• Yakitori

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Tonkatsu

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Nikujaga

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
Nabemono

On cold winter evenings, there can't be many dishes that can top a steaming pot of nabemono with ponzu sauce and daikon oroshi as condiments, hot rice, cold beer and some dear friends to share it all with. 👍👍🙂

NATTO!! >.< (j/k, i've never eaten natto!)

I would say gyozas (pig gyozas xD), I could eat like... 40! lol.

NATTO!! >.< (j/k, i've never eaten natto!)
I would say gyozas (pig gyozas xD), I could eat like... 40! lol.

Natto is good for you. It's the Japanese version of cheese. Fermented and high in protein but smelly, especially if old.

Gyoza is good...pero no me gustos los albondingas.

Of course sashimi is one of my favorites...but I was disappointed that Japanese curry did not make the list. I am also a big fan of Yakisoba.

I love shrimp tempura appiteizer and Nissin Ramen noodles.
I don't know if it is traditional Japanese but I wirk at Benihana and I love the chicken fried rice.
I'm doing pretty good to have never been to Japan.

Udon

During a great day of skiing in the Japanese Alps, in powder snow, it's great to be able to go into one of the restaurants next to the slopes and dig into a hot bowl of UDON! 👍 It's so delicious with its its subtle broth (much more interesting than ramen broth, IMO) and the chewy, thick noodles just hits the spot. 😌

I had the kitsune udon with that fried bean curd thing which was a sweet contrast to the lightly salty broth. Oishikatta! The meal gave me stamina for the rest of the day of awesome skiing in knee deep powder. Yeah! :p

Of course, sushi and sashimi are true delicious when it is good and well prepared fish.

However, my best surprise was Tonyu Nabe (Hot pot in soya milk). It is healthy, tasty and quite cheap to prepare. I also like the atmosphere of nabe meals (where you prepare the food yourself).

Hi everybody.....I need someone to help me with a simple question on Japanese food. A friend of mine tasted a special dessert on a Japanese restaurant. According to her description it was a plate of small seeds, round shaped and very small - the size of small fish eye -. The seeds were served in a sort of juice and the dessert was sweet. I know nothing else except that she was told Japanese brides usually eat/ate that speciality before the wedding as in this way she would have a very soft skin on the wedding day. Does anybody have any idea about what such dessert might be? Thank you in advance for any help.

Japanese food is without a doubt the finest in the world, but I have to say sushi/sashimi tops them all - doesn't matter how much of it I have, I just can't seem to get tired of it :D

I go crazy for TONKATSU!

I am yet to fully explore Japanese cuisine though. I would love to try a greater variation than I already have.

I have heard that Natto is the Japanese version of Vegemite in a sense. So if you like vegemite then you'll like natto, I wish I could confirm this though :)

nothing and i mean nothing beats DANGO mmm Mitarashi Dango so nice!

okonomiyaki , takoyaki , seafood rice omelette , crepe( japanese style) ..ah the list is endless

On Natto ...

I have finally tried, started to regularly consume and enjoy natto ! - even if it seems to horrify so many.

Yes - it does smell a tad like discarded underwear (but not too bad), but I find the flavour quite nice in many dishes - almost like caramel. It's also quite versatile. I have used it on rice, in soups, as a filling in meat dishes etc. etc. I wouldn't say it's my favourite food - but I now just have to have some in my larder ....

And it's not expensive.

Go mad! Force yourselves!

ジョン

P.S. - Where the hell can I buy shiso leaves in Vancouver ... ? Can't find any to save my life ....

veggie sushi

I like sushi the best. Since I'm vegetarian, I eat only the vegetable sushi as well as inari.

I'm working up the courage to try natto. It just smells so awful, almost like rotting feet. But I've heard its very healthy etc.

Last edited:
Another favorite food is from the restaurant Mos Burger. They have a veggie burger called the "kinpira rice burger." Its so good! I always buy that and a corn soup.

i would really love to try all kinds of japanese foods....i mean i already tried some here in malaysia but i think it doesn't taste like the originals...japanese foods has its own unique taste don't they?? demo...seriously, i don't really like wasabi...although i like spicy food, wasabi just don't go with my taste...

Back
Top Bottom