What's new

The Baiting of Con Artist P. Nowak (long, long thread)

Mandylion

Omnipotence personified
Contributor
15 Mar 2003
The Baiting of Con Artist Pawel T. Nowak (long, long thread)

Recently on this thread, a man going by the name of Pawel Tomasz Nowak claimed to have a Japanese sword from the 1700s to sell for the low, low price of 400 USD. Knowing this man was a con artist, I locked down the thread and banned him from JREF. However, given the number of fake antiques being sold over the net, and not just swords, I thought I would try and use this opportunity to look at how a con artist works.

What follows is a transcript of all our communications. Following that, I will take a more in-depth look at how he tried to con me and his game of subtle misdirection. Nowak's e-mails are in standard text and mine (or Greg Peterson's) are in italics. My other comments, not sent to Nowak, are in bold. I am limited to 5 pictures per thread so I have had to limit the roughly 20 photos exchanged to a representative few. Please PM me if you wish to see the whole set. I recommend opening photo links in a new window and adjusting the size so you can look at the photos and read the text when you come to the analysis section. Enjoy!

MARCH 3rd
Hi! I saw your post about the samurai sword you are selling. I am interested in buying it. Do you have any pics I could see? Thnxs. Pls, e-mail me with the details! - Greg Peterson

MARCH 4th
Dear Greg, Thank you for your answer. The blade I am talking about I have got from one man, Mr Milakow from California. That was a few years ago. His grandfather was an American officer who served in the US Army during WWII on Pacific. He was a POW and after the war, he got the sword from one of the Japanese officers. The sword has a WWII "wear" but the blade, according to the swordsman is from the first part of the XVIII century. I have a Customer Declaration which proves that is an antique, genuine Japanese sword. The declaration shows the value of 750$. I am not a collector. I am an archivist who has an interest in Maritime History. I live in Poland. I am just before my next research trip to Spain and I am looking for the additional funds. So, I could sell it for the fee of $400. If you think you could have any interest in such a sword, please let me know. I could also send my ID Passport and references and credentials I have got in Spanish and English archives to show you that I am an honest man. uh huh...
Let me know.
Kind regards,
Pawel Tomasz Nowak

Here are some of the photos Nowak sent. I have not modified them in any way. They are all worthless

Blade-0.jpg

Blade-2.jpg

Come on Nowak, those photos were crap. Let's see if the lure of extra cash will get you to work harder for me... Hi Paul, Yes, I am still interested in the samurai sword. It looks cool. But I feel a little bad if I got it for only 400. I believe in paying fair prices for fair deals and I would want to pay you some extra if you can help me out a bit.

Do you have any larger / clearer pictures of the blade? The flash in your last set makes it hard to make out much detail. I know you must be busy getting ready to go to Spain, but I would feel better about it.

I'm really excited about the deal! I haven't collected any samurai swords yet. I have a few decorative European knights swords I got from a store at the mall, but they aren't real. I'm looking forward to getting my first real sword.

Please send me a better pic when you have a sec and we can talk about a better price - maybe around 500, depending on what I can see in the photo?
Thanks, Greg P.

Ps: here is a picture of my friend Dan with two of his swords, just so you know I'm not some kid.

I sent Nowak a photo of a guy holding two crossed fantasy style swords

MARCH 5
Greg, Thank you for your answer. I am sending you a few more photos of the
sword. That is all that I have in a portfolio. I hope it will help you to make a decision. If you really want to make a deal, I can send to you my credentials and references I have got in Spanish and English archives, my ID Passport and other info you may need to secure the transaction. And once again, $400 is what I would like to get. I never change my word. honourable to the end...BUT If you feel better with paying $500, that is okay wow! but there is no pressure. there never is Please let me know your decision. Can you tell me more about your person ?.
I am waiting for your answer.
Kind regards, Pawel T. Nowak

SECOND E-MAIL, SAME DAY
Greg, I hope you have got my previous message sent today with some more
photos of the blade. That is all what I have in my portfolio. I am sending you my credentials and references I have got in Spanish and English archives (as my Maritime History is my hobby) to show you that I am a honest man. Please let me know if you still have an interest in this XVIII century blade and if you want to make a deal with me.

I am waiting for your answer. Kind regards, Pawel T. Nowak

THIRD E-MAIL, SAME DAY
Nowak seems to be losing track of his cons...
Greg, I hope you have got my previous message sent today with some more photos of the blade. That is all what I have in my portfolio. I am sending you my credentials and references I have got in Spanish and English archives (as my Maritime History is my hobby) to show you that I am a honest man. Please let me know if you still have an interest in this XVIII century blade and if you want to make a deal with me.

I am waiting for your answer. Kind regards, Pawel T. Nowak

I'll go over why the references are also worthless in a bit

Notice what happens in Nowaks next e-mail when I envolve an "expert," Greg's ninja friend...
Hello, Thanks for the pics and the letters. Thank you for the references. Are you going to be doing more of the same work in Spain?

I hope you don't mind, but I asked a friend who practices the Way of the Ninja to look at the photos too. He knows more about samurai swords than I do. I want to give you a fair price and he can help me know what that is. I'm gonna see him on Tuesday next week.

Do you have any more info on the blade like how long it is, how much it weighs?

Is the sword in Poland? How much will it cost to send it to me?

Could you take a picture with it so I could get a sense of its proportions? a long shot that a con man would take a photo with the sword, but it is also a test to see if the sword exists I know you are a busy man, so I don't mind waiting a few days.

You ask to know a little about me. I am a bridge worker for American Bridge based in Hampton Roads VA. I work on concrete construction for bridges and underwater walls and stuff like that. I've worked there for a few years now. It is a good job and sometimes they send us on jobs out in places like the Bahamas. The picture is of our recent work. I hope to get back on the work roation later this year. -Greg P.

American Bridge is a real company and they do work out of Virgina and a few other locations. A film about bridge building was on TV when I wrote Nowak back. I sent him a photo of one of their harbor work sites in the Bahamas

MARCH 7th
Greg, Thank you for your answer. First of all, I am sending you my ID Passport to show you that I trust you and I am a honest man. Please note, the sword is real. Haven't shown me anything to prove this yet! These are the dimensions: blade length is: 28 inches and nakago lenght is: 7 inches. Other words that is an old polish sword with some hazing and some loose grains. The sword is in Poland. I have sent to you a Custom Declaration and Dispatch Note which shows that I am a holder of the sword. If you remember, the Declaration shows the value of $750 but I can sell it for 400-500$ as I am just before my research trip to Spain and simply..., I need money as soon as possible. My friend Francisco Javier Alvarez Pinedo who is a Jefe Departamento de Referencias in Archivo General de Simancas is going to be retired very soon and I guess I have a last chance to make my own research trip to Simancas and get an access to the sections usualy closed for other people. What a sob story! This has nothing to do with our deal. Now that there is a chance someone Greg trusts more than him might say the sword looks worthless, Nowak tried to crank up the emotional end of his sales pitch

That is a reason I would like to make a deal (if you realy have an interest) as soon as possible. I would like to leave Poland on Thursday next week. If you make a decision to obtain my sword, please send the funds via Western Union Money Transfer and I will send the sword via courier mail like DHL or UPS. There will be no taxes on your side. I will deliver the shipment confirmation and trucking number. So, we could truck the sword online. I guess that is a honest offer. My best friend has a German bayonet from the WWII and if you want, I can put this piece of history also to the package. I would like to give Nowak a piece of history...

Anyway, I am waiting for your quick responce and please forgive that I am so hurry. I just do not want to loose my chance to get an access to one important section in Simancas (seccion Mapas,Planos y Dibuyos). boo hoo

Let me know. Do you have any phone number I could call you ?. Pawel T. Nowak

Here is the passport scan Nowak sent me along with a little something I made in about 20 minutes

duopassports.jpg

Hi Pawel, Thanks for the e-mail. As I said, my friend is looking at the photos you kindly sent and I will see him next Tuesday (the 9th here in the US). I think you can get your money from Western Union by the time you need to go to Spain. You said you are leaving on Thursday, right? That should be enough time.

Sorry for the delay. I don't have a lot of cash, but I want to give you a fair price. If you want to talk, I should probably call you. I have to work swing shifts this week and I don't know when I will have time off or when it would be a good hour in Poland. How about I call you after the 9th after I meet with my friend? -Greg P.
notice how he ignores the bit about me calling him in the next e-mail

MARCH 8th
Greg...,If you get the answer from your friend, and if you make a decision to buy my sword ... please send the funds via Western Union Money Transfer to Mr. Pawel Nowak to the country of Poland. You may need my mailing address in the Western Union office:

Pawel Nowak
Ul. Piastowska 20/41
97-500 Radomsko
Poland
The only time Nowak has given me a factual piece of information!
Of course, there is no pressure. Of course not... You can accept my offer or reject it. If you will make a decision to make a deal with me, please send me also your mailing address you wish to get the sword and I will send it the same day when I get the funds. I will send it via UPS courier mail and deliver the shipment confirmation and trucking number. So, we could truck the sword online. Oh, that sounds like a grand ol' time

Anyway, I am waiting for your answer.

Kind regards, Pawel T. Nowak

SECOND E-MAIL, SAME DAY
Greg, I hope you will get the answer from your friend tomorrow. I am not sure I could wait a little longer.oh darn When I get the answer, I will prepar the sword to be send via courier mail UPS. I am waiting for your answer. Sincerely Yours, Pawel T. Nowak

Yo, Nowak, are you not reading my e-mails?! I said the 9th!!!
Hi Pawel, Thanks for the info. I will let you know as soon as I can meet with my friend and send off an e-mail. Sorry for the trouble - Greg

MARCH 9th

Greg, Thank you for your answer. Yes, I am waiting for your e-mail. Please meet your friend and let me know what is your final decision. Let me know. Kind regards,
Pawel T. Nowak

Mr. Nowak, I have decided not to buy your sword. I think we both know why so I am not going to waste your time or mine. Your reputation precedes you. A quick Google search of your name turns up multiple references to shady or fraudulent deals. Major sword aficionado websites also identify you as a con artist. If, by some twist of fate, the universe has unfairly aligned itself against you, I would recommend that you take some drastic steps to rectify the situation.

However, none of the pictures or documents you sent prove either the authenticity or condition of the sword, support your identity, or that the sword actually exists. All of your correspondence smacks of a poorly run con.

I still must thank you for your time. Everything you sent me will serve as a warning to others who might be tempted by your offers. The fake treasure map game has run out for you and it seems the fake nihonto sham will soon as well. -G.P.

----------------------------------------------
Analysis
Now I would like to talk about the information the seller provided me and what it does and does not show us.

First a note and a disclaimer - There are many, many things to look at when thinking about buying a sword, or any antique, and the best way is to do it in person. I can only go into a fraction of the basics here. Luckily, there are a ton of good sites out on the net with wonderful photos, tips, and explanations. I have put a few of these at the end of this post and I encourage you to have a look. Lastly, I am not an expert on Japanese swords, just an enthusiastic amateur. I still have a lot to learn and I do not claim to have the last word in how to collect antiques. That said, I do know enough to confidently put forward a few of the things I have picked up over the years.

Okay, enough chit-chat! Let窶冱 get to it!

Nowak says the sword is from the 18th century 窶 the middle of the Edo period- that he got from a friend, who got it from his grandfather, who got it from a Japanese officer after World War Two. He says it is worth 750 USD but will sell it for 400 USD. He also says it has some "WWII wear."

First, minor damage does not really impact the value of a sword unless it is severe. Surface flaws can be polished out and chips from use are often cherished as badges of honor. There are some flaws that can be fatal to a blade, and which can decrease the value, but these might make a good study piece. Good photos will reveal any damage and the seller should point out all the flaws to you. We will discuss the photos Nowak sent in a bit.

The first red flag that goes up is the price. Even if the seller is unfamiliar with swords, a few minutes on the internet will give you an idea of what these things might cost. A logical person would then have the sword appraised by an expert. Swords in good condition from the 1700s are worth thousands and thousands of dollars. Wouldn't you want to know if your sword costs that much? Imagine how many research trips - the first reason Nowak claims to need the money - 2,000 USD would fund. Many experts will appraise a sword if you go through the trouble and pay shipping and a fee for their trouble.

Nowak quoting a price of 400 USD, after the stunning 50% discount, is just to make you think you are getting an amazing deal. Chances are, you are not. If the sword is a forgery, and a skilled forgery at that, chances are it is worth no more than about 100 USD.

Nowak tries to use a US Postal Service Customs Declaration form to prove the sword is 1) worth 750 USD, 2) is in possession of the sword, and 3) it is an antique. Nowak offers no other documentation that the sword is genuine.

All apologies to the USPS, but the world will be in grave trouble when we start assessing value and pedigree from honor-based customs declarations. Don't let the official looking stamps fool you. With a scanner and a good photo editing program almost anything is possible, as we shall see. This bit of paper is all well and good, but it proves nothing.

In the text of his e-mail Nowak also tries to cover all his rear by saying he is not a collector. This is an attempt to wiggle out of any tricky questions. He has done enough research to pull the wool over most unsuspecting peoples窶 eyes. This claim of ignorance is also supposed to make you think you are going to make a great deal by taking advantage of this deficiency.

Then comes the sob story - in this case, he needs to get to Spain. Perhaps this is a reflection on my materialist, capitalist, red meat eating, upbringing but I don't care one whisker if he needs money to get to Spain. This fact has nothing to do with our deal. Be very aware of someone trying to pull on your heartstrings. If you want to ask why someone is selling their possessions, go right ahead, but to offer this information as a seller is unprofessional at best. This attempt at misdirection, placing a sense of urgency and a personal crisis into the mix, is a classic con trick. The faster they get your money, the sooner they will have won.

Last we have the offer to send references and identification. As we shall see in a bit just to how big a hill of beans this amount.

Now for the sword photos - the pictures are of low resolution, small, and show very little detail. You need to see detail to get clues as to how the sword was constructed and to appraise surface damage like rust or pitting. The onus is on the seller to prove that the product is what he/she claims. Poor camera skills are hardly an excuse. Always be suspicious of someone who cannot provides you with documentation or satisfies your requests for information.

Compare these photos with ones from a legitimate dealer.

Now lett's get technical. Nowak has done a fairly good job of providing photos of things someone who is vaguely familiar with Japanese swords wants to see 窶 someone who isn't, won't know the difference. He has done a little research and has enough lingo to appear like someone who is not an expert, but isn't just trying to run a shell game. People who don't know better will likely just take this jargon for knowledge and not question what they are being told - the price just can't be beat!

Photo of the entire sword - basically worthless. He has taken it apart for us. How nice! This is just a smokescreen. Just because it comes apart doesn't make it not fake. All the right bits and pieces are there, but some are a wee bit off.

Let窶冱 start with the scabbard. The picture is so bad you can't even make a proper examination. The cord, tied up in a sort of knot, is paired with what looks like a metal button (used in some scabbards, from many cultures especially in the last two centuries, to secure a leather strap through a hilt or around a handle). In my opinion, the cord is far too short. It should be about one and a half times the length of the scabbard. Plus, secured hanging from a belt as was the fashion in WWII, not tucked through one, it is redundant. Swords from WWII usually have the button or some other securing device, and a ring to hang the sword from a belt.

The tang (part under the handle) - the hole is to secure the grip onto the tang by means of a bamboo peg. That there is only one hole is the interesting bit. The seller claims the sword was used by an officer in WWII. This means that the mountings (the grip, guard, scabbard, other ornaments) would have been changed. When this happens, usually a new hole must be drilled to accommodate a grip of different dimensions / configuration. Swords with more than one hole can usually be considered old. It is not unheard of to have old swords without multiple holes, but these usually come with official documentation and sell for thousands and thousands of dollars. The hole on this sword also appears not to be round窶ヲThis tang is unsigned / there are no kanji characters. That doesn't mean it is fake, as many swords are not signed.

Close up of the blade - again, the picture is of such poor quality as to be useless. One of the things we want to be looking for is any pitting due to rust and the temper line, the kamon, the wavy bit along the edge. This line is traditionally produced by differential heat treatment during the tempering process. It is one of the beautiful aspects of the Japanese sword and a very important element to determining value. Fortunately, it is almost impossible to counterfeit, but close approximations can be achieved.

Most fake hamon are produced by acid etching. However, this will lack the subtle and intricate nature of a true clay-tempered design. It can also be removed by polishing the blade. It is only a surface, cosmetic modification. That said, there are plenty of good quality modern swords, some even traditionally made, with etched hamon, but the key is that the people who sell them do not try to pass them off as antique.

It is also impossible to check the grain of the blade in this photo. Handmade swords produced by folding an ingot of steel and hammering it out numerous times can produce waves and variations in the polished surface of the blade. Sometimes, when skillfully polished, these look like the grain of the wood, though many variations are possible. There are genuine swords without clearly defined grain. Just because a sword doesn't have a grain pattern doesn't mean it is fake, but it should always be possible to check in any photos you are given.

Let's get back to the e-mails - perhaps the best indicator that something is up. While the seller has provided what appears to be all the right photos and all the right info, he is really told us nothing.

At this stage of the game, we get a few more e-mails with attempts at misdirection. We will find more pleas to hurry, some more documents that don't prove anything, and an attempt at honesty while not passing up my offer for more cash...

Let's take a moment and look at the references Nowak sent. They are simply letters, and conveniently for Nowak, letters no one is going to take the time to check them out. They don't prove he is who he says he is and they don't relate in any way to his honesty as a merchant. The subject matter is completely unrelated to the sword. BMW doesn't sell cars by advertising the efficiency of its new corporate jet. It shows you ads about cars and testimonials of people who drive them. The same goes for any business. These letters are further attempts to misdirect the attention of the buyer and lend credibility to the sob story Nowak hopes I have bought by this point.

On the 7th we see Nowak's fall-back position. I have asked him for more details on the sword and a photo of him holding the sword. He tries to give me what I am after, but not photo was forthcoming. The dimensions are okay, though 7 inches for a nakago (handle) seems, to me, a little short. Then we get the phrases old polish and some loose grains. The first I am okay with, but loose grains? This is a term I have never come across before. The only way I can see that the grains could be said to be loose would be if they were rusting off. Again, unless you know what you are reading this might slip under the radar. Always do as much research as possible before buying antiques.

Again we get the sob story, this time with a few more names, and a time limit to buy the sword - the following Thursday. The longer a con runs his/her game, the better chance there is that the victim will get suspicious and pull out. If I want to take advantage of this fantastic deal, I must act now! A legitimate dealer will not try and pressure you into buying something under the guns.

You will also notice the request to get to know me as a person. What a load of malarkey! This is another attempt to build a point of personal contact between the con artist and the victim in order to build trust and lull the victim into a sense of security. Don't buy into it for a second. It is unprofessional and one of the marks of a con game.

Next due to my requests for a bit of time to meet with "my friend" Nowak is in a holding pattern. He is sure to send me an e-mail a day reminding me there is no pressure but expands even further as to why he needs to get the money to go to Spain. He now wants me to let him know ASAP if I am going to buy it, and also, conveniently, tells me where I should send my money (hint, hint). Even though I clearly stated I would talk to my friend on Tuesday and be in touch with Nowak, I still get three e-mails from him. I said Tuesday damnit!

The whole thing reeks of a con. The attempts at proving legitimacy, the sense that it is a no-risk proposition, that the buyer is getting a big deal, the seller has some sob story to educe the buyer to ignore his better judgment.

There is a sense of urgency on the part of the seller. This is natural for this game. If the buyer takes too long, they might uncover the con and back out. In a con game, time is the enemy. There are also attempts at getting personal. People are much less likely to doubt someone they feel they know, no matter how cursory the relationship may be. These elements are found in almost any con. Don't take them as humanitarian attempts at becoming friends. This is a business deal. Keep it that way.

In our example, I don't care one hair of a rat's *** that the man has written letters to various naval departments, has a passport and has some sob story about needing money.

The passport, some kind of attempt at proving he is legitimate, is a fake. Anyone with a good photo editing program can produce one of these. If you have a good program, try zooming-in around the letters and symbols on the document (the ones you can read). You will notice the pixilation of the area around the text varies slightly from the areas where there are no markings (blank space). For our example, the ?<<<- near the bottom of the document are the clearest example of this. This is usually a good indication something has been erased and/or superimposed.

Always take some time to educate yourself before shelling out some cash for an object you cannot handle before you buy and from a seller, you will never meet. It can save you some cash, give you peace of mind, and limit the number of fakes and frauds trying to cheat an honest collector out of their money. Happy hunting!

Aio Art
Amazing site
e-budo.com (linking to it is causing some problems - please enter address yourself)
Also check out The Samurai Sword: A Handbook By John M. Yumoto, Charles E. Tuttle and Company, 1958.

Blade-0.jpg
Blade-2.jpg
prophoto1.jpeg
Blade-1.jpg
duopassports.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Jeisan, I have. Thought about trying one of those, but I don't think I have the energy. This was a good way to test the waters. Thanks for the compliment! - M

Just a heads up - This guy is still out there. Came across some more post from people on other forums asking if they should buy this sword or not. They were the lucky ones that saved 400 bucks.

Nowak is still using the same photos of the sword I have here and with the same cover story. He is not very creative, which makes him easy to spot/avoid.

Don't fall for this guy - oh, and stay away from Ebay. As of late, the vast majority of the Japanese and other swords being sold are Chinese fakes - some of them really bad fakes at that. Rumor is, Ebay is looking into ways to solve the problem (review panels) but it is all just rumor. For now, stick with buying what you can check out first in person.

Mandylion said:
Just a heads up - This guy is still out there. Came across some more post from people on other forums asking if they should buy this sword or not. They were the lucky ones that saved 400 bucks.

Nowak is still using the same photos of the sword I have here and with the same cover story. He is not very creative, which makes him easy to spot/avoid.

Don't fall for this guy - oh, and stay away from Ebay. As of late, the vast majority of the Japanese and other swords being sold are Chinese fakes - some of them really bad fakes at that. Rumor is, Ebay is looking into ways to solve the problem (review panels) but it is all just rumor. For now, stick with buying what you can check out first in person.

Mandylion, I have to say that you are awesome. I almost got sucked into a bum deal. It was close but I pulled out in the end mainly because I found something better. I can't believe that you took the time to follow through with that so much. Well, even though it may not mean much but you earned my respect. YOU ROCK. 👍

Respect from any quarter is much appreciated Buddha-Smoker. Thank you.

Believe me, some days(read weeks) work is very slow (though I did the main e-mail baiting in the evenings about 30 min at a time. If you have an overactive imagination this type of work can be fun). :)

Thanks for the nice comments. 🙂

Well, I have lots of time too but still I battle with that laziness factor. Unfortuately, he wins most of the time. :D

Hey, Mandylion. Glad to see you weren't fooled. Sometimes it is hard to spot the con.

Here's something funny to read about. Have you heard about the p-p-p-PowerBook scam? :D

lineartube said:
Hey, Madylion. Glad to see you weren't fooled. Sometimes it is hard to spot the con.

Here's something funny to read about. Have you heard about the p-p-p-powebook scam? :D

That powerbook was the best...I laughed and laughed so hard. I even emailed the Jeff guy to see what happened or if he found anything. I'll let you know if I get a response.

This one looks authentic... too bad he relied too much on free translation services. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43340&item=2270607719&rd=1

I am very elf-struck (...) I am very glad to offer my collections on eBay for trade and intercourse with everybody

I'm sure you are, buddy. I'm sure you are. :D

Cordial greetings from BladeForums. Just to let you know that our friend Pawel is still selling the same sword. I got this message via Bladeforums this morning. He has since been banned because I found excellent posts like this thread using a Search Engine and brought it to the attention of one of our Moderators. Amazing he is selling everything I collect. notice the price has gone up, inflation I guess!

This is a message from Kaspian_1 at BladeForums.

To email Kaspian_1, you can use the online form:

OR, by email:
Shipwrecks.Research at yahoo dot com

This is the message:

Hello:

I have a Japanese sword (katana) with the blade from XVIII century. I would like to sell it for 500$. There is also a short sword called tanto from the later period. I have all the papers which shows I am a curent holder of these items. I also have some genuine german daggers (kriegsmarine, luftwaffe, wehrmacht, SA and SS from second world war) for sale & some bayonets. If you think you could have any interest in such items, please let me know.

All the best.

Pawel

Shipwrecks.Research at yahoo com
Trident.Research at hotmail com

Thank you for the update, Mr. Taylor! This thread was so old I had never seen it before today. Amazing that he is still pulling the same stunts, without even changing his story. Very enjoyable read!

Just saw this myself. This isn't just good for the read, but has some decent information for any one interested in actual swords and the methods they are judged.

Pawel Nowak

Good afternoon gentlemen! Unfortunately I have to let you know that he is indeed alive and well, having ripped me off for $235US! I was sent a link to this great thread by mandylion, who I tried to contact by PM to thank him for his thread, even though it was too late for me, but his PM bank is full and it didn't go through.
In my case, he tried to sell me some German medals, not for bargain basement prices so no alarm bells there. I had some people examine his photos that he provided me, and overall they looked good. A couple that were obvious fakes, but by and large they appeared genuine. Since reading this thread, I've come to realize that the passport was apparently a fake, but by him offering that to me, and his address for delivery of money and his bank account details, I didn't think he'd be that brazen a crook - silly me!
I've posted a story about him on my site if you want to read about it, I tried to leave a direct link but I'm not allowed to yet, too few posts! If you use the link to my site in my sig, go to the top section, Feldpostoffice, go to the Spotlight forum and there he is! If any of you would like to contribute to the site in your fields of expertise, please feel free to do so. It's a new site, only been going for six months, but I'm happy with the way things are going. Any comments or suggestions are welcome, and any postings in the Japanese forums would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!

Pawel Nowak has indeed moved into militaria. I can't add a link to our website because I haven't enough posts here but Troy has covered it. Fair enough. It's obviously an anti-spam and pornster thing. PM me for the link if you're interested.

He has also been active in shipwrecks, treasure galleons and old documents pertaining to same. Inspired by your thread here, which I found whilst researching Pawel, I decided to devote some time to baiting him again. He is nothing if not persistent. Were he to devote as much energy to working honestly for a living, the lad would do well, methinks.

At one point, he was a Law undergraduate in Lodz. His life appears to conform to a pattern of cutting and running from one scam to the next. The authorities here in the European Union do not seem interested in the activities of such individuals. It is presumably far easier and far more profitable for the authorities to put our policemen to work persecuting motorists and motorcyclists to fill official coffers than to have them deal with scam artists, grifters and other criminals and fraudsters.

I wonder where Pawel got my e-mail address. The one to which he sent his proposition is not one I use in connection with my military history activities.

:D
Phones

I wonder how Pawel will react to my last e-mail to him. He had just sent me a covering letter from one of his banks concerning the issue earlier this year of a new Visa card.

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:55:58 +0200
To: Paweツ" Nowak <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Die Deutsche Militaria/Old German Militaria/Proofs !
Dear Pawel,
Thank you for the photographs but they do not show any of the items you have proposed to me. It is a shame that your girlfriend has your camera. All I need to see is you with some of these medals and helmets you have proposed for ?900.00. Are you able to go to a place where they take photographs for passports? You could hold up some of the medals around your head. It would be a cheap way of giving me the proof I need in order to send you ?900.00.

Your Visa card doesn't check out, by the way. It doesn't work. There is a problem with it.

Best regards,

PK

I wonder when Pawel will realise that he's being baited. Maybe telling him that I tried to use his Visa card number will alert him. I thought I'd buy my friend Troy something nice on Pawel's behalf. No dice...

Pawel Nowak - Polish Police Report for Fraud

Hi, I currently have Pawel Nowak baiting me up this last 2 days by email for a sale. I have read all the reports and comments about this man who needs to be in the hands of the Police Fraud Office and under investigation. I offered to pay by PayPal rather than Western Union his desired method of payment.
I think it unlikely that he will get back to me however should he decide to do I need an address from him to enable him to collect payment. If anyone has contact with the Polish Police Authorities it may be possible to set him up once and for all.
Carl

Good afternoon gentlemen! Unfortunately I have to let you know that Pawel Nowak is STILL alive and well. He is using shipwrecks.recovery@yahoo e-mail address.

I have a picture and a drivig licence of him. Maybe they are fake but it is good everyone to know about them! Unfortunatelly I can not give you links now bacause the forum rules don't allow me. It tells me that I have not enough posts and I cannot put links here. If anybody wants to try, send me PM and I'll give you the pics!!!

I am wondering how does he find our e-mail addresses?

If anyone has already contact with the Polish Police let us know! Everyone of us can send them all info about this liar!!!

Here they are:

//img215.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=51830_Drivinglicence_122_85lo.jpg

//img196.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=51831_My_122_154lo.jpg

Just put http: before the links and you will see maybe how this swindler looks like.

As an individual you will need yourself to contact your own Police and ask you be transferred to Interpol Fraud Dept and then provide details of Pawel Novak. If you do not then you are only encouraging this person and others to do the same. Make and effort and ring report this issue to the Police.

I just read your complaints about Pawel Nowak and you can add me to the list. I do know someone in Poland who is as trustworthy as you can get. I forwarded all information to him and see if he can somehow report this scammer or even better, maybe he will break his legs for us.

aaa

Hello, I must admit that I have been scammed by this P Nowak. I just want to ask anyone if they would have any further info on this pathetic individual. Along with Pawel Nowak, the address given to me is UL. Piastowska 20/41, 977-500 Radamsko, Poland. I have no valid excuse for falling for this scam...I didn't actually do a web search for the name until I had already sent several hundred + dollars for a third reich item. But if anyone out there can provide anything further - in any way - it would be much appreciated! Thanks! Steve/Nebraska Can reach me @ ste502003 atyahoodotcom

Last edited:
Refund from Pawel Nowak

I posted the information on another forum and I will look later today and see if I can find it. My friend in Poland got my the name and address of the local prosecutor. I sent a letter along with copies of emails and the Western Union payment, I heard nothing for a couple of months and then I got an email from Pawel Nowak with a Western Union number. I went to Western Union and there was my money, every penny of it. So, don't give up hope and search for any eamils or payment papers you have, you'll need them and it will be worth while.

Hello, I must admit that I have been scammed by this P Nowak. I just want to ask anyone if they would have any further info on this pathetic individual. Along with Pawel Nowak, the address given to me is UL. Piastowska 20/41, 977-500 Radamsko, Poland. I have no valid excuse for falling for this scam...I didn't actually do a web search for the name until I had already sent several hundred + dollars for a third reich item. But if anyone out there can provide anything further - in any way - it would be much appreciated! Thanks! Steve/Nebraska Can reach me @ ste502003 atyahoodotcom

Back
Top Bottom