What's new

Differences in food/medicine items

ResonX

Registered
20 Oct 2008
What is the difference between 'tamago' and 'eggu'? Both seem like a fine translation for 'egg'....

Also I have found 2 words for milk: miruku and gyuunyuu. Which one is correct (for cow's milk). I think gyuunyuu literally translates to cow's milk, but would using miruku be okay in most situations? When would use one and not use the other?

Also for mouthwash, should I use mausuuosshu or ugaigusuri? Would it be good to learn both words?

By the way, is there a website that deals with these differences in Japanese words, so I don't have to keep asking the forum?

Thanks!

What is the difference between 'tamago' and 'eggu'? Both seem like a fine translation for 'egg'....
Also I have found 2 words for milk: miruku and gyuunyuu. Which one is correct (for cow's milk). I think gyuunyuu literally translates to cow's milk, but would using miruku be okay in most situations? When would use one and not use the other?
Also for mouthwash, should I use mausuuosshu or ugaigusuri? Would it be good to learn both words?
By the way, is there a website that deals with these differences in Japanese words, so I don't have to keep asking the forum?
AThanks!

In general, loanwords from a foreign language express concepts used under specific circumstances. Both eggu and miruku have much narrower semantic fields than those of the Japanese native equivalents.

Eggu is probably used for names of western style foods. You might find eggu sarada "egg salad" and sukuraunburu eggu "scrambled egg" but no eggu in oyakodon.

Gyuunyuu refers to milk in general, whereas miruku is usually used to refer to milk for coffee or tea.

A good rule of thumb is to remind yourself that loandwords refer to something specific, most often different from what the original words mean.

Back
Top Bottom