1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Mojibake 文字化け

Dear valued Members, due to the recent forum conversion a lot of threads in the 日本語 section still display garbled Japanese characters. We are aware of the situation and work hard on resolving this issue. As all the corrections have to be done manually, this will take some time. We thank you for your patience and understanding!

Birthday messages in Japanese?

Discussion in 'Learning Japanese' started by Daiten, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Daiten

Daiten 先輩
    先輩

Nov 6, 2005
    I am making a birthday card in Japanese for my friend and doing it in Shodo (Japanese calligraphy)...and I want to know how to write something like: "May your days be filled with happiness" and "Best wishes on your birthday"..Her birthday is tomorrow and yeah. So if its ok, please do translate these sentences in Japanese for me. Unfortunately, my browser cannot read Japanese right now since I just rebooted my computer and I am too lazy to download the Japanese font again (since I have to restart the computer and such) So if there is anyway like writing in Paint program and putting the image on here, please do so. Please also write it in Japanese with Kanji (if there are any in the sentence) and romaji as well. Arigato gozaimasu!!!

2. Buntaro

Buntaro 窶ー^窶慊ョ窶「s窶伉ォ
    先輩

Dec 27, 2003
    Happy birthday is Happi- Ba-sudei. Or you can go with O tanjoubi ni omedetou, although that seems a little too formal. Sorry, my PC doesn't support kanji either (I am staying in a hotel in the USA.)

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth 先輩
    先輩

Apr 22, 2003
    The standard greeting besides happy birthday itself, 窶堋ィ窶兮ツ青カ窶愿コ窶堋ィ窶堙溪?堙??堙??堋、窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。which I don't necessarily consider too formal is something like "May this year be another good/wonderful one" (Name of the person 窶堙俄?堙??堙≫?堙??氾??堋「ツ・窶惑ツ青ー窶堙ァ窶堋オ窶堋「窶扼窶堙??堋?窶堙ィ窶堙懌?堋キ窶堙ヲ窶堙可)ツ。窶兮ツ青カ窶愿コ窶堋ェ窶惑ツ青ー窶堙ァ窶堋オ窶堋「窶愿コ窶堙??堙遺?堙ィ窶堙懌?堋キ窶堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙可、窶ケF窶堙≫?堙??堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。 (I pray your birthday is a wonderful day)ツ 窶惑ツ青ー窶堙ァ窶堋オ窶堋「窶兮ツ青カ窶愿コ窶堙ーナ筑窶堋ヲ窶堙ァ窶堙ェ窶堙懌?堋キ窶堙ヲ窶堋、窶堙可。 (Have a wonderful birthday) are also OK, though. They all convey the basic message to have a good or wonderful day or year which implies happiness and best wishes, etc. in the Western way of thinking.
    ツ 

4. Nicky

Nicky 先輩
    先輩

Jan 23, 2006
    Here's some of the stuff Elizabeth suggested, in picture form, since you can't see Japanese fonts yet.
    [​IMG]

5. Mike Cash

Mike Cash Delusions of Adequacy
    先輩 Donor

Mar 15, 2002
    So you're too damned lazy to reboot your computer, but you expect total strangers to not only do a free translation job for you but to also go the extra mile to cover the gap left by your laziness?

It's not every girl lucky enough to snag a guy like you.

6. Daiten

Daiten 先輩
    先輩

Nov 6, 2005
    Ummm...ok that rude remark was uncalled for. Besides, my friends birthday was the very next day so i did not have time to do anything. Take care

7. yukio_michael

yukio_michael Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2005
    You'll probably not read this, but in the future, when you are asking people to do things for you, it's probably not a good idea to let them know what they're doing is primarily a result of you being "too lazy" to do something as simple as turn on Japanese font display in your browser or application.

For example, I think Elizabeth, who contributes a great deal to these forums probably missed that in your post--- her post is useful to everyone else on this forum who's browser can interpret Japanese encoding, but not to you, the person who asked the question, and soley because you were in your own words, too lazy.

Someone else, was kind enough to take a snapshot, upload it to a server somewhere, and host that image, solely because again, you were too lazy.

Perhaps the better thing for you to have done would have been to thank the people who helped you; instead you chose to rail against the one person who called you out on this.

epigene likes this.