Note that this thread was started 3399 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

View Poll Results: who likes japanese breakfast

Voters 83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it

35 42.17%
  • Hate it

1 1.20%
  • Its okay

14 16.87%
  • Never tried

33 39.76%
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

Thread: Who likes Japanese Breakfast

TAN Male
    Join Date Jan 18, 2005
    Location NIPPON/FUKUOKA
    Posts 7,430
    Japan

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

Breakfast this morning
    Rice and "KARASHI MENTAIKO" (salted cod roe with red pepper)

Fukuoka's best known omiyage (gourmet gift). The cod roe is pickled in hot paprika and let mature until it gains its mellow spicyness and the special flavor that turns on your appetite. It is now also used in combination with western foods like pasta or pizza.
    http://www.yokanavi.com/eg/data/kiho...urokuno=000311

先輩 Female
    Join Date Apr 6, 2005
    Posts 302
    Indonesia
    looks yummyyyyy .. and looks very .. spicy ..
    Join Date Oct 5, 2004
    Location Seattle
    Posts 79
    United States
    I like the rice with nama tamago (raw egg) and shoyu for breakfast, too. Sometimes l like to add diced spring onion to it as well, or as someone else mentioned, some natto (which reminds me that I need to go to the store and buy some more).

But . . . well, sometimes I can be a big eater . . . and there is this bakery across the street from where I work. So sometimes after I get to work before my boss arrives I like to run across the street and get a croissant topped with sweet, cream cheese sauce made with diced peaches. I guess, then, I really have two breakfasts somedays . . .
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Aug 2, 2003
    Posts 392
    United States
    Originally Posted by kokusu
    I like the rice with nama tamago (raw egg) and shoyu for breakfast, too.
    The very first (last?) symposium about the raw-egg-over-steamed-white-rice-for-breakfast topic held in this weekend in Shimane.
    Half-done easy, in the heat of steamed rice, drool.

Link
    Government Man Male
    Join Date Feb 13, 2005
    Location City 17
    Posts 1,308
    United States
    I would love to try a traditional Japanese breakfast, but it would all have to be cooked because raw and undercooked foods make me extremely ill.

Doc
    "Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off." -G-man
    The Geezer Male
    Join Date Feb 9, 2005
    Location Near Vancouver BC
    Posts 679
    Canada-British Columbia
    What's wrong with a cigarette and a cup of coffee?

It's always worked for me!

ジョン
    Why have an electric toothbrush ... if you don't have electric teeth?
    Um...okay Male
    Join Date Sep 27, 2004
    Location California
    Posts 180
    United States
    Ya know, between reading this thread and watching them eat breakfast on my Patlabor dvds, I've really got to try it. Well, that and I'm tired of toast and oatmeal (and omletes) so a change would be nice ;)
    "People say common sense will fix things, but sense has not always been common."
    - Chuck D
    Male
    Join Date Feb 17, 2003
    Location The Midwest
    Posts 176
    United States
    I didn't know that rice, raw egg, and shoyu combined was considered the Japanese breakfast, but I have no problems eating it. I was thinking that the traditional Japanese breakfast was mora along the lines of what Pachipro was saying with the fried fish, miso shiru, rice, and okazu to go along with it. Either one is ok with me....
    TAN Male
    Join Date Jan 18, 2005
    Location NIPPON/FUKUOKA
    Posts 7,430
    Japan
    NATTO
    More than 100 to stir NATTO
    An amino acid and taste ingredients seem to increase.
    Soy bean protein of fermented soybeans changes fat into energy
    Soy bean SAPONIN reduces neutral fat

Moreover, it is also effective to cut fine finely and to mix.
    TAN Male
    Join Date Jan 18, 2005
    Location NIPPON/FUKUOKA
    Posts 7,430
    Japan
    DAIKONOROSHI AND NAMA TAMAGO
    (Grated radish and a raw egg)
    I put a NAMA TAMAGO(raw egg) in DAIKONOROSHI(grated radish) and wear soy sauce

DAIKONOROSHI
    Grated radish helps digestion of food and has an effect on a person having weak stomach and a person of constipation in Ready intestines action of a dietary fiber.

A pungent condiment will be stopped if a fresh egg is put in, since DAIKON is somewhat hot.

Boiled rice should prepare a just made hot thing.
    It parboils for a while with the heat of boiled rice.
    To the extent that the white of an egg becomes white

相変わらず不束者です Female
    Join Date Nov 10, 2004
    Location 都下
    Posts 4,304
    Japan-Tokyo
    God, I love your posts, Nagashima-san!

@Doc
    All the posts here seem to include raw stuff, but you don't have to eat anything of this type to enjoy a traditional Japanese breakfast. There are many variations, and you can skip the raw or undercooked foods!

Eggs sunny side up with rice, miso soup, and some salted pickles are also OK!
    Male
    Join Date Mar 7, 2005
    Location Okayama, Japan
    Posts 615
    Japan-Okayama
    Originally Posted by Sensuikan San
    What's wrong with a cigarette and a cup of coffee?

It's always worked for me!

ジョン
    If it is a good cup of coffee, then it really does work! <-- thought I'd try one of these emoticons, although I've been told I simply have no sense of how to use emoticons.
    [color=navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]"The whole purpose of religion is to facilitate love and compassion, patience, tolerance, humility, forgiveness."
    --H.H. the Dalai Lama[/FONT][/SIZE][/color]
    Join Date Oct 21, 2005
    Posts 50
    Australia
    Tried miso soup once - still don't know if I liked it. Coffee and ciggy is usually my breakfast too. Sensuikansan - you wouldn't happen to be a shift-worker perchance.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date May 6, 2004
    Location NYS, US
    Posts 1,414
    United States
    Originally Posted by Hiroyuki Nagashima
    Breakfast this morning
    Rice and "KARASHI MENTAIKO" (salted cod roe with red pepper)
    That was one of my favorite things to have with rice.
    I could easily eat 2~3 bowls of rice with it.
    It's also good in a pasta sauce.
    先輩
    Join Date Dec 16, 2005
    Posts 20
    France
    It's really good, and actually a lot more diverse than you may think. just go to a onsen or ryokan, they will serve a lot of different dishes. mmm...
    =] how many am i at? Female
    Join Date Feb 22, 2006
    Location Huntsville AL
    Posts 263
    United States
    haha new to this japanese thing cant wait to try it
    Oh Gwen Stefani, what have you wrought!?
    気づいたらカッパだ Male
    Join Date Sep 17, 2005
    Location 南部
    Posts 4,845
    United States
    Ah, the irony of it all! When I still lived in the U.S., I had rice, salmon, and miso soup for breakfast. Now that I live in Japan, I often have cereal.
    -Insert signature here-
    Female
    Join Date Feb 24, 2006
    Location Sydney
    Posts 1
    Australia
    I make a smaller version of a Japanese breakfast at home when I feel like 'treating' myself. Though I admit I am very spoilt and prefer even though I live in Australia when I am staying at very exclusive Hotels that cater for Japanese clients to order it from room service. Nothing like the view of Sydney Harbour early in the morning and a Japanese breakfast beautifully presented . I think its not only good for me on occasion but make me feel like I own the world . I know I am strange.......smiles
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jun 10, 2002
    Location Osaka
    Posts 455
    Japan
    I have been in Japan for a long time now, and I still think that US breakfast can't be beat. Orange Juice, Hashbrowns, Pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs! Coffee! COFFEE! Can't beat it.

Having said that. In the WINTER. In a cold morning. Miso Soup Rice and Fish I do like as a Japanese breakfast. I'll admit that. But usually if I have such a breakfast, I eat so much that I usually don't need lunch as well!
    Angel of Life Female
    Join Date May 13, 2005
    Location Seoul, South Korea
    Posts 1,154
    South Korea
    I like grilled Salmon and rice for breakfast in Japan... with salad.
    Mmm or the big fat pieces of toast with a knob of butter yum yum!

In Korea I like Kimchi Jjigae and rice for breakfast... I have always liked hot breakfasts...

Must say after 10 months im not a big fan of oily breakfasts anymore.

Kara-Nari Smarty-Pants Wiz-Girl of the Southern Pacific Queen of Communication and International Arbitration and Diplomatic Solutions to Hairy Territorial Issues Her Majesty the Empress コクネ・ you quite rightly deserve the title for your individuality !
    Female
    Join Date Feb 26, 2006
    Location Strasbourg
    Posts 287
    France
    Petit d&eacute;jeuner? I haven’t' had breakfast for years.
    Admin Male
    Join Date Feb 5, 2005
    Location Kobe, Rokko
    Posts 7,156
    Japan-Hyogo
    Originally Posted by Kara_Nari
    I like grilled Salmon and rice for breakfast in Japan... with salad.
    Mmm or the big fat pieces of toast with a knob of butter yum yum!
    In Korea I like Kimchi Jjigae and rice for breakfast... I have always liked hot breakfasts...
    MMM you know this sounds sooo good, especialy the Grilled Salmon, Kimchi I only like when it is prepared good... Last year I bought some Kimchi in china town, that was just bleh...
    先輩 Male
    Join Date Jul 11, 2005
    Location Tampa, Florida
    Posts 61
    United States
    I just don't agree with eating raw eggs or raw meat, i also agree with Matadon about that kind of breakfast not having enough calories, i lift weights yes, but anyone would do better to eat more calories than that for breakfast because breakfast (breaking the fasting period of sleeping) is to give the body energy for the day, that meal sounds more suitable as a lunch (nutritionally). Most of the foods mentioned here are very good for any meal (nutrition and taste considered).
    Stay At Home Mom! Male
    Join Date Oct 30, 2005
    Location Tokyo
    Posts 1,108
    Japan-Tokyo
    its ok. i cant eat quite everything but ive never still been hungry after
    TokyoAds.com is a free classifieds website for individuals living in and around the Tokyo area!
    - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
    - The Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't.
    - Nothing changes if nothing changes.
    Miyavi?
    Join Date Mar 23, 2006
    Location Sydney
    Posts 25
    Australia
    Wow, some people eat so much for breakfast?
    Preparing breakfast means getting up earlier... so I don't eat breakfast, I wake up 15 minutes before I have to leave the house so I never eat in the morning

But if I do eat, I probably have toast or something simple
    ^.^ but a Japanese breakfast sounds really nice