Note that this thread was started 2206 days ago and might not be up-to-date anymore. Please consider creating a new thread before posting.

Thread: Common Kanji

Hiragana & Katakana user Male
    Join Date Aug 14, 2008
    Location San Antonio, Texas
    Posts 9
    United States

Question Common Kanji

国際交流パーティー
    Tokyo International Party

Can anyone perhaps direct me to a link of some commonly used Kanji, or just important Kanji to remember?
    Male
    Join Date Jan 6, 2007
    Location Indiana
    Posts 308
    United States
    In your textbook, perhaps?
    Homepage: [url]http://www.sengokudaimyo.com[/url]
    変わってる Male
    Join Date Jun 23, 2008
    Location Issaquah, WA
    Posts 582
    United States
    Easier kanji = more commonly used. Just look at the kanji for the JLPT 4-kyuu or something.
    スパ外国人 Male
    Join Date Dec 25, 2007
    Posts 122
    UK - Scotland
    Use a textbook, e.g. Genki or learn the Kanji for the JLPT4 -> http://www.spurrymoses.com/jlpt/4/

魚紙
    行間の意味を読む
    一切皆苦 Male
    Join Date Jan 8, 2004
    Location ATL
    Posts 7,682
    United States
    Easier kanji = more commonly used. Just look at the kanji for the JLPT 4-kyuu or something.
    Define "easier." Is 曜 easier than 舌? Is 雑 easier than 廿? Is 誌 easier than 屯? If you mean "easier because you see them all the time and as a result your memory is reinforced much more frequently and without the necessity of artificial means," I agree. If you're using another definition, I'm interested in knowing what it is (I know there are others, which is why I'm asking).

Incidentally, I like the Heisig method outlined in Remembering the Kanji I. I used it, and it boosted my comprehension of kanji from ~400 to over 1600 in a much shorter time than it took me to get to the ~400. The remaining 400 or so took a while because I found myself lacking in imagination after a while, but I'm definitely a fan of the method.
    Avoid Mojibake! -- 文字化けを避ける!
    Jim Breen's online dictionary and kanji lookup
    Dictionary at Goo -- English-Japanese, Japanese-English, Japanese Language
    Weblio -- Multiple Japanese dictionary and encyclopedia simultaneous lookup
    Lang-8 -- Have native speakers correct your writing!
    後輩 Male
    Join Date May 9, 2008
    Posts 12
    United States
    There are lists of JLPT Level 4 kanji online, as well as grade-by-grade level for elementary school students in Japan. Those might be good to start with.