What's new

Anyone a Japanese Studies applicant? (MEXT)

HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF

My Embassy got back to my e-mail today and I'm sittin pretty in the same place you folks are. This is where I'm glad I picked less-popular schools. I'm not scared all three of my rural eastern schools will reject me. Guys, GUYS! We're, in principle (as my embassy rep termed it), going to Japan in Oct! I'm going to go celebrate somehow. Maybe some donburi.

edit: Kibo88, I chose 1. Yamagata 2. Akita and 3. Hirosaki. I've never been but hear great things about 東北, so thought I'd try there.

Last edited:
Congrats! I have also received an acceptance email for the scholarship :D
Placement won't come till July, but I chose as my top three Osaka, Doshisha and Kobe.

Gongrats everyone! Scottwo, my sempai actually got this scholarship to Yamagata last year, and she seems to like it very much :) I think your chances with getting the scholarship are pretty good indeed. I should have chosen some less popular schools too, but oh well, can't help it anymore.

Ahhh, yeah, I found her blog yamagatamonogatari. It's all in Finnish, though, so I just look at the pictures. lol. :)

Last edited:
I still wonder how many of us can be turned down.. I wish we could know how many people got the "acceptance e-mail".

Well, we have to wait and see I guess :) Let's hope we can make it!

So, I got an email from Yamagata University. They're looking for me to fly in Sept. 18-20. They also had me fill out an application for the international student housing. So... it's looking pretty solid. :) I really wish summer were over right now!

That's great, scottwo! I'm on the same boat as Lamourha, no news yet. All my 3 university choices are in Tokyo and I think they have lots of applicants, so I suppose I'll have to wait until the end of the month for them to get back to me. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Congratulations, Scottwo!! Haha, I'd be doing cartwheels. 👍

Like Harbourcoat and Lamourha, still no word on this end either.
God, I hope it comes through. I'd be shattered being knocked out at this point.

Nothing yet, though I've been checking here nervously everyday to see whether it had come through for you guys. :)

I just received an email from my embassy, and I got the scholarship!!!!!! :D I read the email at work, probably not a good idea as I kinda feel like hyperventilating now... Such a relief. They actually gave the scholarship to all three people that were recommended from Finland, which is great since usually only 1-2 people from here get it.

But the weird thing is, I wasn't accepted to any unis that I had chosen in the application o__O I'm going to Hiroshima daigaku, but I don't really care as long as I got the scholarship. I was originally hoping for Tokyo as I love big cities, but maybe smaller city is actually better for me.

Oh Lamourha, congratulations!! I'm so happy for you! 😄 I'm sure that you'll have an amazing time in Hiroshima -- It's beautiful there and I'm already envious over all the delicious okonomiyaki you'll be enjoying!!

Still waiting here, and driving myself to distraction in the meantime. I hope it comes tomorrow, as I don't know that I'll be able to take another weekend of suspense.

Again, well done!

I just got the results from the embassy as well! I think MEXT has sent the official results to the embassies and now it's only a matter of hours when the embassy will contact everyone! :)

Yey! :D

Well done, Kibo88! That's great news!! May I ask where you'll be attending?

It's already night time here now, so hopefully first thing tomorrow. >.< Thanks for letting me know. :)

Thank you, chaitea ^__^ As kibo88 said, you will most likely find out the results tomorrow. I think you'll hear positive news too!

Congrats Lamourha and kibo!

I rang the embassy today and they told me they haven't received any news from MEXT yet. The lady on the phone said the final decision will come in early August at the latest, so... hopefully next week.

You were right, Kibo88, Lamourha, the email came through today!

I'll be headed up north to Niigata University. Like you, Lamourha, not on my list of preferences, but absolutely delighted all the same!!! 👍

Hang in there, Harbourcoat!

Got word today. I didn't make it to any of my choices so they're sending me to Utsunomiya Daigaku, in Tochigi... better than nothing I suppose :\

Well Harborcoat, at least Utsunomiya is pretty close to Tokyo, whereas MEXT sent me 680 kilometers away from there ^^" Gongrats for getting the scholarship!

Hello! And congratulations to all of you guys!
This is my first post here so, yoroshiku onegaishimasu. :) It was such a relief to find this forum 'cause same as many of you, I'll be also in my way to Japan this September as a Japanese Studies scholarship student. My destination will be Okayama (Okayama University), which was actually one of my three choices.
So far there was no contact from the university itself, neither by e-mail nor by any other mean. Guess I'll be taking my chances and sending an e-mail to their international center myself. I'm freaking out. It's not even my first time studying in Japan (I already went to Kyoto once and spent one year there studying with my own financial resources... 4 years ago!), but this time I don't know... Being a scholarship donee makes me incredibly nervous. I was the only one recommended by the local Consulate where I applied. It kinda worries me to let them down.

I wish all of you good luck and it would be nice if we could keep contact from now on since we will be leaving to the same journey!

Hey Charruakun,

Really great to hear from you, and congratulations on the scholarship!!

I haven't had any direct contact from the university either. My embassy contact told me that she would send me more information as it came through from Tokyo, so I think I'll just wait for her instructions. :) I'm sure it won't be long now!

Haha, I'm nervous too, but don't get too worried~! The reason why you were selected by MEXT is that they are confident that you're up to the task (...not very modest, am I...😄). Besides, having independently funded your study in Japan once before, I'm sure you must be a hard worker and are well deserving.

I was thinking the same -- it would be nice to keep in touch.

Congrats again and fingers crossed that your info comes through soon!

Back
Top Bottom