What's new

Nice to meet ya! I make eng subs for japanese videos.

JAPENGSubs

後輩
20 Aug 2014
Hello!

I don`t know if it`s ok to "advertise" myself here, but I started a channel for japanese videos with sub.
My videos focuses on programs that shows more about the culture inside Japan.
Traveling cities, weird stuff, interesting tidbits, j dramas, etc.
If you`re interested, pls check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not sure, then why don't you take the time to contact an admin first?

You`re right, didn`t think about that.
I`m not familiar with this site, so that`s why I said that.

So I`ll ask now,
Can I post my non profit channel here in this community forum?

You`re right, didn`t think about that.
I`m not familiar with this site, so that`s why I said that.

So I`ll ask now,
Can I post my non profit channel here in this community forum?

Are these authorized subs? Or are we talking pirated material here?

Are these authorized subs? Or are we talking pirated material here?

No, but I don`t profit from the videos. Instead, my videos are aimed for educational purposes, showing the culture of Japan and places to visit and go.
I wouldn`t go as far as to say they`re pirated material, because I do subs for japanese TV shows that are less known and that have no DVD sales. So, in a way, I`m promoting them by showing the world their videos.
The only exception would be the drama Legal High by Fuji TV. I uploaded their 1st chapter on Youtube, a copyright notice came to me and I claimed it back. In the end, they removed the copyright notice, so I believe they authorised me to publish their videos. Also, this drama has been subbed by other fansub and the entire drama has been available on the internet since years ago.

So it's all pirated material, then. Thanks.

(Profit/non-profit, your intent, nor any of the other factors you mentioned change that).

So it's all pirated material, then. Thanks.

(Profit/non-profit, your intent, nor any of the other factors you mentioned change that).

We live in such a strict world, don`t we...?

Are you one of the admins of this forum? The other one didn`t reply me.
So can I take your word for it as an answer of "no, you cannot post here." ?

We live in such a strict world, don`t we...?

Are you one of the admins of this forum? The other one didn`t reply me.
So can I take your word for it as an answer of "no, you cannot post here." ?

I'm not an admin; I'm just the proverbial fly in the ointment.

The problem for the admins is that knowingly linking to (or allowing linking to) your pirated material is or could potentially be adjudged as "publishing" the material and opening the site up to legal and financial headaches, the risks of which are not offset by any benefit whatsoever to the site. You're essentially asking then to be conspirators and accessories to your crime. So refusing to allow links shouldn't automatically be construed as a personal judgment on what you're doing, but rather as a choice not to open the site to potential litigation. Just simple risk avoidance is all it is.

@OP Nope, your subs are not authorized by the authorities behind whatever you are subbing, so it's pirated. You can go find some other forums, but here in this site, we don't condone illegal activity of any scale, to avoid the site being dished out by the authorities.

However, if you sub something and then distribute only the subtitle file, then somebody could perhaps get a legal copy of whatever you subbed and somehow "install" or use the subs. I don't think that would be an easy feat, putting a subtitle file into a legal copy of a media product. And trying to rip something from the CD and then playing it on the computer with subs is illegal as well, I believe.

I'm not an admin; I'm just the proverbial fly in the ointment.

The problem for the admins is that knowingly linking to (or allowing linking to) your pirated material is or could potentially be adjudged as "publishing" the material and opening the site up to legal and financial headaches, the risks of which are not offset by any benefit whatsoever to the site. You're essentially asking then to be conspirators and accessories to your crime. So refusing to allow links shouldn't automatically be construed as a personal judgment on what you're doing, but rather as a choice not to open the site to potential litigation. Just simple risk avoidance is all it is.

Ok, fair enough.
You`re not an admin, but your reason is convincing.
Thanks for taking yout time to answer me. Honestly you should be the admin here, the other one just ignored me.
I`ll be deleting this post hours later today.
Again, thx for your time.

No, SuSu, that would also be illegal. Learn about "derived works" (such as translations) and copyright law.

In short, the translator of a copyrighted work can hold copyright to his translation, but is restricted from publishing it (making available to the public in any form) without the consent of the holder of the copyright of the original work. Exemptions exist for some very minor languages which otherwise don't have a hope in hell of it ever being possible to have things made available to them (as the market is so tiny the costs of producing the work could never be recouped), but English and Japanese don't come under that heading.

Ahn.. I said that I would delete this post, but how can I do this? Cannot find the "delete" button if there`s any..
Would appreciate if the admin could do that instead or somebody teach me how to do it.

Back
Top Bottom