What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2014

Hey Raj,

We discussed the difference between 一般枠 (general programme) and the 特別枠 (special programmes, International Priority Graduate Programs) in the previous page of this thread. Please, take a look at our previous posts, it should be clear :)

Cheers!
My situation is same as kibo and overgasra....but i want to share one thing that i emailed last month with my cv and got professor who accepted me and sent me MEXT scholarship document and told me to send all the document to him ...and i sent within May 16....but i do not get any acceptance letter from my Graduate school...untill now....actually i do'nt know what is happening ...i feel really reluctant asking about this because he did accept me and i thought nothing to worry....i do'nt know is it same as me with you guys.....Did you get acceptance letter under th IPGP application.... Although my professor only told me about MEXT not PGP ....but i saw my graduate school news event PGS application and same deadline....thats why i m sure about PGP....
hope better for all waiting frds....

Last edited:
My situation is same as kibo and overgasra....but i want to share one thing that i emailed last month with my cv and got professor who accepted me and sent me MEXT scholarship document and told me to send all the document to him ...and i sent within May 16....but i do not get any acceptance letter from my Graduate school...untill now....actually i do'nt know what is happening ...i feel really reluctant asking about this because he did accept me and i thought nothing to worry....i do'nt know is it same as me with you guys.....Did you get acceptance letter under th IPGP application.... Although my professor only told me about MEXT not PGP ....but i saw my graduate school news event PGS application and same deadline....thats why i m sure about PGP....
hope better for all waiting frds....

Hey there~! I think it's okay to ask your professor. When it was still May and no results have come out yet, I emailed my professor almost every other week because I was eager to know the results and he would always reassure me that it would arrive soon. It's good to have a good relationship with your professor since you'll be working with him throughout your research. :)

Hi all,

For applicants who have applied or is applying as research students,
could you tell me the difference between a research student and a master student?

Thanks in advance...

Hi all,

For applicants who have applied or is applying as research students,
could you tell me the difference between a research student and a master student?

Thanks in advance...

From my understanding, what research student do is research in your laboratory and if you want you can enroll in a Japanese class.
Also as it name suggest you will not granted any degree from being a research student.

However, in this case we are just become a research student in order to prepare for a master course examination.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Hi all,

SeeleTH, thanks for replying, i appreciate this.

I think that the purpose of being a research student is to know more about researching process,
i understand that a research student is a non-degree program, but what i want to know is how what
a research student working on differ from what a master student is working on?

Also, when you guys wrote your study plan as required by the application forms what are the main points you considered?

Thanks...

Last edited:
Once you enter the MA programme, there may or may not be classes (lectures) you must attend in order to obtain the credits necessary to receive the MA. A research student would not be taking those classes.

That being said, every case, faculty, department, and university can be different.

hi, I'm applying to special training college this year and I've been wondering if the maths test will be important during qualification to interview. [I'm applying for a major in art, so I won't be using maths]

I haven't seen Informatics website, but in Economics website, they refer that top 4 students of 8 international students admitted to the programme are eligible to receive the Japanese Government (Ministry of Education, or MEXT) Scholarship.

You also applied to Informatics in Kyoto University. I think we will know the result aroung the end of June

Hello mate
How are you?
Did you get any news?

Hello mates,

I called to the International office of my faculty and they said that they haven't received the results, maybe they will receive the results next week and they'll write me as soon as they receive the results.

So the waiting will take some days more… 😌

I asked the International Office and they said that the results are to be released in the beginning of July. Hopefully they'll be out next week...

Hey just wanted to say that i disagree with the math not being university level. I am in canada and still have math grade 11 and 12 to do but i had my brother who is a math major in university and he said to do well on the test i would have to do and AP calculus course that our school offers. this course is a university level course and in my brothers opinion I would have to have a strong understanding of it to do well on these tests. of course this is for the canadian school system. because i am doing my last two years as one and the calculus course is a year long rather than a semester I am going to get a math tutor instead to help me figure out the math I need specifically for this test. just saying dont go in expecting it to just be school level.\

Hey everyone,

There are 11 pages on this thread, so I kinda skipped to the last one. Maybe my question has been answered already, so sorry if I missed it.
Anyways, I just have some general questions about the MEXT scholarship. Right now Im a sophomore in American high school, which is 10th grade. I have done some research on universities I'd like to go to in Japan, and I figured the only ones possibly worth my time are Kyoto University and Tokyo University. That being said, would I have to take the entrance exams for those schools, as well as some sort of test for MEXT? Would trying for Kyoto U and Toudai be a little too daring? Is the test for MEXT what is called the "preliminary screening"? What subjects are within this test? Do you think its possibly a bad thing to speak too much Japanese? I am in a sort of unique situation of having a dual citizenship with the US and Japan ever since I was a little kid, will that cause any problems? I asked a lot of questions. I apologize for my ignorance, if there happens to be lots of information about this that I didn't find on the university websites somehow. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

There are 11 pages on this thread, so I kinda skipped to the last one. Maybe my question has been answered already, so sorry if I missed it.
Anyways, I just have some general questions about the MEXT scholarship. Right now Im a sophomore in American high school, which is 10th grade. I have done some research on universities I'd like to go to in Japan, and I figured the only ones possibly worth my time are Kyoto University and Tokyo University. That being said, would I have to take the entrance exams for those schools, as well as some sort of test for MEXT? Would trying for Kyoto U and Toudai be a little too daring? Is the test for MEXT what is called the "preliminary screening"? What subjects are within this test? Do you think its possibly a bad thing to speak too much Japanese? I am in a sort of unique situation of having a dual citizenship with the US and Japan ever since I was a little kid, will that cause any problems? I asked a lot of questions. I apologize for my ignorance, if there happens to be lots of information about this that I didn't find on the university websites somehow. Thank you!

For those who want to answer this, please do so. Because I only have one answer for this one. It's best to call the Japanese embassy in your country first because you have a special case. As for the answers to your other questions, it's better if you read the other pages and/or forums first before asking. You know that your question may have been answered by previous posts, why not read it first before asking? I'm sorry for being frank, but it shows that you don't want that scholarship enough for you to read and research about it first. It's like you want an easy answer and fast.

But anyway, seriously, please call the Japanese embassy for your case because they also process the Mext scholarship and because your wanting to get the scholarship might end in nothing because of your dual citizenship.

Good luck~

For those who want to answer this, please do so. Because I only have one answer for this one. It's best to call the Japanese embassy in your country first because you have a special case. As for the answers to your other questions, it's better if you read the other pages and/or forums first before asking. You know that your question may have been answered by previous posts, why not read it first before asking? I'm sorry for being frank, but it shows that you don't want that scholarship enough for you to read and research about it first. It's like you want an easy answer and fast.

But anyway, seriously, please call the Japanese embassy for your case because they also process the Mext scholarship and because your wanting to get the scholarship might end in nothing because of your dual citizenship.

Good luck~
Well, you're probably right. Im only a sophomore so I have a lot of time to think about it, and I dont really need concrete detailed answers yet, so I figured here would be enough, considering its full of people who know lots about the subject. I suppose in a year or so when I start junior year, if I still am thinking about it I will take your advice. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

People with japanese nationality aren't allowed to get the scholarship. Now you are allowed to renounce your japanese citizenship and be eligible. Technically you actually are forced to renounce one of your citizenships before you hit 22 but in reality it's more of a don't ask don't tell situtation where as long as you don't flaunt your dual citizenship in Japan you can keep it.

If you value your japanese citizenship you shouldn't get the MEXT scholarship. You can just apply directly to the university and take the entrance exam though. The university costs in Japan are definately not as high as America (or at least from what I hear, not sure what the university cost range is in America but it's definately cheaper than the more expensive ones). You can even see if the US has any scholarships that are offered to US Citizens to study abroad.

Subjects taken depend on your field but there's a few standard ones, pretty much like SAT and SAT-II except much harder (math goes up to AP level and features a ton of stuff from lower levels that were never really taught. I got an 5 in AP Calc and I think at most I could barely pass back then). The MEXT test isn't really a preliminary screening as another ranking exam to determine elgibility for the scholarship itself.

Got my VISA

Hey people,
I applied for my Visa last Friday and got it on Wednesday (Tuesday being an Indian holiday).
Apparently, if you are a MEXT scholar then your name is on a list which the embassy/consulate has.
They issue you a 2 year visa. No questions asked.
Actually my Visa was ready in 1 day. So if anyone has any doubts regarding this then do ask me.
Regards.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is anyone here that applied for the Teacher Training Scholarship. I'm anxious about the results and can't find it anywhere...I don't know if there is a lot of people who try for this kind of scholarship...

So, is there anybody who already got its results?

thanks anyway!

Hey people,
I applied for my Visa last Friday and got it on Wednesday (Tuesday being an Indian holiday).
Apparently, if you are a MEXT scholar then your name is on a list which the embassy/consulate has.
They issue you a 2 year visa. No questions asked.
Actually my Visa was ready in 1 day. So if anyone has any doubts regarding this then do ask me.
Regards.

I got mine too just today 👍

hey there ... posts are little bit confusing and even lengthy too .. can you tell me if in case of university nominated candidates for ipg program.. can mext reject his candidature ?
will very great full to you?

Hi there! I'm sorry I misread your private message earlier, and so I wasn't able to put in other information. But anyway, from the previous posts and experiences of other people, even when recommended by the university, there's still a chance of being rejected by MEXT. For the case of IPGP, there was one here (sorry, I can't recall who) who posted that in their university there's been a 100% chance of passes in the past few years. Of course, this is in their university so for other universities, maybe their statistics will vary.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong 😌

Back
Top Bottom