What's new

Donburi

Dogen Z

aka YOSUQUE
23 Apr 2007
It's still a bit too hot in Tokyo to really enjoy a good bowl of donburi, but I wanted to start a thread on this dish anyway. Donburi can be anything placed on a bowl of rice - beef (gyudon), tempura (tendon), tonkatsu w/eggs (katsudon), chicken w/eggs (oyakodon), tuna (magurodon), salmon eggs (ikuradon), etc.
There's even a thing called loco moco, which is hamburger, fried egg, and brown gravy over a bowl of rice - kind of gross in my opinion but still donburi. So it's basically a variation of a Japanese dish, not really Hawaiian as most think.
If you're really hungry, donburi will satisfy. Try it the next time you're at a Japanese restaurant.

Just curious, is unadon from Japan as barren as it is outside if the country? Locally it usually consists of only rice and a lump of eel.
While I do like eel, unadon seems kind of lacking in comparison to the other donburi.

Just curious, is unadon from Japan as barren as it is outside if the country? Locally it usually consists of only rice and a lump of eel.
While I do like eel, unadon seems kind of lacking in comparison to the other donburi.

Sorry, I didn't see your post till now.

Look at this site: ã†ãªé‡ï½œãžãˆãžãˆãã£ã¨

That's how it's usually served in Japan. In a rectangular dish, rather than a round bowl (the bowl is actually the donburi). So it's called unaju and typically has at least two slices of eel on top of a bed of rice.

mmm, I love oyakodon! I really want to try unadon because I love eel. I tried ikura sushi and well....maybe it was the unfamiliar taste but I thought it was revolting. Waaay too salty and I barely added any soy sauce at all. I would probably love a donburi that was just a big mound of seasoned egg. I just love eggs soo much because they are so yummy and fluffy and easy to chew. Is there such a thing as a tamagoyaki donburi? =)

Sorry, I didn't see your post till now.
Look at this site: (link)
That's how it's usually served in Japan. In a rectangular dish, rather than a round bowl (the bowl is actually the donburi). So it's called unaju and typically has at least two slices of eel on top of a bed of rice.
that makes me really hungry! It looks sooooo good!

Last edited:
Itoko Don

You probably know about oyako don (parent & child bowl) that's made with chicken and eggs, but you probably haven't had itoko don (cousin bowl) that's made with beef and eggs. So I thought it might be useful to post the recipe.

4 cups hot cooked rice

1 1/2 cups water
150 g. thinly sliced beef
1 bamboo shoot, slivered
1/2 round onion, cut into thin slices

1-2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/8 cup mirin

1/8 cup minced green onion
2 eggs, beaten

Boil water, then add beef, bamboo, round onion, and middle 3 ingredients listed above. Simmer 1-2 min.

Add green onion, pour beaten egg over beef mixture. Cover and cook 1/2 min.

Divide over individual bowls of hot rice. Garnish with nori, if desired. Approx. 2 servings.

Salmon Oyakodon

Sake no Oyakodon

As mentioned in the previous post, oyakodon is usually made with chicken and eggs. However, there's a delicious seafood variation using salmon and salmon roe. While most recipes use raw salmon, I would use smoked salmon because it's safer to eat and tastes better (imo).

i like chicken w/ egg but if my parents made vegetable soup i just put it on top of my rice which is pretty much close to donburi to me

I think my favorite donburi bowl would have to be gyudon. I remember the first time a friend visited me, he got grossed out with it. The meal was not hot enough to cook the yolk of the egg which he was not that familiar with. I had to finish two meals and order him tendon instead. I was a little wary of this as well when I first got here but got in good terms with it after a while. There are just some who do not have the stomach to try things out.

Back
Top Bottom