What's new

Do you Washi?

Otosan-no-Conan

Otosan-no-Conan
7 May 2005
On my last trip to Japan my wife ran me through a department store on our way to find a restroom that was clean and not over crowded, found it on the 7th or 8th floor... very nice.... Anyway while waiting for her to rejoin me I wandered around the floor looking at various sculptures, vases, swords, dolls and wall art.

I found an image that really grabbed my attention as I had never seen the medium/technique before. The picture was of 5 mounted samurai charging the viewer while coming out of a rising sun in the background. It was done using the washi technique... basically glueing fiberous colored paper to a backboard and then tearing it into the desired shape. It reminded me of paint blotting but having more texture. I was completely intrigued by the implied detail, especially of the horses and armor. I really wanted to take a picture of it but felt that would be very improper.

I was so moved by the washi piece that I had my wife take me to an art shop where we purchased a beginner kit containing a couple of flowers on a stem. We did it that evening with the in-laws as a family bonding project. Surprisingly it turned out just like the photo.

Has anyone ever done washi?
Also does anyone have links to traditional Japanese artworks on the web?

I used to collect beautiful ヒ彗ナス窶?ツ washi paper.
When I went to Japan last time, I bought a beautiful piece of washi thinking to make a lampshade with it.

I think what you and your family created is called "Chigiri-e" in Japanese.

Many Japanese enjoy creating such pictures as a hobby have posted pictures of their works on the Web. I googled it and found many. I'll post links to Google search hits in Japanese and in English. Most of them are hobbyist sites. Click wherever on each site to find their works.

chigirie - Google Search

ちぎり絵 - Google Search

One such site:
http://www.interq.or.jp/leo/mymama/index.html

Hope you like them! :)

I am planning to get authentic washi paper to make my own shōji for my windows home. I like the traditional japanese shōji that I have seen in movies.

Back
Top Bottom