View Poll Results: What's your favorite Japanese food?

Voters 397. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sushi/Sashimi

147 37.03%
  • Sukiyaki

17 4.28%
  • Okonomiyaki

22 5.54%
  • Udon/Zoba

31 7.81%
  • Tempura

25 6.30%
  • Ramen/Somen

76 19.14%
  • Donburi

17 4.28%
  • Gyoza

14 3.53%
  • Shabu shabu

13 3.27%
  • Yakitori

21 5.29%
  • Tonkatsu

11 2.77%
  • Nikujaga

3 0.76%
Page 3 of 17 First 1234513 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

Thread: What's your favorite Japanese food?

先輩
    Join Date Jul 7, 2003
    Location French vixen ^.~
    Age 29
    Posts 63

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

curry and udon!!

and tempura! XD

is tofu considered Japanese?

if it is then that too! ^_^
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 14, 2003
    Location Kansai
    Posts 490
    Japan
    I loooove tofu too.

I am going to an asian medicine doctor and he's given me this STRICT diet to adhere to : no meat, oil of anykind, sugar & milk.

so... I eat washoku everyday! so now, I looove fish - saba and aji especially.... oh and I love somen! I'm pretty restricted to what I can eat, but as soon as I'm off this diet I'll go straight to karaage - yummm.

anyone like nato? I haven't the courage to try it yet!
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Apr 22, 2003
    Location Location: Tokyo. Country: Quebec, Canada
    Posts 352
    Japan-Tokyo
    If you like smelly cheese, nattou is just like it, I find. The feeling in the mouth is not quite the same, however. If you like the feeling of beens in very sticky cheese in your mouth, you should like it. Yet, you'd be surprised just how many people just can't stomach the stuff here either, so there's no shame in avoiding it. I've only had it a couple of times in 5 years here...

It's funny that you say that you eat Japanese style every day now that you're on a diet... I find Japanese dishes very fat, myself...

Back on track, can anything top okonomiyaki? Or tonkotsu ramen?
    - His arrogance is matched only by his firepower.
    - La culture, c'est comme la confiture: moins on en a, plus on l'etend.
    - TANSTAAFL.
    Twirling dragon Male
    Join Date Jul 17, 2002
    Location 西京
    Posts 3,333
    Belgium - Brussels
    There are too many dishes to be listed, but here are those who spring to mind : tantanmen, miso ramen, jajamen, tofu gratin, katsudon, soborodon, kaisendon, hijiki, sushi, negitoro maki, subuta...

I guess most people don't know half of them, as they are either home-cooking (hijiki, soborodon...) and thus difficult to find in restaurants, or not so common for foreigners (tantanmen, jajamen, which are kinds of "ramen", the first is in red hor soup, the second without soup, but to dip in a thick meat-ginger-bambu sauce).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia : over 150 destinations
    Follow the Japan Forum on Twitter
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 14, 2003
    Location Kansai
    Posts 490
    Japan
    that sounds so yum Maciamo!! I'm going to ask my husband to make it for me, especially jajamen sounds yummmm! (If it fits my diet. Imagine - a Japanese man who likes to cook wow!)

P.S - someone said Japanese food is fatty, which a lot of it can be today - but I'm talking about TRADITIONAL washoku - grilled fish, rice, somen, tofu, sashimi, tsukemono etc......
    Where I'm Supposed to Be Female
    Join Date Jan 31, 2003
    Location Virginia
    Age 37
    Posts 4,826
    United States
    haha...nzueda...it is weird to have a Japanese man that cooks! Mine used to love to cook. I will never forget the look on my Japanese friend's face as my husband told her about how he used the "bouquet garnis" in his recipe for curry rice... hehe
    Last edited by kirei_na_me; Aug 1, 2003 at 05:56.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 14, 2003
    Location Kansai
    Posts 490
    Japan
    Greetings to a fellow gaijin wife! we are a rare breed! The rest of western women out there don't know what they're missing out on.......... hehe

先輩
    Join Date Jul 9, 2003
    Age 27
    Posts 84
    Not trying to sound weird, but you know those Japanese places where they cook in front of you... The smell of the oil they use makes me feel sick. I haven't had any different kind of Japanese food, the smell of that oil haunts me.
    Pretending I did not recognize,
    I was staring at the distant view from the small window.
    The echo of Angel's song is spreading through the sky,
    wafted in on the breeze.
    I see the leaves rustle in the wind, but no sound is to be heard.
    "It's just a sweet time's mischief,"
    I whispered to the sky.

(Miserable, Gackt)
    Join Date Jan 31, 2003
    Location Virginia
    Age 37
    Posts 4,826
    United States
    Not trying to sound weird, but you know those Japanese places where they cook in front of you... The smell of the oil they use makes me feel sick. I haven't had any different kind of Japanese food, the smell of that oil haunts me.
    You are not alone! We have those teppanyaki restaurants everywhere around here. Of course, teppanyaki isn't real traditional style Japanese food.

I got so sick at one of those teppanyaki places one time. I think it was because they drown everything in soy sauce...
    先輩 Female
    Join Date Dec 15, 2002
    Location Metro Detroit, MI
    Posts 473
    United States
    That is very different than "traditional" Japanese cuisine. In fact, I believe it to be more American than Japanese (and it's not mentioned in any of my Japanese cookbooks). Japanese cuisine is light and delicate, in my opinion. No heavy flavors, very little oil. Others will expand, and maybe make clearer what I've said (please do).
    先輩
    Join Date Jul 9, 2003
    Age 27
    Posts 84
    I though you'd all laugh at me. My cousin loves those places, but I don't know how she could with that smell. I haven't been to any other place like that, but is there a Japanese food you'd prefure(sp) me to try. I don't mind trying new things.
    Join Date Jul 9, 2003
    Age 27
    Posts 35
    United_States
    I've never really gotten to try any. My sister says it smells really bad and it makes her sick, while my cousin thinks its really good.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 14, 2003
    Location Kansai
    Posts 490
    Japan
    Teppanyaki is entertainment for gaijin, rather than traditional cuisine......
    It's true, that in traditional food, they don't drown the food in sauces, they let the food speak for itself...
    The Rise of Cobra Male
    Join Date Aug 31, 2003
    Location Spokane
    Age 31
    Posts 1,096
    United States
    Sushi is my favorite kind of Japanese food! Wish I knew how to make it! Are there any good Japanese steak dishes?
    When you complain about the farmer try not to talk with your mouth full.
    先輩
    Join Date Jul 27, 2003
    Location Brooklyn, New York
    Age 33
    Posts 31
    i personally love some karaage and gohan. this is a great combination for me and japanese rice is good, i can eat it by itself. Also eat the karaage with some mayonaise. its the best.
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Dec 25, 2002
    Location alberta, canada
    Posts 138
    Canada
    kabayaki

doo doo doo
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 14, 2003
    Location Kansai
    Posts 490
    Japan
    karaage and rice!!! yes!!! YUMMM! I adore karaage.
    Ebifry is pretty darn good too!

Now that the temperatures are dropping a bit, I'm loving nabe! and today we bought "Hot carpet" .... eating nabe, sitting on the electric carpet, and drinking sake on a cold night.... mmmmm heaven!!
    Student of Japanese Stuff
    Join Date May 6, 2003
    Location Ottawa, Ontario. Canadian.
    Age 46
    Posts 29
    With my fiance having lived in Japan for 3 years she is always making something. There is this one item I love and I cannot remember the name it of. She says that alot of students make it. It looks almost like a pancake with things in it, like chicken, veggies. and its pan fried. Which you then dip in either mayo or something else (not sure the name. Man my memory is BAD today).

I also LOVE tempura, raman noodles with miso soup base (I have the paste stuff in my fridge at home), Yakitory. Oh and I LOVE red bean paste cups. (yummy)
    Denis
    でにす
    かなだ
    生の生活
    Join Date Jan 31, 2003
    Location Virginia
    Age 37
    Posts 4,826
    United States
    Originally posted by djl_ottawa
    With my fiance having lived in Japan for 3 years she is always making something. There is this one item I love and I cannot remember the name it of. She says that alot of students make it. It looks almost like a pancake with things in it, like chicken, veggies. and its pan fried. Which you then dip in either mayo or something else (not sure the name. Man my memory is BAD today).
    Okonomiyaki? ;) I've eaten that so much I'm sick of it. I used to love it with Kewpie mayonnaise and okonomi sauce.
    Join Date Jan 31, 2003
    Location Virginia
    Age 37
    Posts 4,826
    United States
    My vote was for donburi. I love oyako donburi. I also love katsudon.

Other things I can't live without are tempura soba, futomaki, daifuku, nikuman, inari zushi, takoyaki, kitsune udon, etc. etc. etc. .etc.....
    Student of Japanese Stuff
    Join Date May 6, 2003
    Location Ottawa, Ontario. Canadian.
    Age 46
    Posts 29
    Okonomiyaki?
    Yes! thats it.. I can say I have not had it enough to get sick. I am told its like the Craft Dinner we have here. (macaroni and powdered cheese for those wondering). Its cheap to make.
    Join Date Aug 22, 2003
    Location Hispanic
    Age 39
    Posts 6
    Sushi for me, but I had this dish once and it was great. Sorry don't know the name but my wife had Tempura and that was good too.

Anyone go to Kamehachi in Chicago for shushi?
    Genki des ka?
    Genki des!

I use "wakarimasen" alot.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 14, 2003
    Location Kansai
    Posts 490
    Japan
    When you used to make Okonomiyaki K-N-M did you make it Hiroshima or Kansai style? But your hubby comes from neither of those places so perhaps you made an original one ;)
    I would never tell my kansai husband but I think my fav is Hiroshima hehe
    後輩
    Join Date Nov 10, 2003
    Posts 5
    TEMPURA!!!!!!!!!!!! anytime anywhere anyday
    Omnipotence personified Male
    Join Date Mar 15, 2003
    Location Seattle
    Posts 1,145
    United States
    Yudofu. Fantastic stuff.
    "It's a d**n poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."