What's new

Why Japanese people hate foreigners so much...

I would have strong misgivings about making a generalization this big - 130 million people ALL being xenophobes? Unlikely to say the least! At any rate, of those who may actually "hate foreigners", I'd suspect that they'd had some really negative experiences with foreigners at some point.

Which could lead to anyone of any cultural background to "hate" others not of their race...

They don't, Sophisticated (?).

I have a better question...
Why do all people who make generalizations hate chocolate cake?

i'm pretty sure you mean china. because they are poor and yet their population is so big that they don't want foreigners moving in on them. But then i notice you have a japanese flag next to your name, so either you are japanese, or you are a foreigner there. Explain to me why and how you formed this idea.

i hate chocolate cake because they don't serve it on an airplane but i'm not taking chicken or fish so i rather have no rule than cruel rule.

Why do all people who make generalizations hate chocolate cake?

Pure genius. I think it has to do with them having webbed toes. :)

Before this thread dies, I'd just like to relate how I ended up hating foreigners when I was there as well. It was like they reflected my own jackassery and it made me sick to my stomach. All the crap I did in the first few weeks (having Japanese people curse in English, yell random rude Japanese phrases, try to nanpa in English) that seemed funny at first turned completely stupid at some point. It was odd being a self-hating gaijin, but I suppose the longer I stayed, the worse it would have gotten.

I knew a guy with webbed toes, MeAndroo, so I don't think that little crack is funny at all! My buddy only had them on his right foot and could only swim in counter-clockwise circles.

To be serious, though, if my experience is any guide, you might find that the longer you stay the less you find yourself in situations to encounter other foreigners anyway.

Heh, this reminds me of something that a guy I knew at school told me that he had said before he realized the irony in it: "All generalizations are inherently false." I got a good laugh out of it. If you want to get a mental picture of the guy, he looks a lot like Johnny Damon of the Boston Red Sox. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :D

I'm glad people aren't taking this thread too seriously. What can you say to a silly question like this? Trying to have a rational discussion based on such an irrational question is just pointless.

don't those black vans that cruise around making one hell of a noise want all foreigners to leave? i've heard that's one of the crazy things they want. i don't understand how these vans and the nutcases driving them are tolerated. if that sort of thing happened in australia i'd start throwing rocks at them.

Well... maybe cause the crimes committed by foriegners has increased in Japan and sadly, that's all many Japanese have to base their opionions of foriegners? And American soldiers commit crimes in Japan as well but Japan has to get America's permission to arrest the soldier or something like that... often times, America declines Japan's request to arrest American soldiers and they get sent home without ever paying for the crime.... yeah. Maybe that's why Japanese don't tend to like foriegners....

Hmm.Just a couple thoughts:
When I went to Japan last summer, to work in a Japanese company, I actually expected to be treated as a "second class citizen" or something-also because of so many topics Ive read from JREF. I had accustomed to the thought that I would be in the lowest grade there.I mean of course. Im a foreigner, just a student,and a girl who is sticking her nose into a Japanese company.I would have understood if I was treated with ignorance, contemn etc.

But I was amazed, and I still am. I have never ever been treated so well, during the whole summer (both in my work and also on my freetime), than in Japan. No one has ever been so friendly and warm to me, and so interested and curious about me and my country. Even total strangers came to help me so many times, always smiling,and trying to help even in situations when we didnt share a language. (my Japanese is quite poor)
Of course there are some exceptions, but I think in those cases its mainly about beeing shy, and a little scared of something new.
But even now, when Ive been back to my own country for over 1 month, I get surprise presents from Japan..
So, I simply can't understand this topic, not at all- even if it was posted with sarcasm. I can only praise Japanese people, the rest of the world has _so much_ to learn from them.

My love goes to Japan <3

december said:
Well... maybe cause the crimes committed by foriegners has increased in Japan and sadly, that's all many Japanese have to base their opionions of foriegners? And American soldiers commit crimes in Japan as well but Japan has to get America's permission to arrest the soldier or something like that... often times, America declines Japan's request to arrest American soldiers and they get sent home without ever paying for the crime.... yeah. Maybe that's why Japanese don't tend to like foriegners....

There is a thing called the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement), which determines in what sort of situations which country will have primary jurisdiction to prosecute crimes. Japanese police can and do arrest American servicemen when they are off base. In these cases, it is the Japanese who can and do decline America's request to turn the serviceman over to the military for prosecution under the UCMJ. In cases where the serviceman has returned to base before an arrest can be effected, then the prosecutor must request that the serviceman me turned over to Japanese custody. If you know of specific cases where such requests have been refused, I wish you would share them with us.

Sophisticated said:
I am just wondering why Japanese hate foreigners?
????? :confused:
What makes you think so? Generally there is a favor for foreigners - do you really think they "hate" you?
I assume you feel excluded and rejected(?), is that so? But that doesn't mean they hate you. The feeling of being lonely or not integrated happens to a lot of people when travelling for a longer time for the first time, especially when in countries where they don't understand the language and therefore can't socialize easily. And even worse if one can't read as well!

Is it similar in your case? Give us some details so that we can better understand your personal situation. Just throwing out a statement like the above is a bit shortsighted methinks.

I know some guys who didn't have a very good time in Japan, but I'm not surprised at all. The way they behave sometimes might have reflected back on them much stronger in Japan than at home. And they sure did things they'd never dare to do at home! Just wanted to point this out. Most people I know had a great time, and it seems that sensitive people rarely encountered trouble.

I don't know you, and I don't want to assume you're of the same kind as the guys mentioned above. Please explain your situation. If I can give you an advice, think about yourself and how your actions might affect people around you. What could they possibly think about you? Is it only the others' fault? Or is what you see a mere reflection? Of course there's always the possibility that you really are surrounded by jerks - but that wouldn't automatically apply to the other 128 Million(!) Japanese. Ask other foreigners, did/do they experience the same? How do they behave? Showing tolerance and respect towards others is in high esteem. Some are shy, some ignore you and some don't understand you like you don't understand them. That's nothing unusual in a FOREIGN country with different customs and culture. Atmosphere is very important! They surely can sense your anger and it makes them feel uncomfortable. Think again and hopefully your anger will calm down...

Oh and Chipi, you're so cute!
You sound similar to my girlie friends who became mad for Japan after visiting! All they want now is to go back asap! 😄

mikecash said:
There is a thing called the SOFA (Status Of Forces Agreement), which determines in what sort of situations which country will have primary jurisdiction to prosecute crimes. Japanese police can and do arrest American servicemen when they are off base. In these cases, it is the Japanese who can and do decline America's request to turn the serviceman over to the military for prosecution under the UCMJ. In cases where the serviceman has returned to base before an arrest can be effected, then the prosecutor must request that the serviceman me turned over to Japanese custody. If you know of specific cases where such requests have been refused, I wish you would share them with us.

Nope, I don't know of any specific cases. I was just going by what a Japanese penpal told me. He was saying how many Japanese people don't have any experience with foriegners and that many Japanese people will base their opinion off things like that. He said it doesn't matter if the America gives permission to arrest American soldier - it's the fact that an American came to Japan and committed the crime. And he said that Japan has a show similiar to Cops. It shows the police going after 'evil foriegners who commit crimes in Japan.' That doesn't help the image too much... :eek:

But personally, I don't know. I'm just going by what he says...

So you don't know, yet you feel perfectly comfortable saying

often times, America declines Japan's request to arrest American soldiers and they get sent home without ever paying for the crime

Hearsay based on uninformed popular misconceptions with no demonstrable basis in fact is not the sort of thing I care to base my opinions on, much less the sort of thing I care to spread around. But I'm quirky that way. Call it a character flaw.

I have to strongly support Chipi's opinion! I had the same experience in Japan! And because of that I deeply love Japan and it's people!

mikecash said:
So you don't know, yet you feel perfectly comfortable saying

Hearsay based on uninformed popular misconceptions with no demonstrable basis in fact is not the sort of thing I care to base my opinions on, much less the sort of thing I care to spread around. But I'm quirky that way. Call it a character flaw.

Well, maybe one day, I will take the time out to research it. But for now, I'll just believe the Japanese guy who told me about this.

That's fine. But in the future when sharing with others it might be well to phrase things so that one can tell the difference between unsubstantiated hearsay and categorical statements of fact. That way people know what they're getting.

Otherwise, you end up with somebody reading it here, then telling somebody else, who tells somebody else, who tells somebody else.....and the misinformation just spreads and spreads. There's already too much of that when it comes to Japan.

I been to Japan as a tourist 3 times. I'm always amazed at how well I have been treated. My feelings or similar to Chipi's. I wish I could live there! I have been lost and confused many times at train stations and bus stops (because I don't speak or read Japanese) and have always received help from someone with out having to ask. I guess just looking like a lost and confused gaijin just makes them want to help. I have only had one person treat with undeserved disrespect in all the time I've spent in Japan. I get that everyday in my country!!! :) But don't get me wrong, I love my country, but Japan is a close second.

tourist != resident

The difference is that between daylight and dark.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visits, and I'm not trying to take anything away from them. But the difference between coming to Japan for a short visit and coming to live for years-n-years-n-years-n-years-n-years-til-your-hair-turns-gray is the difference between dating a pretty girl and being married to her. Marriage is not just an extension of a pleasant date, and residing in Japan is not just an extension of a pleasant tourist experience. They're two entirely different animals.

My cousins from Yamaguchi visited California about ten years ago. I don't speak Japanese, and they speak little English. They seemed to love Americans, and everything American-- but shared the following misgivings: Americans smell like butter. We're too busy. We hurry through things that we should have patience with. We are not very polite (which wasn't the word they used- civilized maybe?) They seemed to like that we were kinda loud, expressive and open with enthusiasm. They also didn't like the fact that people wouldn't always explain things and often said the same thing over, but only louder. They liked the touristy stuff, a Dodger game and Seattle's Pike's market. They visited some California factories and businesses-- which they liked.

They were always polite and very well mannered.

Back
Top Bottom