What's new

too many negatives

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

Umm, I have 2 questions this time.

1) 窶堋ィ窶楼窶堙最?m窶堋ゥ窶堙俄?堙遺?堋ゥ窶堙遺?堋ゥ窶堙姑致ニ椎陳ーニ停?楪ーニ鱈ニ槌槌停?ー窶堋セツ。窶堋サ窶堙ェ窶堙坂?戳窶堙溪?堙??堙「窶堙ァ窶堙ア窶ケC窶堋ェ窶堙遺?堋「窶堙??堙?窶堙遺?堋「ツ!ツ!

The negatives in the second sentence are giving me a headache. So 窶ケC窶堋ェ窶堙遺?堋「窶堙??堙?窶堙遺?堋「 would translate as "not entirely reluctant to...", and 窶堋サ窶堙ェ窶堙坂?戳窶堙溪?堙??堙「窶堙ァ窶堙ア should be "I won't recognize that". Then it becomes "I'm not entirely reluctant to not recognize that" >>> "I'm mostly reluctant to recognize that".

I'm thinking "I hate to admit it!" is a pretty good translation. Is this ok?

The given is translation is "There's no denying it!" which is completely different.

2)ニ短ニ椎?ニ稚窶堙ー窶冕窶堙固陳セ窶杯窶堙俄?堙??堋ォ窶堙??堙?ツ・ツ・ツ・
ツ行窶慊ョ窶罵ナスツョ窶堙債 ツ鞘?披?堙娯?堙懌?堙慊 窶「テ鞘?堋ヲ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙遺?堋「ツ!ツ!

My translation for the second part is "When it comes to the style of her actions, she cannot change her woman condition"

Again, the given translation is different so I'm not sure...

1)
やらん is not negative there. ん is a classical auxiliary verb to express the speaker's will(= む). Thus, he is saying 認めてやる気がないでもない, i.e., 認めてやる.

2)
Your translation is correct.

How do you know if やらん is a negative or not? In that structure is it not possible for it to be negative, or is it based off the context? I too at first glance thought it was negative

In that structure is it not possible for it to be negative
Yes. ~てやらない気がない can't be used. As for the general difference between negative and volitional, やらぬ is sometimes used for nagative to avoid being misinterpreted.

Thanks. It's actually the first time I've heard of this...I wonder how many times I actually encountered it and translated it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom