Note that this thread was started 3854 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

View Poll Results: Can you slurp your noodles?

Voters 153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can

108 70.59%
  • No, I can't

14 9.15%
  • I have never tried

19 12.42%
  • I think it's disgusting!!

12 7.84%
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
1 Likes

Thread: To slurp or not to slurp??

Female
    Join Date Aug 10, 2006
    Location Old Ashippun, WI
    Posts 1,624
    United States

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

I can't stand the sound. It's disgusting. I wouldn't be allowed to eat at the table if I made all those icky, smacking sounds. My mother would've have asked me if I was raised in a barn. Truthfully my horses eat quieter. I can't even tolerate the sound of my cats eating canned food! YUCK! Oh, the burping out loud annoys me too!
    thomas likes this.
    I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.
    ~Jack Handey
    AntiNEC Male
    Join Date Apr 29, 2007
    Location Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts 6
    Canada-Alberta
    I can slurp, but the water in the soup flies everywhere, namely in my wife's face
    She still insists I slurp, regardless.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jun 18, 2006
    Location Auckland
    Posts 177
    New Zealand
    I only slurp when I'm alone as it is a bit taboo out west. I don't mind it though, but it's when people chew with their mouth open that I loose it. That's the wrong kind of See-Food diet!
    後輩 Male
    Join Date May 2, 2007
    Posts 12
    United States
    my friends got me to slurp all types of noodles...and now my mom is like "wtf, don't make so much noise when eating!" cuz we're korean and we don't slurp.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date May 1, 2007
    Age 26
    Posts 105
    United States
    I'm not used to making the noise. So I tend not to do it. Although, Portuguese people tend to slurp eating soup (at least in my family :P), I have to hear my dad do it !
    後輩 Female
    Join Date Aug 8, 2005
    Location Japan
    Posts 9
    Japan-Tokyo
    I voted "No, I can't". Sometimes I really TRY to do it when I'm at a Japanese friend's home and the main dish is soba, udon or ramen, just as a sign of politeness and respect to their customs. But as soon as I get tired of trying, I simply say "it's delicious, but I can't slurp anymore". Then I briefly explain manners in Western countries, which usually leads to interesting discussions.

Once I asked a Japanese friend: "when you eat spaghetti, do you slurp?", and she said no, but couldn't really explain to me why.
    継続は力なり Male
    Join Date Apr 30, 2007
    Location 千葉県
    Age 33
    Posts 1,125
    Japan-Chiba
    there was a good soba place near my branch in Tokyo, I ate there alot for lunch and dinner. I think generally in Japan, when eating noodles its socially acceptable to slurp and I felt no shame in doing so. Everyone slurped, even the women, its just the easiest way to eat noodles and I think everyones too polite and focused on their food to really care.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jul 14, 2010
    Location Saginaw, Michigan
    Age 21
    Posts 486
    USA - Michigan
    I can kind of slurp my noodles, I am not great at it though, I tend to get the broth everywhere when I do.
    いいじゃないか Female
    Join Date Sep 11, 2006
    Location Tokyo
    Posts 108
    Japan
    I can't slurp however I tried.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date Jan 19, 2010
    Location Colorado
    Posts 36
    USA - Colorado
    Nobody ever bothered to teach me table manners, so I have no problem slurping noodles. It's what I've always done. This whole not being able to slurp confuses me.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jul 18, 2011
    Location New Hampshire
    Posts 25
    USA - New Hampshire
    I was just talking about this with my friend the other day. How do you not slurp when you are using chop sticks to eat noodles?
    先輩
    Join Date Nov 29, 2012
    Location Your mom
    Posts 39
    United States
    Sometimes I slurp my drink very loudly at dinner when I'm bored. But I would never slurp a noodle.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Oct 4, 2012
    Location Chubu
    Posts 1,314
    Japan
    I wouldn't be allowed to eat at the table if I made all those icky, smacking sounds. My mother would've have asked me if I was raised in a barn.
    There is a big difference between the sound of slurping noodles and smacking your lips.

I do find it annoying when people smack their lips more than a little. But I never found slurping to be such a problem. The smacking seems to me to be a self-control problem. But the slurping seems necessary, especially if soup or noodles are hot.

And it is hard to be quiet eating noodles with chopsticks. So much so its not worth trying.

I guess the thing about me is that I conform my emotions to practicality. It seems to me most people want the world to bend to their emotions and little idiosyncrasies and that is nothing but a path to frustration.
    Did you ever hear of the plumber with leaky pipes? Seems his customers' pipes all froze last winter, but his were fine!
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Dec 10, 2012
    Location Columbus, OH
    Posts 32
    USA - Ohio
    I slurp and its always been a natural talent for me. Slurpring your ramen noodles is a must.
    後輩 Female
    Join Date Mar 2, 2013
    Location Edinburgh
    Age 23
    Posts 12
    UK - Scotland
    I always slurp for Scotland when I'm eating ready noodles at home lol. I actually find it hard not to slurp as it just seems to comes naturally for me and plus it stops the noodles from burning my mouth. I do try and tone it down a bit when I'm having ramen at a Japanese restaurant with my friends; I still end up slurping a little bit, though.
    Delusions of Adequacy Male
    Join Date Mar 15, 2002
    Location Japan
    Posts 8,785
    Japan-Gunma
    "Slurp for Scotland"

I can't decide if that is better than "Close your eyes and think of England" or not....
    Banned From Everything Male
    Join Date Sep 16, 2013
    Location Pennsylvania
    Posts 6
    USA - Pennsylvania
    Yes! It's important to remember that you are eating Japanese noodles, so you eat them like a true nihonjin
    後輩 Male
    Join Date Nov 20, 2013
    Location New York
    Posts 6
    USA - New York
    I can slurp, but it's important that nobody who thinks it's disgusting is watching me) I mean I'm absolutely ok but I wouldn't liek to spoil somebody's appetite by doing so
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:

LinkBacks (?)

1. Feb 5, 2013, 06:13

User Tag List