What's new

Chinese Food vs. Japanese Food

Which do you perfer? Chinese Food or Japanese Food?

• Chinese!

Votes: 50 19.5%
  • Japanese!

Votes: 77 30.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 127 49.4%
  • I hate both... -.-

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
Both, but Japanese food at the moment (considering I'm in the UK temporarily and the Japanese food here is so overpriced...), though I love Chinese food equally. And Italian. And Mexican. And American. Yes, I'm a chowhound.

samuraitora said:
Fortune Cookies are an americanized chinese food...like pizza in Italy is nothing like it is here.

I am Australian and my ethnicity/race is Chinese, and I have never been served fortune cookies at home or at other Chinese friends' houses or in the Chinese restaurants in Australia or if I go on vacation to places like HK, SG, and Taiwan...etc. Fortune cookies are definitely an American Chinese thing.:haihai:

Fortune cookies were invented right here in my hometown of Los Angeles, California. Thirty years ago, I hear they were all but unknown in China and even now, they are only common in big cities where foreigners visit.

For health issues I eat a lot of Chinese and Japanese food. I prefer Japanese-- almost daily-- but I will eat almost anything.

Many have said Chinese foods are greasy while Japanese foods are healthy. I think it depends on your choices. As Chinese cuisine is very broad in comparison to Japanese cuisine I mean just take a look at the size of China, it is a big country with an enormous varieties of foods. If you don't like the grease for health reasons stay away from fry and deep fry dishes go for steam, braise, boil, and stir fry (little oil). Eating high fat foods in moderation in combination with healthy lifestyles like walking will not get you fat.:78:

Many have also mentioned that Chinese restaurants appeared dirty while Japanese restaurants appeared clean. I hear this sort of comments from a lot of my Caucasian friends and at the same time being often mistaken to be Japanese rather than Chinese maybe because I appear neater to them and to other Caucasians. In some European countries I had to argue I am not Japanese. I think it is a stereotype but also that Japan is a very wealthy country compare to communist China. (I am not from China but I am Chinese by ethnicity/race.) I think the hygiene standards will change in time. The Chinese people who live in first world countries for a long time probably look neater and tidier because of higher of standards of living, no offence to the mainland Chinese.🙇‍♂️

About my choice, I don't think I prefer Chinese food over Japanese even though my ethnicity /race is Chinese, but I don't always prefer Japanese over Chinese neither. I think I like all sorts of tasty cuisines of the world. My diet is very international. I eat Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, French, Italian, and Greek and even North African foodsツ….etc well; I tried Lebanese cuisine the other day. Well I don't like it but maybe I should try more before I judge.:eek:

With the chicken feet comments, well there is a saying where they say Chinese eating anything that four legs on the ground except table or chair
Chinese eating anything that flies in the sky which you can see except airplanes
Chinese eating anything that swims in the river and the sea except submarines 😊
However this comment is not true for me!:)

Last edited:
Gee...I dunno.

I eat Chinese food often (am Chinese) so, it's good. I love it. Anything from Japan tastes heavenly to me so I love it too.

Can't choose...*gasp* am so hungry...*faints*

I wrote somewhere on this thread that I liked Japanese food better, because Chinese food didnt really cut the mustard.
However last month when I went to China I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very delicious, and much tastier than anything I had had before, save the roast pork fried rice I used to get at my local chinese takeaways in NZ.

Kara_Nari said:
However last month when I went to China I was very pleasantly surprised. It was very delicious, and much tastier than anything I had had before, save the roast pork fried rice I used to get at my local chinese takeaways in NZ.

yes i must say food in China is soooooo much better than the stuff here....though the food in the NY Chinatown is good as it is..

but since i eat chinese food everyday japanese food is great for a change

Microage97 said:
I don't know about Chinese food. I mean it is great but I think 窶堙??堙ア窶堙披?堙ィ rocks esp. 窶堙??堙ア窶堙??堙アツ。 Chinese tends to be so greasey for my tastes but I can eat JPN foods all day long.

I completely agree! I mean, I love Chinese food as my second favorite, though my one experience in Chinatown has me so-so (then again it could've just been one bad experience) but I do find Chinese food a lot heavier than Japanese and I also love donburi XD.

Even though i am used to my mommy italian food, I have to say that I just love Japanese food. I've been living for a year in Vancouver and in the BC the japanese community it's really big, I guess 'cause Japan it's not so far, so you can get really cheap but great Japanese food...and I was used to eat it 3 times a week =)
About the chinese food...I don't know, I mean I like it but usually what we get in the western country it's not what they really cook in China...so I would like to try the original one to taste the difference and I am aware of the fact that there are soooooooooo many types of chinese food.

W the SASHIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Chinese food. <3
Korean food is love too. <3
I haven't tried too many Japanese foods to judge on that. I've tried sushi, udon, soba, and tempura. And they all taste heavenly but when I was on Continental Airlines's Buisness class, they served Japanese cuisine and it wasn't that tasty. Too fishy.

I like both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Coming from Hawaii I had a lot of opportunity to sample both cultures. Although there is a much stronger Japanese food influence in Hawaii, the chinese food is delicious. I like Japanese food for times when I want to eat but don't want to feel the heaviness of the food. If I want to get filled up, I go Chinese. Japanese food is excellent for satisfying your appetite with great tasting dishes. Chinese food is great for making you unable to move afterward with great tasting dishes. Love em both.

Unfortunately I'm in NY, chinese food is junk food [too much oil! :S they just stuff it in there, I didn't finish the first plate and I was already full with all that oil!] Japanese because I love it, it tastes good, it's healthy and it's less oily [well at least what I usually order ]

chinese-american food XD one i taste real chinese food and i really couldn't stand it.... it was to strong for me.. the same for japanese food... it's.. too... much... for... my tounge. @.@

For health issues I eat a lot of Chinese and Japanese food. I prefer Japanese-- almost daily-- but I will eat almost anything.
I don't need health issues to eat Chinese and Japanese food!! 😌
My ultimate life goal is to be able to afford to order Chinese and Japanese food every day of my life, so my kitchen's function is reduced to decoration. 😊

Chinese food has excellent variety of regional cuisines,many gourmet dishes are NOT oily at all.:)

I can't explain it though,Americanized Chinese-Cantonese junk-food cater to non-Chinese clientele is greasiest Chinese food.☝

Mmm, both! I have have some lovely things here in Taiwan, and I had some lovely things in Japan! Now just thinking about those time, I am getting hungry (but I stuffed my self tonight...)
I just love curry MMM Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai, any kind is great!

well, if you're talking about different styles of Chinese food, generally there are four schools:

Northern
Based in North China, this cuisine uses wheat as a staple rather than rice. Oily, dark textures and large, filling dishes of noodles, dumplings or meat help the Northern Chinese shiver through cold winters.

Western
The most famous variant of this school is based in Sichuan Province (Where I am right now!) the food has a lot of peppercorns and spices in it, a lot of things are very spicy and can give you heartburn quite easily if you're not used to it. Very strong, very distinct flavours.

Eastern
Not quite as distinguished as the other three "schools", Eastern China based around the mouth of the Yangzi (Shanghai, Nanjing, etc) tends to also use oils, salt and a lot of sweet sauces in their foods. Popular choice in winter.

Southern
Based around the steaming semi-tropical coastline of Canton and Hong Kong, this cuisine prefers to bring out the natural flavours of ingredients. Relatively little oil is used, and seafood is quickly steamed with only a hint of ginger perhaps. Has wide variation of ingredients. Most western "Chinese" food has its origins here. (Although the HK/Canton version of course is WAYY better) Believe it or not, sweet and sour pork does exist here, but it is ordered relatively rarely and is "balanced" out with a veggie dish usually. Dim Sum also comes from this area.

I'm not overly familiar with regional variations in Japanese food, I would find that a very interesting topic. I only know Sushi came out of Edo (Tokyo) and that Okonomiyaki, Tako-yaki and battera sushi (sp?) came out of Osaka. Also the bottomless Soba from Tohoku and the Ruibe sashimi from Hokkaido. (I loved the way a book described Ruibe: "Take a salmon and leave it in the snow of a Hokkaido winter. Wait. Enjoy".)

Anyone want to enlighten me?

Back
Top Bottom