What's new

Birthday messages in Japanese?

Daiten

先輩
6 Nov 2005
I am making a birthday card in Japanese for my friend and doing it in Shodo (Japanese calligraphy)...and I want to know how to write something like: "May your days be filled with happiness" and "Best wishes on your birthday"..Her birthday is tomorrow and yeah. So if its ok, please do translate these sentences in Japanese for me. Unfortunately, my browser cannot read Japanese right now since I just rebooted my computer and I am too lazy to download the Japanese font again (since I have to restart the computer and such) So if there is anyway like writing in Paint program and putting the image on here, please do so. Please also write it in Japanese with Kanji (if there are any in the sentence) and romaji as well. Arigato gozaimasu!!!

Happy birthday is Happi- Ba-sudei. Or you can go with O tanjoubi ni omedetou, although that seems a little too formal. Sorry, my PC doesn't support kanji either (I am staying in a hotel in the USA.)

Daiten said:
I am making a birthday card in Japanese for my friend and doing it in Shodo (Japanese calligraphy)...and I want to know how to write something like: "May your days be filled with happiness" and "Best wishes on your birthday"..Her birthday is tomorrow and yeah. So if its ok, please do translate these sentences in Japanese for me. Unfortunately, my browser cannot read Japanese right now since I just rebooted my computer and I am too lazy to download the Japanese font again (since I have to restart the computer and such) So if there is anyway like writing in Paint program and putting the image on here, please do so. Please also write it in Japanese with Kanji (if there are any in the sentence) and romaji as well. Arigato gozaimasu!!!
The standard greeting besides happy birthday itself, お誕生日おめでとうございます。which I don't necessarily consider too formal is something like "May this year be another good/wonderful one" (Name of the person にとって良い・素晴らしい年でありますよに)。誕生日が素晴らしい日となりますように、祈っています。 (I pray your birthday is a wonderful day) 素晴らしい誕生日を迎えられますように。 (Have a wonderful birthday) are also OK, though. They all convey the basic message to have a good or wonderful day or year which implies happiness and best wishes, etc. in the Western way of thinking.

Here's some of the stuff Elizabeth suggested, in picture form, since you can't see Japanese fonts yet.

Daiten said:

So you're too damned lazy to reboot your computer, but you expect total strangers to not only do a free translation job for you but to also go the extra mile to cover the gap left by your laziness?

It's not every girl lucky enough to snag a guy like you.

So you're too damned lazy to reboot your computer, but you expect total strangers to not only do a free translation job for you but to also go the extra mile to cover the gap left by your laziness?
It's not every girl lucky enough to snag a guy like you.
Ummm...ok that rude remark was uncalled for. Besides, my friends birthday was the very next day so i did not have time to do anything. Take care

Ummm...ok that rude remark was uncalled for. Besides, my friends birthday was the very next day so i did not have time to do anything. Take care
You'll probably not read this, but in the future, when you are asking people to do things for you, it's probably not a good idea to let them know what they're doing is primarily a result of you being "too lazy" to do something as simple as turn on Japanese font display in your browser or application.

For example, I think Elizabeth, who contributes a great deal to these forums probably missed that in your post--- her post is useful to everyone else on this forum who's browser can interpret Japanese encoding, but not to you, the person who asked the question, and soley because you were in your own words, too lazy.

Someone else, was kind enough to take a snapshot, upload it to a server somewhere, and host that image, solely because again, you were too lazy.

Perhaps the better thing for you to have done would have been to thank the people who helped you; instead you chose to rail against the one person who called you out on this.

Back
Top Bottom