What's new

Need a word or phrase translated?

みなさん (mina-san) is commonly used to when speaking a group of people. みな (mina) means everyone. as for ーさん (-san)... well you already understand that.

Originally posted by Kiyotsuki
みなさん (mina-san) is commonly used to when speaking a group of people. みな (mina) means everyone. as for ーさん (-san)... well you already understand that.
Not just people, but animals (all concerned) as well. And Mina (美奈) is also a girl's name in Japanese ;).

Originally posted by SacredBlue
I'm sorry: "gomen" or "gomen ne"

Please forgive me: "yurushite kudasai" (Closest thing I could think of)
And for more serious offenses "sumimasen" is required as opposed to gomennasai. This is I'm sorry in the sense of having done something wrong, right? they aren't used as words of sympathy of condolance.

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Following up on this, "There's something cute (about her)" becomes
"かわいいとろろがある'んだ(ざ)"? :note:

Add "Ano ko wa nani ka" before the given phrase.

Roughly "She has something . . ."

🙇

Originally posted by SacredBlue
I'm sorry: "gomen" or "gomen ne"

Please forgive me: "yurushite kudasai" (Closest thing I could think of)

"gomen" or "gomen ne" is said only between friends and family members. "yurushite kudasai" is never said but "yurushitene" might be said between friends or family members.

If you're speaking in "Keigo" (polite speech), more appropriate is

"sumimasen deshita" or "moushiwake arimasen(deshita)"

You can't lietrally translate "please forgive me" in Keigo

Originally posted by Buntaro
"I love you" is "Aishite imasu" in Japanese.

"I love you" translated in Japanese sounds pretty corny. If you want to say it to a Japanese person, just go ahead and say it in English. Any Japanese who hasn't been living ina cave for the last 50 years knows what it means, and it would be appreciated more if you say it in English

Originally posted by Golgo_13
"I love you" translated in Japanese sounds pretty corny. If you want to say it to a Japanese person, just go ahead and say it in English. Any Japanese who hasn't been living ina cave for the last 50 years knows what it means, and it would be appreciated more if you say it in English

....I think I'm gonna try that ;)

Anyway, Eve, I think you mean aishiteru right? It also means 'I love you' It's just a contracted form of aishite iru, or aishite imasu as earlier mentioned...

Originally posted by Golgo_13
Sneak a "no" between hokori and arerugi
Alright, well, I've seen it a lot without a "no"....the difference between I have dust allergies and I'm allergic to dust or something? The trickier part is "desu" and "aru," though, isn't it? Can it also translate into I am a dust allergy? :D 私はほこりのアレルゲンです。

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Alright, well, I've seen it a lot without a "no"....the difference between I have dust allergies and I'm allergic to dust or something? The trickier part is "desu" and "aru," though, isn't it? Can it also translate into I am a dust allergy? :D 私はほこりのアレルゲンです。

アレルゲン would be allergen

arerugii is "allergy" but they don't have an equivalent for "allergic" so that's what they say: "______ no arerugii desu"

です es correctamente!

So would you use 'kokoro no tegami' the same way we would use "love letters" in english? Or maybe it would be more along the lines of "kokuhaku no tegami" or "ai no tegami"...

Kokuhaku no tegami would be a confession of love, "ai no tegami" just a regular letter I believe. And perhaps renai shousetsu or koi monogatari for love stories.

Originally Posted by Glenn

Well, this will be less than polite, but what about "俺(おれ)は世界一(せかいいち)だ!" (I am the best in the world!)?

Thanks! 🙇 (I'll just make sure not to use it in public...But, it should be fine when written in manga, correct? ;))

Originally Posted by Buntaro

And, if you want to be really, really, really polite, you could say Watakushi. (Accent the second syllable.) But that is really too polite....

Another question pertaining to that....Is there a really, really polite way to say the English 'you'? Even more-so than 'anata'? (Thanks!)

Originally posted by Kiyotsuki
So would you use 'kokoro no tegami' the same way we would use "love letters" in english? Or maybe it would be more along the lines of "kokuhaku no tegami" or "ai no tegami"...

"love letter" in Japanese is "rabu retaa". serious!

The kind of hotels where you rent rooms by the hour is called a "rabu hotel"

:emoji_grinning:

Back
Top Bottom