Note that this thread was started 3434 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

View Poll Results: who likes japanese breakfast

Voters 83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it

35 42.17%
  • Hate it

1 1.20%
  • Its okay

14 16.87%
  • Never tried

33 39.76%
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:

Thread: Who likes Japanese Breakfast

先輩 Male
    Join Date Aug 2, 2003
    Posts 392
    United States

早寝早起き朝ごはん

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

Statistics show that gangsta&thugs tend to skip breakfast, MEXT concluded that they must be rehabilitated by forcing kids eat breakfast.

Just like geriactrics studies tell that people tend to die in hospitals therefore such institutions should be demolished at once in order to get better life expectancy.

Link
    iron monkey Male
    Join Date Mar 23, 2006
    Location Valenzuela
    Posts 80
    Philippines
    Rice, raw egg and soy sauce?? I haven't tried that yet. How is it prepared? Does one put egg on top of the rice then mix?

My usual breakfast is fried rice and left-overs from last nights dinner. If I feel a bit creative I'd make a special fried rice with vegetables and tuna, chicken or beef and egg mixed in.

I'm lost in my own mind...
    aka YOSUQUE Male
    Join Date Apr 23, 2007
    Location  Tokyo, Jpn
    Posts 1,035
    Japan-Tokyo
    The traditional breakfast is basically grilled fish (usually salmon), rice, miso soup, and pickled veggies. GREAT STUFF! The raw egg and natto are optional. But Tokyo is now living on Internet time so most families have a quick western style breakfast of toast and coffee (maybe fried eggs) or cereal. Healthier people have yogurt and/or granola. You can get an Egg McMuffin almost everywhere, but NO Breakfast Burrito! Tohoho.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date Aug 9, 2002
    Location florida
    Posts 21
    United States
    i never a japanese breakfast before, but the possibilities seem endless
    aka YOSUQUE Male
    Join Date Apr 23, 2007
    Location  Tokyo, Jpn
    Posts 1,035
    Japan-Tokyo

Breakfast at Denny's

Picture of traditional Japanese breakfast at Denny's, just 500 yen.

Most people, however, opt for the morning set which is a thick, thick piece of toast with jam and butter, small salad, and coffee/black tea (egg & ham, optional)

Last edited by Dogen Z; Aug 8, 2009 at 06:24.
    In imagination land Male
    Join Date Feb 2, 2007
    Location Denver
    Posts 768
    USA - Colorado
    Hmm, (traditional) Japanese breakfast foods are really not all that distinct from other Japanese foods. So I suppose I like it.
    後輩 Female
    Join Date Feb 16, 2010
    Posts 5
    Poland
    I'd be scared of salmonella. But green tea is great, I must drink about 4 cups a day.
    True. Raw egg is intimidating but I love green tea!
    後輩 Female
    Join Date Jul 6, 2010
    Posts 2
    USA - California
    Yes! I love having a large breakfast as I wake up absolutely starving in the morning. Rice, egg, miso soup, pickles, seaweed, and/or fish sounds very yummy for breakfast. I usually just have oatmeal though because it's so cheap. Sometimes I have natto rice and a smoothie. Sometimes I have miso soup with an egg poached in it and rice. I always have green tea. Hot gen-maicha in the winter, iced green tea in the summer with some sort of fruit flavor added.
    Happy Male
    Join Date Jul 19, 2004
    Location Wuhan
    Posts 321
    China
    I'd like to see the picture of every item of them~
    継続は力なり Male
    Join Date Apr 30, 2007
    Location 千葉県
    Posts 1,125
    Japan-Chiba
    Going from what my students say..

Kids: pan (plain, white, styrofoam-like bread)
    Young men: onigiri and black coffee, or often nothing at all
    Girls: yogurt drink

I like the Japanese breakfast but I prefer my own Western breakfast of oatmeal fruit and fried eggs. If I had a Japanese wife who made me a Japanese breakfast though, I would not complain!
    Male
    Join Date May 13, 2007
    Posts 21
    UK - England
    I must admit, I have never had the "Japanese Breakfast" as described here, though I am certainly interested in trying it! I am in the same boat as sl0thmachin3 though, how exactly is it prepared? It it really as simple as just breaking the egg and pouring the insides on top of some cold rice, and eating?
    Sailing away... Male
    Join Date Aug 3, 2007
    Location NW Wisconsin
    Posts 413
    United States
    I've had the traditional style Japanese breakfast when I stayed with my wife at a traditional style hotel. It was ok, but not really my thing. I don't mind having miso soup in the morning though. I don't usually care for the miso soup made in restaurants as it tends to be a bit salty but the one my wife makes is really delicious!
    --------------
    - Petaris

"The World is Open. Are You?"
    Hell's Finest Daughter Female
    Join Date Jul 15, 2004
    Location Naraka
    Posts 1,702
    USA - Illinois
    I like the idea of onigiri and black coffee for breakfast.
    In the tower above the earth, There is a view that reaches far. Where we see the universe, I see the fire, I see the end.
    -Sufjan Stevens
    後輩 Female
    Join Date May 22, 2011
    Location Ibaraki city
    Posts 6
    Japan-Osaka

Lightbulb

I am Japanese and I know the Japanese breakfast.
    But I eat bread for breakfast.
    I like the Japanese breakfast, but I don't have enough time to prepare it in the morning.
    My mother may think so too, so I have eaten bread for breakfast since I was a little child.

And we can eat miso soup or rice with a raw egg or something which is likely to be in the Japanese breakfast not only in the morning.
    先輩 Female
    Join Date Jul 6, 2011
    Location Queensland
    Posts 30
    Australia
    The meal of every morning
    Boiled rice, miso soup, the dried seaweed, a fresh egg, takuan(pickled Japanese radish), tukemono(pickles), green tea
    Yum! I could eat that! I LOOOOVE green tea. Natto looks really tasty! Anyone know where you can get it in Australia? Oh man, natto, rice and an egg, I could really go for that right now!
    Banned Male
    Join Date Oct 12, 2011
    Location California
    Posts 6
    USA - California
    Basically I do not eat breakfast because I do not like to eat early in the morning. I once tried Japanese breakfast but I did not like it. so I am not sure if I did not like it because it was Japanese or just because I do not like breakfast in general.
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page: