② あの映画はあまり面白くなかったんです。

「~ないと……」と「~なければなりません」の意味も同じですか。たとえば、
① 薬を飲まなければなりません。
② 薬を飲まないと……

失礼ですが、教える時は英語と分かりやすい日本語はいいですよ。よろしく。
① That movie wasn't that interesting.
② That movie wasn't very interesting.

そんなに is used to express the extent of something;
to emphasize and stress something (thus the italics).
① can also be あの映画はそれほど面白くなかったんです。
① That movie was not interesting to that extent.

あまり is more like amount of something. The (amount of) interests in that movie was not very much.

① Have to take the medicine.
② Have to take the medicine.

They are the same. For the ~ないと form, the だめ/いけない/ならない is often omitted during casual speech. The only real difference is that ① is more formal than ②. You'd almost never see ~なければならない in conversation because of the length of it, while it is used more often in writing. The ~ないと(だめ/いけない/ならない) form is most used, usually with the shorter version (just ~ないと。).

Hi, J44xm!

Sorry about the other post! I think I became overenthusiastic about writing to you in Japanese. 😌

Well, I think moofs got it!
"Sonna" assumes that there was a level of expectation on your part and the actual level fell short of it.
"Amari" is merely stating that the level was rather low.

The use of "...naito" and "...nakereba narimasen" is identical in the example you give, only that the latter is more formal and stronger obligation than the former. I think they also have delicate differences depending on usage--but I can't think of good examples right now. 🙇‍♂️

Thank you both very much. These kinds of details interest me a lot and I appreciate the feedback. (大丈夫、epigeneさん!) Building from the information I've received, please example the following exchange:

A: 洋子ちゃんが好きだった映画はすごく面白かった?
B: うん、本当にそんなに面白かっただよ!

Does this look okay? Can you use 「そんなに」 like this? (And is A's sentence correct?) よろしく。

J44xm said:
Thank you both very much. These kinds of details interest me a lot and I appreciate the feedback. (大丈夫、epigeneさん!) Building from the information I've received, please example the following exchange:

A: 洋子ちゃんが好きだった映画はすごく面白かった?
B: うん、本当にそんなに面白かっただよ!

Does this look okay? Can you use 「そんなに」 like this? (And is A's sentence correct?) よろしく。
Use of そんなに here must be negative, since it suggests "falling short of expectations, i.e., disappointing."
If it is positive, そんなに must be skipped.
If negative, 本当に must be skipped.

Another point is 面白かった . The casual speech copula for this is よ and not だよ . Why the former rather than the latter? I can only say that it "doesn't sound right" (being no grammar expert 😌 )
For your information, see:
Grammar Notes 9A

One thing regarding this that I can say for certain is that there is no 「~ただよ」in standard Japanese. (This usage exists in some rural dialect(s)--I don't remember which region.)

So, if you found the movie interesting:
うん、本当に面白かったよ!
If not:
うん、そんなに面白くなかったよ!
(Just in care: うん here does not mean yes/no but the listener's recognition of the question from the speaker.)

Thank you, epigene. That link was pretty awesome. (すごかったよ!) I amazed myself by getting all of the quiz questions right, almost always to the very word. That was a nice high. あのページは本当に面白かったよ。

As for the topic at hand, though, I appreciate being told that 「~ただよ」, basically, doesn't exist in most modern Japanese. (I'll be listening for it in rural areas, though.)

どうもありがとう! I'm going to explore this website a bit more now ...

Actually, it's the です that's the oddball, not the lack of だ. です gets added to show politeness, because adjectives don't have a way of marking it inherently.

Also, I think that the 面白かっただ in those rural dialects is the same as 面白かったんだ (assuming that they use 面白い).

Back
Top Bottom