What's new

Monbukagakusho Scholarship for Undergraduate!!

shazre3000

後輩
4 Apr 2006
Hi.

I'm a new member in this forum and I found out that this forum is really usefull for me.

I'm from Malaysia and I happen's to apply for the monbusho undergraduate scholarship.

The thing is, I really have no idea about the past interviews' or the exam's and I really hope that someone or anyone could share some idea's or any relevant info about the scholarship.

The scholarship deadline was on the 31st March and the shortlisted applicant is yet to be revealed.

So, again, I really really and really hope someone can help me on the scholarship.

Thank you.🙂

i'm pretty much sure that interview will be in english, unless you are fluent in japanese :? i'm also planing to apply this scholarship (but for research students) this year :)
about interview, i'm not sure, but i hope it wont be extremely difficult. they will probably want to know more about you, why do you want to get this scholarship, why you want to go to japan, etc...
at least, this kind of questions i got last year when i applied for another thing to go to japan - study trip for ''outstanding students''.. what i got :)
and, in couple of days i will have examples of last year tests of english and japanese, i will send it to you :)
also, i thing you could have tests to show your knowledge depends on you study field...

i hope this was helpful 🙂

Alma said:
i'm pretty much sure that interview will be in english, unless you are fluent in japanese :? i'm also planing to apply this scholarship (but for research students) this year :)
about interview, i'm not sure, but i hope it wont be extremely difficult. they will probably want to know more about you, why do you want to get this scholarship, why you want to go to japan, etc...
at least, this kind of questions i got last year when i applied for another thing to go to japan - study trip for ''outstanding students''.. what i got :)
and, in couple of days i will have examples of last year tests of english and japanese, i will send it to you :)
also, i thing you could have tests to show your knowledge depends on you study field...
i hope this was helpful 🙂

thanx a lot Alma😌

p/s:what r u doing now? still studying?

yes, i'm still studying... i have a bunch of exams to do, but i hope to finish everything till september this year, and my final work in january next year, so i could got to japan in april next week... that would be my dream-come-true.. if i only stop spending so much time on net 😊 and start studying...
wish u all the best, if you have more questions, ask, and please keep me updated about your interview and all.. maybe it could be helpful for me too 🙂

It's already mid April and nothing new's abt the schol.:(

I've already call the embassy and they said that they will send the result's around this week(by post)

oh please let me secure it:unsure: :unsure:

hey...shazre3000..i'm from malaysia too.i've been wondering bout the same thing,except that i don't know where to get the applicants or who is qualified to apply or anything of some sort..i'm a upper 6 student by the way...hope that you can help...thx

Alma said:
any news, shazre3000?
:unsure: :?

guess what? i got the examination offer but why do i have to be sick at that day!!!!:( :( :(

i didn't went for the test b'coz i was admitted for a week in a hospital due to dengue fever!!!!

i was totally upset, felt like committing suicide(thank god i'm still alive)

so i guess that's it for me...i might cosider applying for next year though.

nashyde said:
hey...shazre3000..i'm from malaysia too.i've been wondering bout the same thing,except that i don't know where to get the applicants or who is qualified to apply or anything of some sort..i'm a upper 6 student by the way...hope that you can help...thx
the form can be download here:
在マレーシア日本国大使館日本語トップページ
i'm only 18(just finished my SPM) and i guess next year might be the best for me coz the test syllabus is equivalent to STPM/A-LEVEL so u might have the advantage.hope thats help!☝

i'm totally gonna be prepared next year so Alma, if u have any news(Q's and whatnot), pretty please help me post it?:p

so does this scholarship determine where you will be studying, or can foreigners who have already been accepted to study in Japan also apply?

shazre3000 said:
i'm totally gonna be prepared next year so Alma, if u have any news(Q's and whatnot), pretty please help me post it?:p

so sorry you didn't make it this year, but who knows.. maybe it is better this way. i will have language tests in a month, and later, if i pass it, an interview, so, I'll post about it here :)

nice gaijin said:
so does this scholarship determine where you will be studying, or can foreigners who have already been accepted to study in Japan also apply?

I'm not sure i understand..? you are already in japan, but now want scholarship? i think that is not possible.

nice gaijin said:
There are many different types of Monbusho scholarships, as well as different ways to get one. I first studied at Hokkaido University as a Nikken-sei (one of the Monbusho-supported programs), but I was selected by my home university for that. If you've already been accepted by a Japanese university, you'd have to try for the third of the following:
1. Recommended by a Japanese embassy or consulate general (Embassy Recommendation).
2. Recommended by the Japanese university which will accept you (University Recommendation).
3. Selected by the Japanese university in which you are currently enrolled if you are a privately-financed student already studying in Japan (Domestic Selection).
If you -haven't- been accepted to a Japanese university yet, but currently reside in Japan, you -can- do either 1 or 2 (in actuality). You probably have to state that your current term of residence is temporary, and they will likely want to fly you from the international airport nearest your "home."
If you haven't yet been accepted, you should find a professor willing to accept you at the university in question and ask him or her about a Monbusho scholarship. It's also possible to apply at a Japanese embassy (outside Japan), but then you don't choose the university you'll go to (I was told anyways).
If you have already been accepted, you'll need to be privately financed for the first year at least. After that, given good performance, you can apply for a scholarship for the remaining portion.
Monbusho scholarships are excellent - I highly recommend applying if you're eligible. In the universities I've been at here, most foreign students know this already. 😊

A quick search on Google should find the detailed conditions and such (in at least English and Japanese). Here is a short version.

cheers
-skip

hmm, I'm already accepted at a private university for a single academic year, does that affect my eligibility? From that link you sent me I seem to fall under category 3 or 4, probably with the university recommendation, if I could get one. The other main question is, am I still eligible for a program starting this fall.

From what I read on the application form you are no longer eligible for the scholarship if you have already accepted an offer for a Japanese University.

nice gaijin said:
hmm, I'm already accepted at a private university for a single academic year, does that affect my eligibility? From that link you sent me I seem to fall under category 3 or 4, probably with the university recommendation, if I could get one. The other main question is, am I still eligible for a program starting this fall.
Sorry, you're not eligible for the scholarships linked. Most of these (except Nikken, aka "Japanese studies") are not for exchange students. They're for normal foreign students enrolled directly in Japanese universities (or technical colleges, etc). #3 is for foreign students enrolled directly in an undergraduate program in Japan, not exchange students. #4 is for "Nikken-sei," a specific program that one must directly apply for. In any case, the deadlines for next fall are past.
There is a related AIEJ-sponsored "Short term Student Exchange Program" (here), but I don't know much about it. If you were to transfer to a Japanese university, you would become eligible (depending on performance) after your first year for category 3, selection method 3.
cheers
-skip

skip said:
There are many different types of Monbusho scholarships, as well as different ways to get one. I first studied at Hokkaido University as a Nikken-sei (one of the Monbusho-supported programs), but I was selected by my home university for that. If you've already been accepted by a Japanese university, you'd have to try for the third of the following:
1. Recommended by a Japanese embassy or consulate general (Embassy Recommendation).
2. Recommended by the Japanese university which will accept you (University Recommendation).
3. Selected by the Japanese university in which you are currently enrolled if you are a privately-financed student already studying in Japan (Domestic Selection).
If you -haven't- been accepted to a Japanese university yet, but currently reside in Japan, you -can- do either 1 or 2 (in actuality). You probably have to state that your current term of residence is temporary, and they will likely want to fly you from the international airport nearest your "home."
If you haven't yet been accepted, you should find a professor willing to accept you at the university in question and ask him or her about a Monbusho scholarship. It's also possible to apply at a Japanese embassy (outside Japan), but then you don't choose the university you'll go to (I was told anyways).
If you have already been accepted, you'll need to be privately financed for the first year at least. After that, given good performance, you can apply for a scholarship for the remaining portion.
Monbusho scholarships are excellent - I highly recommend applying if you're eligible. In the universities I've been at here, most foreign students know this already. 😊
A quick search on Google should find the detailed conditions and such (in at least English and Japanese). Here is a short version.
cheers
-skip

whoa!

thanks for the info man!:)

Monbukagakusho Math(A) exam question

Hey everyone, I have an EXTREMELY important question, and it's driving me mad. As I'm sure many of you know, the 2007 exams are available on the studyjapan website, to check out and download/print to practice on. My question relates to the ~Math(A)~ Exam.
Question 1 of the math exams states this:
The solution of the inequality 2x^2 - 3x -2 [is less than or equal to] 0 is:
____ [is less than or equal to] "X" [which is less than or equal to] _______
Okay, so my question comes in here. According to the answer key, the answer should be this:
1/2 [is less than or equal to] "X" [which is less than or equal to] 2.
However, no matter what I do, I cannot get this under any circumstances. This is a straightforward, fairly easy inequality. Why then am I getting NEGATIVE 1/2 <= X <= 2?
Solving it by factoring gives me this as solutions:
2x^2-3x-2=0
(2x+1)(x-2)=0.
(2x+1)=0 ; (x-2)=0
2x=-1 ; x=2
x=-1/2
So, x=-1/2, and x=2.
Solving by the quadratic equation gives me this as a solution:
x= -b [pus or minus] sqr(b^2 - 4ac)
all over 2a.
x= 3 [plus or minus] sqr(9 - 4*2*-2)
all over 2*2
x= 3 [plus or minus] sqr(25)
all over 4.
x= 3 [plus or minus] 5
all over 4
x=3+5 ; x=3-5
over 4 ; over 4
x=8/4 ; x=-2/4
-----> { x=2 ; x=-1/2 } <-----
So, as you can see, both of those ways work out to solve for x as -1/2 and 2. not 1/2 and 2, but [negative!] 1/2 and 2.
I even took out my calculator to triple check this equation, and on the graph that came up (used a TI-83) The points where the parabola crossed the x-axis were at NEGATIVE 1/2 and 2.
So, To quadrouple check, I went in to my calculus teacher, and asked her what she got as a solution. My CALCULUS teacher also got NEGATIVE 1/2 and 2 as solutions, and drew a number line to check it as well. No matter what I do, I am not getting the POSITIVE 1/2 and 2 that they are. Maybe it was a mistype on the answer key, I can't think of much else it could be.
PLEASE WRITE BACK, MAYBE GIVE ME SOME INSPIRATION BY TELLING ME THERE WAS SOMETHING ALL OF US MISSED THAT THE MATH(A) EXAM WANTED US TO FIND!!!

hi all.
are there any materials and books specialized for Monbukagakusho examination in share way? if yes please direct me.

:) hey, people :)) I have a strange, but still very important question for me :) I passed the ryugaku shiken this year (monbukagasho exam) for undergraduates and went to the interview and now I am waiting for the universities to accept or (hope not) reject me. Still, i passed the exam with very poor score, but only 5 people from total of around 40-50 from Bulgaria (my county) managed to pass it. So, I would like to ask anyone who passed it this year to tell me approximately their score, so that I can at least try to guess if i have any chances...stupid, but pleeeeasee :))) So, take care everybody :)

i'm applying for the scholarship....>< But i'm really worried. I really want to go like big named university...like Keio or waseda..
Does anyone if you should apply to public or private university for a bigger chance of entering?

I'm confused...

Back
Top Bottom