say to my parents: "In Japan it is polite to slurp...soooo...". Usually they tell me even so not to do it -_-;
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.
    十人十色
    Join Date Apr 22, 2004
    Posts 43
    The first time i slurped was quite fun. Actually since then, i can't imagine myself NOT slurping when eating those burning hot noodles.

I remember i was at the Japan Center in London with my boyfriend and we had ordered Curry Udon (oooooohhh so delicious ) and i started slurping like crazy and he started blushing, he was like "are you mad?! what the hell you think you're doing? stop it, you're embarassing me" that made me laugh i was like "stop being such a p***y and slurp your udon too, that's the japanese way of eating" . The japanese people around me didn't pay attention at all, but the brits were *shocked*

I just think you have to adapt yourself to the country you're going to. It's not easy to eat with chopsticks but you have no choice but to use them, you might not like the idea of slurping your noodles but that's how you're supposed to eat them.
    Consider yourself lucky, because in some countries you have to eat with your hand (no cutlery of any kind is used) and trust me that ain't easy at all (unless you've mastered the technic of course....)

DO THE SLURPING !
    Join Date May 14, 2004
    Location Richmond, BC CANADA
    Posts 85
    Canada
    A friend of mine (who's Japanese) told me that in Japan it's okay for men to slurp but women shouldn't. It bad manners.
    Join Date Apr 29, 2004
    Location Germany
    Posts 1,573
    Germany
    Udon and Ramen are meant to be slurped! You can't really fully enjoy them without slurping!
    [url=http://www.jref.com/forum/index.php&styleid=18][IMG]http://www.jref.com/forum/images/misc/jref-orange.gif[/IMG]
    Try out the new style![/url]
    先輩
    Join Date May 12, 2004
    Posts 17
    ..lol..i never really tyr to do that..lol..i think my friend tried that once though..^^''
    Anjin Male
    Join Date Apr 10, 2004
    Location Seattle, Washington
    Posts 1,288
    United States
    I understand that slurping is ok in the Japanese culture and I respect that, but, for me, hearing the sounds of people eating has always been a big pet peeve - it causes me to loose my appetite. But I rarely ate ramen in Japan because it didn't really agree with me, so it wasn't that big an issue.
    Now it's me
    Join Date Mar 31, 2004
    Location it depends on the day
    Posts 232

Heart we all have

Originally Posted by kirei_na_me
    I think I've ruined a shirt or two trying to slurp...
    Yes ! Shirts can be washed, Kirei_na_me !!!

I say : Let's slurp our head off !!!

but then you can't do it if you're invited in the white house (that is if it happens to you, one day) nor if you are in "non initiated company ". But I know I love it within my own personnal circle. Food taste much better that way. It's a way of life, too. But let's not shock or disgust others.

It's like in some arabic countries, if you are invited, you MUST (really HAVE TO) burp at the end of the meal, otherwise you might imply that you were not fed correctly and/or the food was not enjoyable. It's a great insult no to burp.

So, why not ? Let's slurp !!
    Just little me!!! But maybe a little taller

You grow up, every day. Every second...
    bara gohon
    Join Date Jun 27, 2004
    Location Connecticut
    Posts 3
    United_States
    Aw man, this is making me want to go make some soba! I love slurping!

stare deep into the eyes of Postulio!
    Regular House Cat Female
    Join Date Feb 28, 2004
    Location Toronto
    Posts 379
    Canada
    wow, i never knew that slurping needed to be taught.

I thought it was one of those instinctive things, like chewing...or such.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jun 8, 2004
    Posts 87
    UK - Scotland
    When drinking coffie I slurp.
    + =

Prohibition I will drink to that.

Yes it is a very lame joke
    The Funky Homosapien. Male
    Join Date Dec 7, 2003
    Location Torontokyo, Japanada
    Posts 728
    Canada-Ontario
    Yes, Yes and Yes, slurping is unavoidable, and the best way to noodles
    Japaustralian Male
    Join Date May 5, 2004
    Location Australia
    Posts 540
    Australia
    i didnt think it was possible for people to not be able to slurp noodles! oh well i love slurping noodles. when i have noodles at home i slurp them and my mum tells me to shut up and then i say "mum its the correct etiquette for showing the noodles taste good" and then shes off my case
    When it comes down to it the art and sport of Kendo is a question, "I'm going to hit you in the head with a stick, but can you hit me first?" - Me
    Female
    Join Date Jan 18, 2004
    Location Toronto, Canada
    Posts 289
    Canada
    I don't slurp and I don't like people slurping when I am eating. It is so noisy... >_<

There are Japanese people saying that it is a custom in Northern China to slurp their udons too. Actually, there are a lot of southern Chinese slurp even when they are eating instant noodles.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 6, 2004
    Location NYS, US
    Posts 1,414
    United States
    I had "somen" yesterday, tried to slurp once or twice, but I hated it.
    Slurping makes hard to eat for me, soup splashes all over my face, suck too much air and noodles at the same time that make me gag.

I used to be able to slurp, though I don't think it's that much fun either.
    Join Date Jan 29, 2004
    Posts 13
    slurping is fun. im proud to say that im pretty noisy when i do it.
    I think I know, I don稚 think I know, I think I know, I know I don稚 think I know, I don稚 think I think
    Hell's Finest Daughter Female
    Join Date Jul 15, 2004
    Location Naraka
    Posts 1,702
    USA - Illinois
    I went to a noodle house in my town once and I ordered ramen. I sat down at a table with the bowl of ramen and I slurped it. They asked me to leave because the mannered customers were being offended by it.
    In the tower above the earth, There is a view that reaches far. Where we see the universe, I see the fire, I see the end.
    -Sufjan Stevens
    Join Date Jul 2, 2004
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 437
    United_States
    I can slurp if I want to but I can cut it out at anytime it I guess all depends where I am at. But when it comes to drinking the broth of the ramen you almost have to slurp that beacuse it is so damn hot you only take it in small slurped ammounts.
    *Cacawate Bodyguard*

*lina inverse fan club member*
    Join Date Apr 29, 2004
    Location Germany
    Posts 1,573
    Germany
    Originally Posted by misa.j
    I had "somen" yesterday, tried to slurp once or twice, but I hated it.
    Slurping makes hard to eat for me, soup splashes all over my face, suck too much air and noodles at the same time that make me gag.

I used to be able to slurp, though I don't think it's that much fun either.
    You just need some slurping practice!
    Hold the noodles with your chopsticks while slurping so they don't go all over the place splashing the broth everywhere.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 6, 2004
    Location NYS, US
    Posts 1,414
    United States
    Originally Posted by Lina Inverse
    You just need some slurping practice!
    Hold the noodles with your chopsticks while slurping so they don't go all over the place splashing the broth everywhere.
    You're very kind to give me that advice, thank you.
    I had been slurping for 25 years when I ate noodles in Japan, but I think I lost my skill.
    ...what?!... Male
    Join Date Jul 17, 2004
    Posts 241
    Norway
    Never tried slurping noodles.. i lift it up with my fork to cool it off...
    My parents raised me so well, that it rendered me incabable of slurping

I'm serious. I just can not eat anything in public that i have to slurp.
    If i slurp and a person walks by, i feel very uncomfortable even embarrassed.

is there any evening courses on slurping noodles?
    If In Doubt...
    Run And Hide...
    Cat lover Female
    Join Date Mar 28, 2004
    Location Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts 1,713
    Denmark
    nope.......I don't slurp my noodles. -but I can, if forced!!

Well, it is not polite to slurp here in Europe, so I don't, I was raised that way I guess.
    My mother who is Japanese, doesn't slurp her noodles - I think it is because of conventions in Western countries.
    Join Date Aug 19, 2004
    Posts 73
    United_States
    Hahahaa.... When I heard that slurping is to show you like the food.. I slurped all the time 'cause all them noodles were always d**n good, huhuhu

Since on the subject of food/noodles... don't try to take someone elses food from their chopsticks using your chopsticks. It's bad manners, as I've found out while trying to take my girls noodles, lol.

DOH~! >.<
    Hullu Male
    Join Date Apr 22, 2004
    Location Espoo
    Posts 3,568
    Finland
    Originally Posted by Hero
    Since on the subject of food/noodles... don't try to take someone elses food from their chopsticks using your chopsticks. It's bad manners, as I've found out while trying to take my girls noodles, lol.
    DOH~! >.<
    When somebody dies, they pass on every piece of bones to eachother into the urn....that's why they don't do it ....also if someone takes something, the other one can't take that.

*ontopic : I slurped so much while in Japan, especially with the ramen en udon and SOBAAAAAAAAAA!!!! oishii !!!!!!!! damn I miss Soba

LinkBacks (?)

1. Feb 5, 2013, 06:13

User Tag List