What's new

Need help choosing university in Japan

Niwlun

後輩
2 Jan 2009
I am looking for a university in Japan to study. My main goal is to study Japanese but if possible I'd like courses in Japanese culture, society, politics as well. Schools like Seio, Sophia, and others look really good but unfortunately I am limited to schools with which my university has relations with:

Kobe- Konan University
International Christian University(Tokyo)
University of Kanazawa
Kansai Gaidai- Osaka
University of Tsukuba
Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies
Seinan Gakuin- Fukuoka

I am at the moment leaning towards Konan, ICU. From their descriptions they sound better than the others but I'd like to get real life knowledge and opinions!

I definately would like to avoid living in an international dorm. I'd either like to house with a Japanese roommate or in a homestay, and I know some of these programs offer homestay. I'd like to avoid the "english bubble" as much as possible. I'd like to choose a program that integrates with Japanese as much as possible.

I hear that at Kansai Gaidai english speakers tend to stay together and don't integrate much with Japanese students and that the academic rigor is very low. Anyone have any comments on this or if there are similar situations? Nagasaki Uni of foreign studies, seinan gakuin sound very similar to kansai gaidai to me so I'd like to hear opinions.

Also, any information on Tsukuba? I hear it's a decent school but some people said its lacking in infrastructure. Otherwise I haven't heard much. Any comments on any of the above institutions especially concerning japanese learning programs, housing for foreign students, student programs, foreign student interactions with native students, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm an associate Prof. of Nagasaki Univ, so I know about state of affairs of the
Universities. I recommend Tsukuba Univ. The University is a real University. The other you listed, I cannot say call them "University".

I hear that at Kansai Gaidai english speakers tend to stay together and don't integrate much with Japanese students and that the academic rigor is very low. Anyone have any comments on this or if there are similar situations?

This is sometimes the case no matter where you go.
I like to have a good mix of doing "foreigner things" with my fellow foreigner friends (i.e., having a get together at somebody's house for drinks, movie, whatever... not a very Japanese activity), but I also have things that I do with Japanese friends.
Every university has a pretty nice variety of "bukatsu" (club activities), and if there's one you're interested in, I'm sure they'll very happily let you join.
You can do baseball (they probably play with a rubber ball, but it's still baseball), "footsal" or soccer, basketball, maybe American football (depending on the school), kendo, judo, karate, tennis, brass band, jazz band, rock bands, and all sorts of other stuff. There'll be organized drinking parties for the whole club from time to time, and probably if you become good friends with a small group within the club, you'll find yourself going out with them sometimes too. Also a lot of clubs might do onsen stayovers in the countryside, or ski trips during the winter, things like that. It's a very big social outlet for Japanese students, and a good way to make friends with Japanese people and not just other exchange students.

Hope that helps! :)

^Thanks for your input. I know if you are determined yourself to have a good balance or not rely on English then you can succeed better in more situations. I was just going off the fact some people told me that it is easier to fall into being accustomed to speaking English and not learning as much Japanese at such places. I'm considering applying still.

I'm an associate Prof. of Nagasaki Univ, so I know about state of affairs of the
Universities. I recommend Tsukuba Univ. The University is a real University. The other you listed, I cannot say call them "University".

Yea I can see how a few of these aren't very 'real' university. Though I do hear ICU is a good school. Also I am considering the program in Kobe. Right now I am leaning towards applying to the International Christian University, Uni of Tsukuba, Konan Uni, and Kansai Gaidai programs.

Anyone have any experience with Tsukuba, Konan, or ICU? I know it's a stretch to find people with experiences or knowledge of these schools, but any info would help. : )

Back
Top Bottom